1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few newb questions about Linux.

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by chain87, Mar 7, 2008.

1. chain87

chain87 Member

I just can't figure out java on opera. Should I download Java from the site and then locate the files I nees on Opera or is there a way to get Java for Opera only?

2. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

I am also re-thinking about buying an extra HD. I think partitioning vista might work, but it sounds complicated and also not sure if it will work to well with vista.. Any comments on this will help, thanks.

3. chain87

chain87 Member

oh and pwhite23 if I were you I would post a new tread. You'll get better attention that way since you're on a different subject. I wish I could help you but I don't know anything about Vista or makeing partitions.

4. arcder23

arcder23 Member

well, a good beginners Linux is kubuntu, for the more advanced id tell you to get suse

5. varnull

varnull Guest

6. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

OK THANKS varnull but do i have to partition my hd for it, i assume not since im just trying it. And i have one more question: is partioning my HD a save move or is buying a new HD, if i dont want my M$ programs and files deleted.

7. varnull

varnull Guest

It's up to you. I use one OS per drive because I do a lot of testing and it's nice to be able to swap one for another and reboot.

Just running live you don't need to install anything, though I'm always tempted to partition that little bit of free space XP always leaves to FAT32 just as a dump spavce for any files etc you might want to save.

Sabayon is just too cool, honestly.. I have used it run live to burn a different linux distro to disk from an XP machine.

8. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

9. varnull

varnull Guest

Look for the live one, that way you don't need to worry about installing, and it will run great on your 64bit hardware. better to have a small idea about how things work and what drivers you may be lacking before installing.

There are lots and lots of different live cd linux flavours.. http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php .. you can try a few and see what you like.. Most will fit on a r/w cd so you don't even need to worry about wasting disks ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2008
  10. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

okay thanks i think i am going to start off with ubuntu just to try it out, but i may need some help, currently i am downloading the 700mb file to my Desktop from which i will then transfer onto a dvd disc using some program. But what do i do from there, i assume restart my computer and tell to boot from cd but a) how do i go to that option from the boot screen and b) i have a program called powerISO should I open the files up or just leave them on the dvd?

11. varnull

varnull Guest

use a cd.. it's a cd iso. Burn it, don't mess with it ;)

How to boot depends on which disk you have.. if the live disk your method of just booting from cd will work fine, but you might just have to use some cheat codes to get a boot. There should be some options on the bottom of the screen when it loads.

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Linux sure has been looking more intersting especially after vista's drm crap, I know linux is not easy but what a nice thread to learn from, hope this thread lasts a long time.

13. chain87

chain87 Member

Hey I've got another question. Is the Xfce desktop any good? I've been wondering about those lightweight distros a lot since the web browers are slow on my PC.

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

why not just try it out ?

15. chain87

chain87 Member

I think I will.

16. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

okay this is starting to tick me off... I downloaded Ubuntu from the website Varnull posted a few posts up and it told me it was 700mb..fine. I left my computer on through the night so it will completly download. When I woke up, my computer was turned off so I turned it on and couldn't seem to find Ubuntu any where. I told it to download to the desktop and wasn't there. And before you say anything nobody messed with my computer. So then 2-3 days later I found my computer turned off once again and turned it on, (I have never seen this window on my laptop before) and once I tunred it on it went to a black screen simialir to the one that will let you pick boot normally, safe mode or safe mode with cmd. But instead it said something like "Pick an Operating System to boot from" and the only choice was Vista. Nothing is wrong with my computer, but it's strange that there is nothing of Ubuntu on my computer even though I downloaded it...the search tool doesn't work that well but i was wondering if there is anyway i could check to see if I have Ubuntu?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  17. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

It sounds to me like you have an impending hardware failure of some sort. PC turning itself off is not a good sign. Either that or you have power saving modes turned on which is turning the lappy off when you leave it running. This would mean that your download did not complete properly and so you may not be able to find it. I would recommend that you download to a folder instead of the Desktop (if you are running firefox change this in your >Edit>preferences). Try this and get back to us to see if your problem is solved.

Chain Hey I've got another question. Is the Xfce desktop any good? I've been wondering about those lightweight distros a lot since the web browers are slow on my PC.

As Creaky said, just try the desktop manager that are available and see what you like. I have used xfce and gnome and kde and fvwm and otehrs and chop and change from time to time. This is the beauty of *nix, YOU decide, not some arsehole in Redmond (who doesn't have a clue)

18. varnull

varnull Guest

I just finished testing gOS 2beta (rocket)

It's pretty nice and lightweight, but for a desktop machine it isn't suitable for new users as it is lacking quite a few core parts..

For what it is made for it is excellent, although as somebody who never goes near youtube facebook or myspace it's pre-installed appliations and links are pretty pointless.

Also missing are any cd-rom drivers i the kernel. It works well with external drives connected by usb, and also had all the needed drivers for the old and odd hardware fitted to my testbed.

I'm quite impressed really. it certainly sup[ports more hardware than I thought it would, just a shame the only way to get it is through the torrents as the mirrors are all down...

I may upload it to zshare as a direct download.. I know they can't argue with that.

19. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

hey who added that picture to my post :)

and i think the problem is the tempature my CPU is running at. So that kinda sucks

EDIT: Alright I downloaded Ubuntu once again to desktop, everything went fine and burned it onto a CD-R disk. I put the disk into laptop, and rebooted my computer but it still just said boot from OS and vista was the only choice.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  20. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

sorry 4 double posting but since the CD wouldn't boot, i opened up the iso on the cd with powerISO, and I cliked on wubi-cdboot.exe and it gave me an error message of "could not find an appropriate cd". So i am lost of what to do