1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Couple of questions from an Amateur

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Cosmo1111, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Cosmo1111

Cosmo1111 Regular member

Hey
    I have been hearing how good DVD burners are and I got about 200 DVD’s already and I have already lost 15 in 6 months. So I’m in urgent need of making backups and stuff.

Well I just need the best advice on what to buy, use and how to operate them.

1. Well I need to know whether to buy + or -. I remember reading only one will burn DVD’s.

2. What rip software do you recommend me to download?

3. Can I delete the special features with the DVD rip I download?

4. I have already got 2 CD-ROMs. One is a CD-ROM on its own and the other is a DVD player and CD-ROM. I was told this is good. Do I put the DVD movie in my DVD drive and the DVDR in the DVD BURNER?

5. Is the X12, X4 how fast it will burn?

6. Are there any brands I should avoid?

7. I read that have many layers of the DVD indicates how many GB the DVD is. Please explain.

8. In a DVD Burner. What does ‘dual layer’ mean?

9. What does 'Shrink' mean?

OT. 10. How to print pictures onto a DVD disc.

OT. 11. A good site to get disc pictures from and DVD covers.

Sorry for so many questions. If you could give me links as well. That would be hell cool.

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Ok here are my [bold]opinions[/bold]

1)get a dual format + and - drive. it'll burn both.
    2) dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. both free and available here in the software section with guides for both in the guide section.
    3)yes
    4)yes
    5)yes but i don't recommend burning movies over 4X
    6)don't know. pioneer and plextor seem highly recommended around here.
    7)movies on sigle layer disc are referred to as DVD5 (4.36G disc capacity) movies on dual layer discs are referred to as DVD9 (8.72G capacity)
    8)A dual layer dvd burner is capable of burning dual layer blank media (DVD9). there are two layers of storage space each able to hold 4.36G
    9)Shrink is a program that rips movie files(removes the copy protection) and can compresses those files to fit onto a DVD5.

Try the search feature at the top of the page to find more info. Good luck!

3. Cosmo1111

Cosmo1111 Regular member

hey..thanks for that

..you said that you dont recommend anything over X4.

Well i see X4, X12, X16.

but I do recall X2's

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

You can buy a 8X or higher drive and get disc that will write that fast and burn all the data discs as fast as your little heart desires but I will not recommend burning a movie disc above 4X. I always burn my movies at 4X. Many others feel the same way. Crap media definitely doesn't like to be burned fast either. Some times with crap media you have to burn at 2.4X to get a good burn. I forgot to mention that when you get started try using a couple RW discs at first. Most people screw up their first couple of tries at burning movies. With RW discs you can just erase and try again. No wasted discs. With regular +/-R discs, once they'be been initialized then you're stuck with whatever is on them...partial or full, good or bad.