1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few issues with shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by svt54, Sep 17, 2004.

1. svt54

svt54 Guest

I have a few problems with shrink. First and foremost, Shrink refuses to read from the disk for me, even though, I have read that it is capable of ripping/decrypting. I have tried on over a dozen different dvds, some new some 7 or 8 years old, and it just won't do it. When I try I get an error saying it is copyright protected. I have to use Decrypter, to rip to HDD, then use shrink on the file, then burn with decrypter. I downloaded the latest version of shrink to no avail. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Second problem... It takes forever for me to decrypt/compress and get ready to burn. On average, it takes 30-40 mins for Decrypter to do its thing, then another 25-35 for deep analysis in Shrink, Then another 30-45 for compression. Burn times are great at 4x taking 14-17 mins. When decrypter is ripping it usually shows a rate of 2-2.1x.

I don't know if it is related because I didn't have shrink last time I did it, but with Xcopy, when I had formatted my HDD, installed windows, drivers, and Xcopy, I could rip/compress in about 15-25 mins. Then after I had put my other programs back on, my next burn and all after that were in the 45-65 minute range, usually on the high side of that. Even on movies I had done before. What could be causing this? My PC is a AMD Athlon 1800XP, w/ 512mb of 266 ram, 80gb ATA133 HDD.

Any help appreciated. If I need to format again I will, but I would rather not.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You need to check you DMA settings and your aspi layer.
    To check your DMA settings go to my computer and right click on it. Then choose device manager and you will see a list. Go to the one that says IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and click on the + sign. You'll see a primary and secondary channel, right click on the secondary channel. Now at the top choose advanced settings. Under transfer mode if it shows P10 then use the pull down menu and change it to DMA.

Now for your aspi layer just follow the link and then follow the instructions.

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."[/small]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

4. svt54

svt54 Guest

Ok, I did the things you all listed. Turns out I didn't have an ASPI layer. And anyDVD made shrink work correctly, so I dont need to use Decrypter.

I ran Shrink on Jersey Girl and the deep analysis seems to be running slow to me. It is holding a rate right around 2650 KB/s. Does this seem low? I made sure that low priority wasn't checked. I believe my DVD-ROM is either 8x or 12x, so it should read alot faster I would think. Any ideas?

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Good show, happy burning ... AnyDVD is handy to have .. smiles !

No the speed is normal.. when you encoding !!That is not burning that is preparing before the burn ...... and that process is slow dependant on the type of processor and availability of Ram one may have.. but that's an average you are getting.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2004
  6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Interesting! Glad to hear you resolved your problem. The speed you're currently getting is a consequence of your getting a better quality picture. You could speed it up by using lower quality settings but I wouldn't recommend it. Deep analysis allows shrink to better distribute the bitrates in different scenes. It uses a lower bitrate in slower scenes with less action so that it can use a higher bitrate in the fast moving actions scenes but it takes longer to accompolish this.

7. svt54

svt54 Guest

OK, quick question. You said speed is dependant on processor and available ram. I am running a AMD Athlon 1800+ XP, which shows as running at 1539mhz, and I have 512mb of ram. Would the processor be the logical first upgrade for faster reading/compressing?

8. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Yes -- but at what price to save a few minutes !! Dont forget that Uplevelling a processor in most case requires that you do the same for the motherboard and it can be costly. Speed is not always best when working with DVD's --- !

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

svt54

Yes a CPU upgrade could help considerably depending on whether you are using a Palomino or a T-bred and if your motherboard supports it, then it could also be a very inexpensive upgrade. There's a chance you could go for an XP2500 Plus for abount $85 so post your motherboard make and model number and we'll see.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."[/small]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  10. svt54

svt54 Guest

I am pretty sure my motherboard is ahead of my processor.
    My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VAX. I am also considering overclocking a bit, but I would hate to get unstable and lock up in the middle of a burn.

11. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Heyyyyy!! the Blue Board ~~ smiles !

Good board for you to upgrade !! You can change that CPU to a AMD XP2800+ and keep your present Ram. DDR400 and 8x AGP would not be good reasons to upgrade as the Athlon is unable to take advantage of any "HighSpeed" Memory (DDR400 or DDR433) unless insanely overclocked.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2004
  12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

svt54

Overclocking a Barton core is a no brainer, my wife's PC has an XP2500 overclocked to an XP3200 with the stock heatsink/fan. I would stil recommend that you go for the XP2500 because it has exactly the same core a the XP2800 and 3200. It's about $30 less than the XP2800 and it can be an XP2800 plus with an adustment that takes only about 5 minutes including boot times.

Jean

The extra RAM speed provides head room for overclocking. If he has PC2700 then it's unlikely that he can overclock it to a XP3200 plus but with PC3200 or PC4000 it would be a cinch. If he has PC 2700 then XP2800 is as high as he will be able to go.

13. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Agree on all you said , Sophocles -- that is what i met ;the DDRam 400 is only needed if this PC is overclocked to its limits.. as the Athlon performance becomes highly unstable when stretched to its limits.

14. svt54

svt54 Guest

I had to check, my ram is DDR333. By the way I allready have an 8x Invidia AGP card, whether it uses it or not, LOL.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

svt54

No big deal, it'll work just fine anyway. I have an 8X Pro card in 4X slot and my 3DMark scores are as good as any I've seen for my card. Have you determined which Processor you have? The Palomino or the Thoroughbred?

16. svt54

svt54 Guest

How do I figure out which I have? What am I looking for and where? Do I need to pull the fan/sink?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

18. Richard11

Richard11 Guest

Just the short note to let you know that the slower you burn your DVDs the better the quality

19. svt54

svt54 Guest

Yeah, I burn at 4x and don't want to increase that. I am looking to drop decrypt/encode times.

20. Richard11

Richard11 Guest

I burn at 1x

never bother using the deep analysis (DVB's still perfectly fine)