1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Couple of Uber Noob Questions on Ripping

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by DaaDeeOh, Jan 10, 2007.

1. DaaDeeOh

DaaDeeOh Member

Well I have to say this is one of the best sites I have seen for information on well pretty much everything media related. I am amazed at the amount of info here, well done!

I have a Sony DCR-DVD202 camcorder which when finalized leaves me with my home movies on a dvd. I am currently using a Dazzle80 with Windows Movie Maker to get the video from my dvd disk to my PC for editing.

There has got to be a better way for me to get this video from the dvd to my pc, I am loosing a lot of quality with the Dazzle80. I want to rip the video from the DVD to my pc. (i have a dvd burner)

When and if I do rip the video from the dvd to my pc, what format will the video be in?

And finally how hard will it be and the cheapest (freeware hopefully) way for me to convert the video to a format of my choice.

Thanks for any help folks, and again, great site...

2. maliaus

maliaus Guest

your camera has a 1 meg CCD, this gives you only 690,000 effective pixels, at best you might get 640X480 resolution out of this with everything tweaked. Your capturing ANALOG signals into a digital format, without a seperate DIGITAL VIDEO CAPTURE card (ie: Canopus)and a decent video editing software program you wont change much quality wise using the dazzle thingy. If your system is up to it and it has a firewire capture port on it and is enabled, there is a chance you can use that port to capture your video from your camera with out using a sep. card. But that depends on your system specs and power.
    Check to see if your trying to capture at a resolution more then what your camera is capable of capturing. 1 meg CCD - you can barely push it to 640X480 resolution. -ZoWillie-

3. DaaDeeOh

DaaDeeOh Member

Thanks for the reply.

My camera does not have a fire wire port, just the rca, i do not even have a s-video connection. If I could turn back time i would have bought a different camera, this one although very user friendly, is not very functional.

Is there a way to rip the finalized dvd to my pc??? or do I have to rip from dvd to dvd?