1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few different questions RE modding Xbox 360 ...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by mrphantom, Jun 16, 2007.

1. mrphantom

mrphantom Member

Hi Guys,

I've been torn between an xbox 360 and ps3 for a while, and have a few different questions. Sorry for posting stuff which is on here already, but some of the info might be outdated - I need the latest info ...

1. Is it ESSENTIAL to open an xbox to flash the drive firmware. How easy is it? How long does it take. I'm wondering because I don't know whether to buy a second hand unit, or a new and invalidate the warranty...

2. Is the 3 red light problem still an issue with new units? Is ebay a bad choice for getting an xbox because of the possibility of the error arising?

3. Is online play banned now? I've heard a rumor that microsoft have now stopped backups being played ...

4. How essential is the premium package? I'm not after a headset - and the hard drive is only for demo's/save games?

Cheers for any info guys ...

2. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

You could read the forum stickies that are usually updated.

Yes, you must open the 360 to do any type of chip/firmware mod. They do make items that you can use to NOT open the 360 again if you needed to update, but you MUST open once. And please take my advice, buy new or from someone you can trust that has a good moddable drive. i.e. 79FK and BenQ are not able to be soft modded yet.

2a. I haven't had one with the 3 360's I've bought in my time.
    2b. Do not buy from ebay as they are flodded with banned 360's and some evil sellers who won't mention this.

Online play is NOT banned. You must back your original games up and make sure that they are stealth patched in order to play online. In the future, they could ban us again but we'll be back. Even on a banned console, it doesn't prevent you playing backups, just accessing LIVE.

I'd get the premium because you'd still need a memory card to have any saved games. You also can't take advantage of the somewhat-backwards compatibilty with Xbox1 games because they require the HDD.

The HDD is for movies, game saves, tv shows, demos, pretty much anything you buy from Live marketplace.