1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few Dvd Movie backup questions?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Melissa25, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Melissa25

Melissa25 Member

Ok go easy on me cuzz I'm really new to this and not very up to date on the how to make backups.

About 2 years ago I got my husband a CD Writer to make back ups for his gross collection of computer games and storage and he's been happy with it ever since.

Now just last week our 3-year old tried to feed part of our Lord of the Rings boxed set to the dog so I figured now would be the perfect time to get him a DVD Writer so he could back up his Dvd Movies as well.

I've done a bunch of research on the web and this site(which is very good! :)) and one the things I'm having trouble understanding is the differences in size of Dvd Movies.

I assumed that if a movie is under 4.3GB you can put it on a single 4.7GB Dvd-R or Dvd+R(I was planning on getting him a Sony DRU-500A so either one i guess) and have no problems. But then you have movies that are longer or have extras that go over 4.3GB and at this point people keep talking about cutting out menu's and extra's to fit them on that single 4.7GB DVD. But what I don't understand is why you just can't get a blank DVD that is the same size as the Dvd Movie you want to back up? If one of your Dvd's is 2 discs or a double sided disc why not just back it up on 2 discs or a double sided disc?

I was under the impression that they only made DVD's in 2 sizes 4.7BG(Dvd-5?) and the 9+GB(Dvd-9?) that are just double sided versions of the Dvd-5. And thus that would mean that any movie you buy that is over 4.3GB(or 4.7+GB?) is going to be either on a double sided DVD(Dvd-9) or split into more then one DVD and in which case if you wanted to keep it fully intact when you back it up you would have to use a (Dvd-9) or 2 Dvd-5's just like the manufacturer did.

Granted not every Dvd Movie that goes over 4.3GB or 4.7GB is as large as 9+GB but it even the manufacturers have to use the double sided Dvds(Dvd-9's), Right??

Because if so then we could just use a Dvd-9 or 2 Dvd-5's to backup a Dvd Movie larger then Dvd-5 Capacity instead of trying to squeeze it down to fit on 1 single Dvd-5.

Sorry if I sound dumb some of it is hard to understand for me, but I know he's gonna want all the "extra's" and "menu's" on his backups. And I was just trying to make sure that if I get a Dvd movie that is say...1 double sided DVD(Dvd-9) then all I would need to make a complete back up copy of it is a blank Dvd-9 or optionally 2 Dvd-5's.

So I guess my question is, If I dont mind buying some "made for dummies" software like that "Dvd X Copy" program and also don't mind buying some extra blank Dvds would I be able to back up longer movies and at the same time keep the extra's?

I know my husband wouldn't mind buying the blank Dvd-9 or the extra Dvd-5 if it meant keeping all the menu's and extra's on a movie that is on a double sided Dvd because it's so long. Plus it sounds like that would make it much easier for a newbie like me to just use an easy 1-2-3 software program to make complete copy's and not have to worry about fudging things up. :)

Oh P.S. Are Dvd-9's just double sided Dvd-5's, cuzz I thought they were, and when movie's go longer then the size of a Dvd-5 doesn't the manufacturer either put them on two Dvd-5's or single a Dvd-9?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Lissa

Last edited: Dec 26, 2002
  2. Melissa25

Melissa25 Member

Ok just got done doing some more research and after learning about "Layers" found out what I thought were Dvd-9's were actually Dvd-10's.

So now it seems that if we have a Dvd-9(double layerd) the choice is to either back it up on a Dvd-9(do they sell Dvd-9s?) or Split it into 2 Dvd-5's or of course squish it into a Dvd-5.

Does anyone know of any good guides for "Splitting" all the guides I've found just tell you how to strip.

3. wheelerdr

wheelerdr Member

you can use ifo edit to split but you have to rip with dvd dycrepter and then split with ifoedit
    all you have to do is us the strip guid but when you go to strip in ifo check split into two dvdr instead and click strip ok