1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions regarding Wii Chipping.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by dazila, Feb 24, 2008.

1. dazila

dazila Regular member

Ive been considering getting a Wii Chip.
    Our Wii (Me and my brother got it for Christmas) Is from the end of 2006 it was bought in Australia (PAL) around mid Decmember 2006 ive done the online check thing and according to my serial it is a DMS model.
    I have no clue what chip besides the Wii Key is compatible, but I dont want to buy the wii key because it has been abandoned and its very unlikely we will see any new firmwares.
    So which other chip on this site is compatible with mine this is the only place that isnt extremly far from me and they can chip it for me.
    http://quantronics.com.au/products/nintendo-wii/modchips

2. LilNguyen

LilNguyen Member

What are you talking about? Many users have the Wiikey and it is not abandoned. Their site is just down. Wiinewz is the offical site for updates now.

3. dazila

dazila Regular member

Can you point me to a direct link then because I dont see anything on this WiiNewz site to do with the Wii Key.

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

So no one wants to answer this question :S?
    Im starting to think this is True.

5. makajoze

makajoze Member

http://psx-scene.com/forums/nintendo-wii-forums/

This is the forum of Wiinewz, but whether or not Wiikey is dead or not, not too sure myself. I bought a Wiikey and it is running fine and there have been updates on certain recent firmware releases, so I still have some faith that it still lives due to the fast there are a lot of people that still use it.

But whose to say the others won't quit as well? Cannot really guarntee that any chip will be kept alive forever. So its a 50/50.

6. dazila

dazila Regular member

The problem is IM worried that the Wii Key will not get updated and certian games wont be able to be played including maybe some future Originals thats what worries me, other then that I dont really care if its supported or not but this is the main thing like a Ps2 modchip (I dont have one had one for 1month) I wouldnt have really cared if there was support because there was no need for updatesd because Ps2's firmware could not be updated (Maybe in a special way LOL!) But is it true that some games cant be played even the originals if you have a modchip on the wii until a new firmware for the chip comes out?

7. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

dazila, its me kafluke from the PSP scene. You should trust me cause you know I've been at this for a while.

Trust me on this, wiikey is still a good choice. I've been using them since they first released and have been way happy with it. I've done a ton of modding on the wii also and I've never had one fail or had any troubles installing them.

8. dazila

dazila Regular member

well my problem is the difficulty of doing these backups like when I was doing the Ps2 backups it was really simple Burn it play it with Swap Magic no worrying about bricking the system,
    I understand its this simple as well when just using PAL backups on a PAL system there is no worries of bricking it.
    But Backing up games like NTSC/U is where im stuck.
    Im planing to backup a copy of SSBB when the US release comes along, (This is the main reason for thinking about a chip) but I really dont want to go through those things like letting the wii update to 15% and turn it off with my luck it would go wrong and my wii would get bricked this wii was bought by my mum for me and my brother for christmas so im a bit more worried , yes I work now Causal after school but i dont want to waste 400au on a wii which I already had.
    I just need this explained mainly for SSBB or SSBB the US realse will it be easier?
    I also want to know for eg If it get firmware 3.2E and a Brick block a game with say Firmware 2.2U so the update would not run would I be able to run the game?
    Thanks!
    I just needed to know to make up my mind chip wii or a new graphics card HD3870.
    Thats why I need to know the basic wii out of region bacjup things.

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

No one can really give you an answer on how the SSBB for USA would effect a PAL Wii till it comes out and users test it. There could be a high probability if you have your Wii updated to 3.2E that the update will not effect your PAL system at all. But since it hasn't been released yet all we can do is speculate.

I would suspect the USA version would have the same effect as the Japanese version did. Extra news/weather channels. This doesn't effect the Wii performance in any way. just move the duplicated channels to another Wii channel page out of site. But as I said above this might not even be an issue if you have the PAL Wii updated to the 3.2 update.

I would recomend a Wiikey or Cyclowiz.

10. dazila

dazila Regular member

Yes, but what happends if I brick block all games with lower firmwares then mine would they work?

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Just depends on the update and Wii disc. Some work perfectly fine with Wii Brick Blocker but some do not.

Again this will be determined when the game disc is released and users can do some testing.

In the mean time you can go HERE and look at the region compatibility list.

The below info may be posted for each Import game title when using this guide...

If the Import is compatible with your PAL system.

If the Import has an update.

If a Brick/Semi brick issue can occur and gives the criteria that needs to be meet to protect from a Brick/Semi-Brick.

It may inform you if extra news/weather channels will be duplicated in the channel menu.

If Wii brick Blocker is compatible with it.