1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A DVD2OneX Newbie Needs Your Help

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by macDIESEL, Feb 14, 2004.

1. macDIESEL

macDIESEL Member

Hello

I used dvd2onex to backup my first DVD movie. The quality was to me horrible. Maybe I expected too much, a dvd from 7+GBs shrunken down to 4.4gB is alot, so I guess the quality would suck. That was the whole movie. I know I could backup only the movie but I want more control than what I'm given.

1.What I would like to do is view my ripped VOB files (used dvdbackup) with another program so I can see exactly what the file contains and then keep or delete the stuff I don't want. If it's still bigger than 4.4gbs, I can then use dvd2onex, but it won't have to shrunk that much at all, so the quality will be better. Is there a mac program (pc too, if you know any) I use to can view my vob files to pick & choose what I want from the vobs?

In the dvd2onex:

2.Beside the "Copy" dropdown, I know what Film & Join is used for but what and how is Disk Copy used?

3.Ratio: Variable or Constant. Which is better for which situation?

4.In the main dvd2one window, theres "title" , "chapters", "angles" and "duration" . Under chapters, I assume that the ones with more chapters is the main movie? So what about the ones with 1 or 2 chapters.

5.For the "audio" section, I see things like:

AC3 6ch English
    AC3 6ch French (or whatever language)
    AC3 2ch English

I want to choose Englsih, but which one? what's the 2ch for?

I'm sorry this is a long post, and I appreciate your patience. thanks

Karl

2. Londor

Londor Guest

Using DVD2OneX you can choose to either compress just the film ( choose film and use a variable ratio to get the best results ) or the whole DVD keeping all the menus and other stuff ( choose disk copy and use a constant ratio ). I have never used the join option. It will work great in both cases but you have to think that you are compressing to around 4.3GB, so the bigger the original file is the more you need to compress it ( loosing quality in the process ). Anyway just try to compress the whole DVD and if you are not happy with the quality just go for the film.

The titles that have just 1 or 2 chapters are for the extra stuff you get in the original DVD like menus, the warning message about piracy, etc. But don't bother about this. As I said if the quality is too poor for the whole DVD just compress the film.

About the audio section if you just want the English language just tick the AC3 6ch English box (dolby surround) or the DTS 5ch English box (digital sound DTS) if the film has the two audio options. The 2ch ones are just a stereo signal (original sound or comments by someone about how the movie was made).

I can tell you that I used it to compress The Two Towers (just the film plus just one of the languages in AC3 6ch) which is a little bit over 3 hours long and the quality was awesome and I don't think you are gonna ever compress movies that are longer than this one.

Rafa.

3. macDIESEL

macDIESEL Member

Thanks a lot for your answer Londor. I appreciate it.

I just compressed the The Two Towers as well, just to see for myself. I followed your advice and AMAZING! I'm hooked with this DVD ripping and burning stuff.

Is there a way to view the chapters or titles from a ripped DVD within DVD2OneX app (I have version 1.21 installed)? or any other program (mac or pc?) DVD Shrink for my pc does this & I delete the things I don't want, but I want even more control.

Thanks in advance

Karl

4. Londor

Londor Guest

Hi Karl

I don't know of any program that will let you view what each title or chapter is but if you use MPlayer (http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/) you can see what there is in each of the VOB files you get after ripping the DVD.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Rafa

5. eikcam

eikcam Guest

Is DVD2ONEX available in the UK to buy if so were ive used
    the demo compressing a 7gig file on to standard disk picture
    was good.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2004
  6. eikcam

eikcam Guest

i've just finished using a new software called Fast DVD Copy got to say quality excellent and easy to use (demo only)

7. macDIESEL

macDIESEL Member

To Londor:

I tried using the Mplayer but it just doesn't run. Is it suppose to run natively in OSX or in Classic?

I have OS X.1.5

To Eikcam:

What type of software is it, does it shrink DVD9s to DVDRs? What's the URL and tell us more about it.

Karl

8. Londor

Londor Guest

Mplayer requires 10.2 or later but you can use VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Try to upgrade to 10.3 there is a lot of difference. ( I used
    10.1.x , 10.2.x and now I am on 10.3.3 and I can tell you it is
    worth upgrading especially if you are still on 10.1)

Fast DVD Copy will do a DVD backup with just one click (it will
    compress the film if necessary) but I was not impress with the
    quality (very poor for my taste), it is slow, you can not choose
    any settings, it is very expensive ($100) and on top of that the
    registration key is a pain in the arse. I would not use it even if
    it was free. Do a google search for it if you want the URL.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2004
  9. eikcam

eikcam Guest

To Macdiesel read Londor report on the Fast DVD Copy He's also got a link u can go to, so try it and see what u think it's free, but u only get one use, u have to get the code as well which is sent to u by email within a few hours

10. eikcam

eikcam Guest

To Londor.. What DVD software would u recomend to
    buy as i;m looking to purchase one

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2004
  11. Londor

Londor Guest

I use DVDBackup, 0sex or Mac the ripper to rip the movie (all of them are free).

Then I use DVD2oneX 1.3 to compress the film. It gives me the freedom to choose between the whole DVD or just the movie, the size of the output and also to choose just the laguage and subtitles I want (also you have the option to choose individual chapters). So normally I choose just the film and one language and one subtitle and the quality you get is very good. On top of that it only takes between 6-15 minutes on my computer to do the job.

For all of my burning needs I use Toast 6 Titanium with the only exception of burning music playlists from iTunes.

So the cost of DVD2oneX and Toast 6 together is higher than Fast DVD Copy but you get a lot more for your money.

12. Marchalis

Marchalis Member

Londor, do these backups work on your stand alone DVD player? I have not been able to play Mac burned DVD's on my Panasonic player - and I used the same software you described.

13. Londor

Londor Guest

The backups should work in any DVDPlayer providing it is compatible with the media you are using.

What brand and kind of media are you using? How are you burning the DVD in Toast?

14. Marchalis

Marchalis Member

I used 2 types of media - hp dvd+r 4.7GB 1x/2.4 speed
    and (2) another media that comes in both spindle and commercial-type plastic case, this has no label and is coloured cream on the label side. This particular one plays ripped DVD's loaned to me, in my player, but when I burn my own with this same "brand", the player won't read it.
    The HP media plays on the Mac but not the Panasonic.

Is there a software issue here? I use DVDBackup and DVD2OneX.

Also, I burned them by dropping the VIDEO_TS folder onto the DVD disc icon then selecting "Burn Disc" from the file menu.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  15. Londor

Londor Guest

I thought you were using Toast to burn the DVD. Anyway what you have to do is get DVD Imager to create a DVD image that can be burned using Disk utility.

http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/dvdimager.html

16. Marchalis

Marchalis Member

Thanks, I'll give this a try...

17. Marchalis

Marchalis Member

[bold]Well slap my knee and call me Sally![/bold]

That did the trick!!!
    Thank you so much for your assistance!!!

18. Londor

Londor Guest

If you have the Pioneer superdrive in your G5 I would recommend you to use Ritek G04 DVD-R media. Very good quality at a reasonable price. So far I have a 100% success rate using them and they play in every player I have tried them on. Just make sure they are A grade.

19. Marchalis

Marchalis Member

Great! I'll do a search for it and try to get some. Being located in the West Indies makes it a bit tricky though, but not impossible. Thanks for the recommendation.

20. eikcam

eikcam Guest

Marchalls what part of the west indies are you from