1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few ipod questions

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by mikeismad, Apr 17, 2007.

1. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

Ok i have been around AD for a while but mostly on the XBOX side of stuff, i recently just bought a USED ipod 20 GB MP3 Player.

I was told i would need to restore it but when i try to restore it Itunes either doesnt see it, or sees it and trys to start restoring but then freezes up.

The Ipod will sometimes go to the main menu where i can select music and extras etc... but that is very seldom.

it shows up in my device manager as a hard disk and will go into disk mode if i need it to so i was told that it wasnt a hard drive problem.

I am just wondering what i can do to fix it because i really need a good mp3 player but i dont want to go out and buy a new one and have wasted all the money on this one.

2. Kulith

Kulith Guest

Step by step, what does iTunes do when you plug your ipod into your computer? Can you select the ipod from the column on the left, and see the music thats on it?

You can sometimes go into the main menu of the ipod, what happens the other times? It wont turn on? It gives you an error or ...?

What generation iPod is it, and are you using iTunes 7?

All right, if you can see it in the device manager I suggest you right click it and click on "format" and do a quick format of the iPod's hard drive, then lets see what happens when you plug it in.

3. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

alright when i plug it in most of the time it crashes itunes, i cant see it on the left column

when it doesnt turn on i either get the Sad ipod face or the folder with the exclamation mark.

its a 4th gen i think im not really sure i bought it used and i dont know too much about ipods right now its the click wheel thats about all i know and i was using itunes 7 but i went back to an older version and now im about to go back to a new version.

and i see it in device manager as a disk drive named "Apple IPod USB Device" but i dont see anywhere to format it. i right click and only see update driver uninstall etc..

4. Kulith

Kulith Guest

your ipod is fucked. Read this for more info http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61771

Im sorry, I thought when you said "device manager" you meant it was showing up as a hard drive under start => my computer. Does it show up under My Computer? Thats where you right click it and click format.

5. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

it sometimes will show up under my computer but only when its in disk mode, god i hope its really not too messed up, i douby i can get my money back for it, but it was trying to update a bit earlier with the update tool but now it just says ipod service error.

6. Kulith

Kulith Guest

I would get the latest iTunes, it has the updater inside it so dont worry about using that updater.

Unless ofc itunes wont recognize your ipod but the updater might, dunno about that. :S

If your computer recognizes it when its in disk mode, then thats a good sign. what I would do: right click it and format it, its the best option you have without spending any money.

Edit: itunes does not recognize it when its in disk mode?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2007
  7. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

The sad face and the folder with the exclamation points normally mean that there's a hard drive problem. I would take it to your nearest Apple store and see if they can fix it for you because it may be a hardware issue.

8. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

ok well on my girlfriends computer it works just fine, itunes sees it and everything but i even went as far as to format my computers hard drive and do a clean windows install last night but had no luck, ill try formatting it in disk mode if i can.

9. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Hmmm yea that is weird. If that doesn't work then try restoring on your girlfriend's computer then see if your computer recognizes it.

10. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

yeah, ill try that but now i cant seem to get it to go into disk mode :( im thinking i should just get my money back and buy a new one.

11. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Yea if it's still under warranty the store you bought it from will switch it out for a brand new one.

12. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

just a quick update, did anyone know that throwing your ipod can fix the problems?? lol i threw it in the floor pretty hard and it came on and it is working now, im formatting it right now and im going to run restore on it in a little while, i hope this works guys!!!

13. Kulith

Kulith Guest

yea, iPods have a tendency of breaking for no reason, but throwing them on the floor to fix them, thats a new one^^ :)

14. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

lol it works now, i didnt have to do anything else to it just throw it and i synced over some songs and its working just fine right now, i want to restore it though but every time i try to it says it couldnt continue and gives me an error like 4186 or something. anyone know what could cause that?

also, what all can be done as far as modding a 4G ipod?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  15. Kulith

Kulith Guest

Post the exact errror here, or type it in at google and it will tell you what it means.

You can always put rockbox on it, pick your ipod here and follow the guide: http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml