1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few quick questions regarding Ritek.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Riven, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Riven

Riven Member

I have been away from this (and all other) forums for quite some time as I have been too busy to find the time (and am a little still, so excuse me if this seems a little like a fly-by posting. It is).

I was thinking about getting some of the RitekGo5’s and decided to see what you guys said about its performance as your recommendation of GO4’s solved my previous problems.

I notice that there have been a lot of posts about the deterioration of the Go4 performance. Is this limited only to certain suppliers or more generalised? Also does it also extend to the Go5 Dies or can I expect the reliable performance I had come to expect previously.

I was also going to ask about the performance of NEC’s 3500 drive as I was impressed with the performance of my NEC2500a and only want to upgrade for the ability to burn Dual layer Disks.

2. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

If D/L burning is all that you want, there are numerous firmware hacks around to upgrade your 2500 to a 2510(ish) that will burn D/L.
    Of course, the 3500 is a lot faster and is now selling for less than I payed for my 2510, damn!

3. Riven

Riven Member

Heh. Its selling for less than I originally paid for my 2500. I think I paid about £65 for that at the time, I have seen the 3500 on sale for £44.

I don’t mind buying a new drive though I may well use your suggestion on the 2500 after I install it on my wife’s PC, so if you have any pointers on where I can obtain one of these hacks I would be grateful.

What do you know about the performance of the 3500. Would it be worth upgrading anyway or would I just be better off with the hack?

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

DL media still costs a small fortune atm tho - d'oh !

And Higgsbsun is quite right , you can firmware hack/flash your drive to be dl compatible , maybe have a look see here: http://forum.rpc1.com/

I have been buying Ritek G04 (well they're advertised as G04s , but are actually G05 when viewed in DVD Decrypter ISO Write mode)
    I have found that the G05 media that Ive bought have been very impressive & are selling for not a lot more than G04 media [if any more cost at all]
    Of course it does I suppose still depend on who's produced the media , for example I wouldnt purchase anything DataWrite w/ Ritek dye.

I also purchase Taiyo Yuden , costs a bit more ... but what a great disc :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  5. Riven

Riven Member

I rarely ever buy anything but Ritek branded disks. (for DVD’s anyway – for CD’s brand doesn’t seem to make much difference) To date I have never had much of a reason too. Probably had a failure rate of about 1%, if that, much better than the datawrite I bought for my first set. Out of 23 I got 3 successes.

So you guys recon I'd be just as well off hacking the 2500 then?

6. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

The 3500a can burn at 16x where you would limited to 8x with the hacked 2500, bear in mind though that writing a disk at 16x (if you can find the media), does not take half the time it would 8x. Having said that, the 3500a is an excellent burner, but then, so is the 2510.
    Unless you have a specific need for D/L, they're still too pricey for routine use, also they're very new so things like practical longevity are unknown.
    As for Ritek media generally, yes they can be really good, but for batch to batch excellence you can rely on absolutely, Taiyo Yuden is the way.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I just had to say Dito to higgsbsun on the TaiyoYuden disc they are the best I have used. I was a Ritek fan until I received some of these disc's. The quality is just plain better of course they do caost a little more maybe a penny or two per disc, but it is well worth it..
    As far as the Hack Firmware for the 2500A is it possible this could ruin my drive? I have been wanting to load this firmware but I am a little scared... :)

8. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

I think most bods use Herrie's 1.07 v2 Beta 4 or 5 firmware, the "5" has D/L support. Mostly people are looking for increased media coverage, rpc or riplock improvements, not actually the D/L option.

I've read accounts of people flashing their drives more than twenty times with no probs, I had an old NEC 1100a that changed it's identity so often I actually forgot what it had started out as.

9. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

My old Pioneer must have been flashed w/ hacked f/w at least 7-8 times ... no probs at any time :)

Will be buying a Pioneer 108 just after Xmas , but only for faster burning capabilities & not for DL compatibility...

peace