1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few splax questions

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Kulith, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Kulith

Kulith Guest

A few questions here about linux - splax

I am using splax on a boot cd right now becaues my hard drive is dead. Can I download things with splax?? Can I watch movies with splax?? What can I do and what cant I do on splax that is only on a boot cd, not installed on the hard drive??

I noticed that my password doesnt save on the computer, is this the same with everything?? is it simply running off ram or what?? Everything I do gets temporarily saved on the ram?

Edit: and what about malware or virus stuff, can i download one of those? My hard drive is dead so wheres this go, hangs around in the ram?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2007
  2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

As long as you don't have a hard disk, you basically can't do anything.
    Downloads won't save, programs can't be stored, etc etc.
    Other than advise you to get your pc checked out by a pro to see if they can fix the problem, or to get another hard disk, there's not much we can do for you.

3. Kulith

Kulith Guest

Right now im just asking for info, not help on how to get my hard drive working again, ive given up.

What would happen if I kept splax running 24/7 (never turned off my computer) everything Ive done would stay saved right?

If I download something right now that I know for a fact is a virus, what will it do, nothing at all...? Is my computer 100% safe right now then?

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I seem to be repeating myself alot today but...
    YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD ANYTHING.
    There no place to save it, because your hard disk isn't working.
    Your settings will stay the same as long as you keep the system running, but EVERY system needs to be turned off every now and again.

And no, you wouldn't be safe from all mallware, because there are a few types of it that are written for *nix.
    Think rootkits and backdoors/worms.
    And there's always the scriptkiddies trying to infect their next target.
    In the end, you need a harddrive to keep using your system, and that's all there is to it.
    Wether you install windows or some kind of linux/unix on it is up to you, but understand that without a hard disk, you can't watch movies, can't play much music, and any other options are SEVERELY LIMITED.

Again, my advice is to take that system to a pro and have it checked out, maybe they can either save your data with an external drive, or if you're lucky, they can save/revive your hard disk.

5. Kulith

Kulith Guest

okay okay i get it, i need a hard drive

I had already contacted newegg.com customer support about its warranty to get a new one, I just wanted info about slax since im fairly new at it. I wasnt actually planning on not ever using a hd again -.-

Thx for your help then

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Well, once you have that HD, i'll be more than happy to help you out on Linux, but not before, because without it, your options are limited to browsing the web, chatting, listening to music off cd's or external drives/players, and watching movies off dvd's or cd's.

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

There is of course one option.. a pendrive. Not surprisingly they are far more expensive than a new HDD gig for gig, but useful in a pinch.
    Have a look at this.. It may just set you off on a project of your own..
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/mini.html
    How cool is that?

And a few alternatives.. Puppylinux will run from cd, if you don't finalise it and run it from a burner then you can save files to the cd.(I use a puppy 2.12 cd as the first step in recovering corrupted XP laptop drives)
    This doesn't give you much space, but as puppy running purely in ram has something like an 80MB footprint you can very likely remove the boot disk (after loading any programs) and then download straight onto another disk.

I can supply small numbers of unfinalised puppylinux 2.12 cd's at cost. (as permitted under the GPL..sorry Europe only)) You can also get them direct from source. http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  8. Kulith

Kulith Guest

One last question. I got my hands on an old 3gig seagate (yea i know, rofl). Will the things I download save now? Specifically what I want to do is watch videos online, youtube.com google.video etc... Now if I download flashplayer I can watch videos and it saves on this hd? Or maybe it wont cause its still only a boot cd.

If that is true, this is what I need to do to install flashplayer:

I dont know how to navigate in Konsole, ive tried several different things. And fore some reason I can watch trailers on the sidebars of youtube.com, but not the youtube videos.

I appreciate your help.

Edit: wait a minute. I can only connect to the internet like 1 out of every 10 times I boot up with slax. I thought i fixed this problem when I dragged the wireless adapter driver onto the hard drive, but it doesnt look like it. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007