1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a few questions before i swap to a mac

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by stephen02, Nov 24, 2007.

1. stephen02

stephen02 Guest

hi there, im quite new to the internt and computers, and my windows pc keeps dying and i like the mac, my friend told me this forum should be able to answer all my questions as he has been helped before. So ill just write them all and if you could help me i would greatly appreciate it.

1. Is there software to convert my videos for ps3,i think it uses mp4 files.
    2. What software is avalible for burning data disks
    3. What software is avalible for encoding and burning dvd's
    4. Is there any software for decrypring dvds
    5. Are there any bit torrent packages avalible.
    6. How would i unzip or unrar files.
    7. How would i burn iso's
    8. Will i have to worry about virus's and spyware?
    10. what video editing software is there?
    11. Will avi files and divx work
    12. And last buy not least, what are the advantages of having a mac?

Thank you for your time, and im sorry for all the spelling mistakes.

2. david456

david456 Regular member

Hello, stephen02:

1. HandBrake, VisualHub
    2. Mac OS X's burn folders, Toast, DragonBurn
    3. DVD2oneX2, Toast
    4. MacTheRipper
    5. Azureus, Transmission
    6. built-in Mac OS X utility, Stuffit Expander, UnRarX
    7. Mac OS X's Disk Utility
    8. No
    9. -
    10. iMovie, Final Cut
    11. Yes (QuickTime, VLC)
    12. Answers will vary.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  3. stephen02

stephen02 Guest

thanks for your help, really concidering changing

4. stephen02

stephen02 Guest

em sorry about the missing number, i tryed it but hadent noticed i wasnt on the page, hadnt clikced the mouse, anyway i missed 1 question

9. I saw software for the mac called crossover, its mainly used to get games from windows workin on the mac, but will this make all windows software work on the mac ????

5. klebaron

klebaron Member

I know with Boot Camp you can supposedly run Vista and XP on a Mac, but I don't know how well the system works. That would be the most obvious way to take advantage of PC software, although I think it requires restarting the comp each time you want to run XP (not sure)

6. david456

david456 Regular member

Hello, stephen02:

"All" is a strong word. I doubt that CrossOver will give you 100% compatibility with all Windows applications. If you're seeking 100% compatibility, then you're going to have to run Windows natively with Mac OS 10.5 Leopard's Boot Camp.

Remember that there also are Windows virtualization software, such as Parallels and Fusion, that will give you close to 100% compatibility.

7. cheezoli

cheezoli Member

8. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

I'd just like to add that MacOSX is a real operating system, so it won't crash, and it will maintain itself. Because it's based upon various Unixes, it will run Unix software on the command line, on the X11 graphical interface, and even on Mac's Aqua graphical interface.

You can usually find free, Unix programs modified for Mac's Aqua interface that do all you requested on such archives as

http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

Checkout 'burn', 'mactheripper', 'DVD imager', &c, there. Unix programs like these will work because you're not writing files that must be in the fancy Mac (HFS+) format. When using the Mac, think 'freeware' or 'shareware' (at most); I know this is quite a change for a Windows user.

For security, it's (1) advisable to run your Mac from an account other than the first (administrator's) account - though I don't; (2) install patches from Apple, which they automatically send you, and (3) update non-Apple software that accesses the internet: you can use VersionTracker or other archives to do this. I like to create a folder for file downloads and one for mail attachments. Then I installed the free, Unix ClamXav, and told it to always check new files in these folders for 'spyware'. Others think I'm silly.

The 'scheduler' is so professional that these things won't slow your computer. However, when burning DVDs, I turn off all applications, the energy saver, & the screen saver and use an ice pack under my laptop G4 Mac. Using Verbatim media, I then burn at maximal speeds without problems.

MacOSX has an OOUI (object-oriented user interface): you concern yourself with files, like documents, and don't worry much about the brand of application that changes them. If you work the other way, you will find that many commercial applications will run only on Windows machines. I've only found this a problem when watching movies over the internet; and this is a legal problem, not a technical one. Think free. For help:

http://www.apple.com/support/
    http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

There are many non-censored discussion groups for Macs as well.