1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a first timer trying to burn avi/mpeg to dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 2new4u, Apr 28, 2005.

1. 2new4u

2new4u Member

I am a true newbie. I'm sure the info I need is out here, I just don't know where. I downloaded movies that are .avi/.mpeg. I just want to put them on a dvd to play on my tv instead of watching on my puter. I just got my samsung dvd burner, and have many of the programs listed on this site, but don't know where to start. I have never burned a dvd before. I am computer literate but dvd burning dumb...lol Can someone point me in the right direction? This all seems complicated. Easiest is best for me! I also don't know if I need dvd- or + for best results, my burner does all media, even dual layer...which I think I need to learn the basics first. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

Click on the link on my sig. It should take you to bbmayo's site. Click the avi to dvd link and follow the instructions.

3. 2new4u

2new4u Member

Oh, I forgot. I can't use dvd santa...unless there is a version that is not xp. I have xp on my laptop but no burner there! My home computer, my os is me. I have sony media.

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

Divxtodvd is a good first time app to use and its free! but dont let free put you off its very good and simple! you can load multiple avi or mpeg to it and it will output vob/ifo/bup for burning

use say nero app and click ADD-Video tab and place all files in the folder nero makes called VIDEO_TS and burn...

done

most i would guess use dvd-r for best comaptibility... and buy decent discs!!!! like tiyo yuden (not sure on spelling?) and ritek or verbitim (sorry my spelling sucks...)

5. 2new4u

2new4u Member

Thanks for your help, I just have one question, When I run it through shrink, it output 3 iso files. Is this right? And, you guys know your stuff, so we are forgiving about spelling! Thanks for the help with the medium too. There is so much to choose from, it's nice to know about the kinds that are proven to be good. As soon as I get my first movie done, I'll let you know how it turned out!

6. 2new4u

2new4u Member

I am a little confused. I have 3 iso files and an mds- which i made in divxtodvd. do I burn just the mds, or all 3 files? See, I told ya I was a newbie. This has been an easy process so far, just unsure.

7. 2new4u

2new4u Member

Thanks guys, I didn't make a coaster! I guess I did the right file, I just watched my movie... it was so funny! I would like to know, though, Is there a better format to make my movies better quality? Of course I can't be too sure about how good of quality my downloaded movies are to begin with. Is there an option to make it 5.1 audio? I used the guide on bbmayos site, and used divx to dvd, dvd shrink (which this movie didn't require shrinkage) and dvd decrypter. Nice programs, especially for free! I'm in dvd burning heaven! Finally can watch all the movies taking up hd space! Thanks so much!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

not sure why you got 3 iso's? you may need to elaborate on that more!!!

but if you say you got your movie then great?

but if you are doing separate avi encoding when you have say 3 avi that is really 1 film then load all 3 at same time to divstodvd it will jion the 3 on conversion and you only need to burn one folder

are you saying dvd shrink made an MDS file?

also here is another app AVI2DVD for avi/ogm/mkv to dvd and also deos dvd to dvd compressing (main movie only!), it will output vob/ifo/bup (nero) and/or iso to burn with say dvd decrypter (iso), both these apps are free to...it also outputs 5.1 ac3 or 2 channel ac3 if you turn down audio bitrate to 192 i think...

it has 4 built in encoders and if you own CCE (the best - debatable?) you have 5 to use from - most say use HCEnc is the best all rounder...

it will load multiple avi but must keep links short on insertion and output links and rename avi like this below

input links...

just load first line of set to load all 4

C:\avifolder\matrix CD1.avi
    C:\avifolder\matrix CD2.avi
    C:\avifolder\matrix CD3.avi
    C:\avifolder\matrix CD4.avi

[NOTICE SPELLING and gap between matrix and CD1 !]

output link...

C:\dvd\matrix.iso

and not like this...

C:\_^%$&&*$!|||||||------\boby!!!!!!\>>>>>>\""Vb2222AVI\matrixCD!.avi

[bold]and in useing tis app take note its like 3/4 hours to do the lot![/bold] but in useing these encoders it should yeild better quilty? but all depends on what the files are like first!!! play the avi or mpeg in powerDVD or windows media player first!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  9. 2new4u

2new4u Member

Thanks rotary. This movie was all just a main title. The files I have are,"Movie Title.I00", "Movie title.I01", "Movie title.I02". Plus the .mds file, so I goofed, I actually ended up with 4 files total for the whole process. I guess when I saved to file on my hd, I just saved it in the default folder chosen by the programs. Yes, I wanted to burn so bad, I took it upon myself to try just the mds file. I checked the properties for all the files, and they all had the same time that I finished the whole project up to the burn stage. I did watch the movie, but the quality was a bit splotchy and sometimes had a glow (light, dim, light dim) It wasn't too annoying to me, but occasionally had some audio issues (especially at the really funny times). But I am proud that I got to see it and didn't make a coaster the first time... lol I wonder if I burned it too fast? My media goes up to 8x and I burned at 4x. Any suggestions on write speed? That was the only thing I didn't see in the tutorial. I know it makes a difference in ps2 games, and the like. So what I get from what you said, I should have saved all files in the same file folder, and put them on the dvd? I want to be sure, because I plan on burning another movie today, so I have something for dinner guests to watch after dinner tonight! The movie I burned was actually a kvcd, could that be why the quality was a bit splotchy? I mostly download mpeg or avi. What format is best for downloading? I am patient, and don't care how long it takes to download! Sorry I am so long winded!I have previewed the movies in win media player, as long as I don't use full screen mode, the picture looks great. Sound was fine. (Just spoiled on 5.1)Thank you so much for your time, as I know you all have so many questions to answer! It's a pleasant experience when you have good people to help you along the way! Keep up the good work! I am going to convert my next movie, and will check back here before I burn again.I teach people how to use their puters, and it is nice to see the smiles on their faces when they use it for the first time. (can you see mine? :)) after I get a few movie under my belt, I think I will try using nero expree to burn with. I have just about every program for making dvds, just have to learn them! I came prepared!

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

sorry still lost on the files here:

,"Movie Title.I00", "Movie title.I01", "Movie title.I02". + mds

1, were these what you downloaded? and what file extension were they? MPEG? AVI? etc...

2, you see depending on what you had first makes alot of difference on what apps and what quailty etc, so this info would help me and you.

3, you say you ended up with 4 files total? were these the ones after useing AVI2DVD or DIVXTODVD ?

useing the MDS file is ok! although i dont use them.

And 4x burning is what is recommended here and then move to faster when you are confident everything else id good! its so you know whats going on as 8x may work but on good discs / apps!

Divx/avi are good - svcd can be ok, it has to loose qualty twice to get to dvd vobs/ifo/bup!

but best are DVD and DVDSCR - scr being screener but the size is like 4gig?

and finally what apps from start to finish did you use on this film? and dont forget what ext was it? avi or mpeg, kvcd i have heard of but not used! vcd is a no go forget it when it comes to converting! and if its close to that i would not get kvcd either!

11. 2new4u

2new4u Member

Ok, I started with a kvcd encoded mpg. I converted it in divxtodvd. The folder I got with that was a videots folder which has the bup and vts files in it. Then I ran it through dvd shrink (which it fit on a dvd without any shrinkage), but ran it through anyways as instructed in bbmayos tutorial. In the shrink default folder, it gave me: the movie title.I00 (zeros) the movie title.I01 the movie title.I02. and a movie name.mds file. These files are what confused me. Could I have just burned the video ts folder? Did I need to put those files in the video ts folder? I wasn't expecting to get so man files from it. Thats when I just burned the mds file. I don't know too much about these types of files yet since I am new to dvd burning. I thought in shrink it was suppose to create an iso file. That is what I told it to do. I hope I am making this easier, though sometimes I can take something simple and complicate the heck out of it...sorry. Thanks on the advice for types of movies that are best, now I know I can download better files to start with.
    I also noticed in divxtodvd, while converting "the input frame rate 24000/1001 doesn't match the output frame rate [29.97fps] rate compensation...(it was recomended in tutorial to choose force 29.97fps)Am I loosing anything here? I also don't know about ratios.
    The ratio was 4:3 computed frame aspect ratio 1.4667. I don't know what all this stuff means, just included it incase it was useful info. Everything else seem ok to me... Have you ever wanted to choke a newbie...:) btw- my movie only has one main title.

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

if your file are under 4.36gig you dont need dvd shrink you can just burn the file! if you have nero use that to burn, click tab button caled ADD-Video in dvd mode and it will make a folder called VIDEO_TS place all files of vob/bup/ifo file ext and burn, thats it done!

although you can put the file trhough shrink to make an ISO if you wish so dvd decrypter will burn it! both apps are free, now dvd decrypter can come in handy as for certain dvd writer drives it can change booktype/bitsettings which makes +R format like dvdrom so to act more like -R as -R is more compatible with more standalone players or should i say dvdrom format more compatible.

now i have never seen in dvd shrink an option to make an mds file on backup? although it could be there and i turned it off, but i just loked and cant see it? i have used dvd shrink for 3 years now? amny versions.

you can also use dvd shrink settings to output burning straight to dvd decrypter by itself, with no interaction on dvd decrypter part, except insert disc.

so all you are burning is vob ifo and bup file exts! and maybe an mds in certain circumstances

divxtodvd is good but still new so can through a wobbler on aspect ratio now and again but on the whole a good app

16:9 is wide screen tv! do you own one? its the letter box affect on screen, black bar top and bottom!

4:3 is sqaure tv no lines top and bottom,

so if you want your picture correct size you need to do this! as downloaded files i have seen come in all shapes and sizes for aspect ratio, you dont want a tall guy looking like a dwarf now.

and pal and ntfc you know about i am UK so we use pal tv 25.000 frames america uses ntsc 29.000 frames

hope this helps abit?

have fun....

13. 2new4u

2new4u Member

Hi there Rotary
    Thanks. you did help. I like learning new things, It keeps me on my toes! Knowing what types of files to burn helped. Now I know more about aspect ratios, and pal. I have both types of tv. I just burned another movie, and it turned out great. I will be more selective when downloading movie, though I must say, for a newbie, better than half of the movies I downloaded are either dvd rips, or dvd screeners! Thanks for that info rotary! I really appreciate your help! I am going to burn my next movie with nero. One happy newbie! Yes, because of your help, I am having fun! Before you know it I'll be burning like a pro, Thanks to you!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  14. shivermc

shivermc Member

Hi,I'm having a problem with burning. I'm a bit new to it all so please be patient. When I try to use DVD Shrink the message I get is "DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file "E:\" or "F" incorrect function"
    The thing is i've managed to do it before but having trouble now. My burner drive is ok i can backup cds but not dvds.
    Please help
    Shiver :)

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

sounds like a new protection dvd! dvd shrink is old now! use anydvd in background to rip with dvd shrink! or get dvd decrypter and rip it on its own!