1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions about video and DVDs

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by AndreL, Aug 9, 2013.

1. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

Why do so many people put different file ext. (containers) of video to share online.
    Is it they stick with one format and go with it or is it different formats are good for different types of video. Cause I've been on the video sharing forums for awhile now and I'm still learning the ropes. And I thing H264x used with mp4 ext. is the best

Which brings me to my second question ... encoding video via CRF or Constant Quality looking for some good software that doesn't have to be free it could be something like TMPGEnc or something you pay for.

3rd Question a fast DVD ripper that uses cuda to help speed the process again doesn't have to be free.

Lastly encoding with 64 vs 32 and if 64bit is faster please show me some software that encodes at a 64bit rate.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

1-x264 or not to x264 = personal preference,if it's not used it may be down to hardware player compatability

2-vidcoder or handbrake, my choice is vidcoder it has 32bit & 64bit editions,main reason i like vc is i can set target size in gb

3-Ripping Speed = nothing to do with cuda as far as i know cuda is for encoding & decoding,your speed of rip is determined by dvd drive & dvd disc,rip too fast you may end up with a glitched movie

4-as above at No2 as for speed of encode that comes down to cpu & how many cores vs how many passes & what encoder you use i.e ffmpg2,x264 etc,etc

all of what you want to do software wise is free including rippers like dvdfab hd,personally i prefer slysofts anydvd & clonedvd however i also bought dvdfab

yeah i think that pretty much covers it for sd dvd's as for blue-ray can't say however rip speed limitation will still apply

edit:forgot to mention encode speed also comes down to container size the smaller the longer it takes

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013