1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions about flashing my 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Rdysn5, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Rdysn5

Rdysn5 Member

I'm looking into doing the firmware modification, it all looks somewhat complicated so I wanted to ask here.

1) I read that a PCI SATA card is needed for flashing the 360's drive. I think I already have one in my PC. Is there any way to know if it will work for flashing the drive? I believe I have a Samsung drive after looking at the illustrations.

2) If you get a 3RLOD at some point down the line after modding would you be SOL? I understand that opening up the 360 invalidates your warranty. It seems like a big risk, to do the firmware upgrade, and then having to buy a new console because MS wouldn't repair it. What is the opinion of people who have done the firmware upgrade?

3) I think my burner is not dual layer so I would need a new one. Is this a good one?

4) In !Textbook's Xbox 360 firmware tutorial!, it says you need to configure your computer to boot from USB. Would any usb flash drive work for doing this?

5) What are the chances of MS banning people from Live again for having flashed their console?

Any info is appreciated, thanks.

2. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

1. yes it all depends on the SATA chipset you have on your computer, the easiest way to find out is to download extreme boot maker and if it will detect the I/O number for SATA chipset then your good to go, if not you will need to purchase a VIA 6421 L or A pci sata card,it doesn't matter they both work. then you will need to follow the tutorial for flashing the MS25 or MS28, or you can just follow a bad flash recovery method(aka. 10 sec. mthod,i find the easiest).

2. i honestly don't think you should have that problem, i find those problems happen to mostly the older hitachi models, i may be wrong but either way, there will always be a risk, if you want to play backups, then its the risk your going to have to take. or i seen warranty stickers on ebay also, so that is another option.

3. that is a good burner but i think any dual layer burner should work, i have a great success rate with LG also a good burner.

4. yes any usb flash drive should work as long as your board lets you boot up from it. if not then you could use a floppy. i know people say not use them but just make sure it is new and you should be good, just copy to the comp when finished, i personally like to send it to my email, it is always there.

5. playin on live with backups is safe for the time being and for a while i hope, but it is again never going to be guaranteed just like opening your system and voiding the warranty, risks your going to have take to have the privelage of 360 GREATNESS!!