1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a good TMPGEnc ?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by LAZY321, Feb 21, 2004.

1. LAZY321

LAZY321 Member

hey i have one very simple question that i think i already know the answer to, but please reconfirm me.

i am using TMPGEnc to encode avi to mpg2
    and just wondering if it is necessary to max out the video bitrate if the orginal input bitrate is much less?

because if a avi has 800kbps and i convert to mpeg with 4000kpbs does it help the quality or will it play in a dvd player with low rates such as 800?

thanks in advance (TIA)
    LAZY

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Bitrate of your Source File has absolutly NOTHING to do with the Bitrate you use to encode it to Mpeg2 so get that Idea Right out of Your Head because there is No corelation at all between the 2 formats....So when you are encodeing to Mpeg2 it makes no Differance what bitrate was used to create the Source File...Cheers

3. LAZY321

LAZY321 Member

thanks but my question was not answered, maybe it was unclear so i will restate it.

if i look in gspot and see that the avi has a video bitrate of 800 and i want to encode to mpeg2(CBR) with tmpgenc and when it asks me to choose video bitrate for output, then do i gain if i choose a higher bitrate like 2000?

the reason why i am asking is becasue i have been burning these avi onto dvds for a year now and i recently posed the question on myself, that if the bitrate is 800 on the surce then how could increasing the bitrate for the mpg be benefical if the quality has already been suffered from compression and lower bitrates(800)

so basically i am just going to try adding 2 movies on a dvd instead of 1, to save money. i pose the ? bc i wasnt sure if the changing the BT will change anything.. so i am just going to give it a try..

minion thanks but could you explain what you were hinting around at.. i am very good with the program,terminology, and what not so shoot at it and explain.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

I believe the Premace that your Question is Baced on is False...The Bitrate of your AVI file has Absolutly nothing to do with what Bitrate you should use to encode that File to Mpeg2...
    There is No Corelation between your AVI bitrate and Mpeg2 Bitrate, they are 2 Totally seperate Compression methods that have no bearing on each other...Your AVI file can have a Bitrate of 800kbs or 8,000kbs and it wouldn"t change what Bitrate you would use to encode the File to Mpeg2....
    I hope you understand what I"m saying?? Cheers

5. LAZY321

LAZY321 Member

yeah so do you suggest maxing out the bitrate then for the mpg, do you think it will do any good?

i tried it and burned to avi>mpegs on one dvd, it was fine but i am just curious if i suffered quality by dropping the mpg BT to 2000 each..

i understand what you are sayin, 2 diff compresion methods

thanks

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Bitrate you should use to encode Any File to Mpeg2 Depends on the Quality of the Source File and the Resolution of the Target File and the Length of the Movie....If you are Makeing a Standard DVD (720+480/576-Pal) then an Average Bitrate of about 5000kbs will usually be sufficient that is if you are Useing a Good Quality encoder ,A low Quality encoder will Probably use More Bitrate to achieve the same Quality...You basicly have to use your own Judgement and getting a Bitrate calculator is allways helpfull..
    From the way you were talking It sounds Like you usually use one of those Programs that take you from AVI to DVD all in the Same Program??? These Programs only Produce mediocre results but are good For poeple who aren"t Picky and don"t have the Time to learn a High Quality method....Cheers

7. LAZY321

LAZY321 Member

thanks
    but really i am talking about TMPGEnc not to be mean but it is the title. i apreciate all the help you are adivsing.

i encode at the normal or high/slow setting which means 10-15 frames per second. which is good for encoding quality. i am picky with quality and thats why i have asked on the quality issue of avi bitrate. i quess i will just try the method of putting 2movies on 1 disc until i feel unsatisfied or until someone actually answers my question. it seems like it is getting hinted around but not answered. unless you think it is a stupid question.

the question

if i have a avi that is 800 kbps 480x320 25fps and want to encode to mpeg, how do i judge the waste point?
    by waste point i mean the extra bitrate that is not benefical to quality but just adds in size. the whole goal is to get 2 on 1 without suffering qualtiy. so tmpgenc will only let me at lowest encode to 2000kbps for mpg2

so thanks and TIA

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you use a VBR Encodeing Method than the Encoder will Only use as Many Bits as are needed to encode each Frame so you don"t have to worry about what Bitrate is too high or too low ...And it doesn"t Matter what the resolution of your AVI file is as too what Bitrate you should use it matters what resolution your Target format is..And Tmpgenc will Let you set the Bitrate as Low or as High as you want so if the Settings seem to be Locked in one setting then you have to load the "Unlock.mfc" Template from the "Extra" Folder and then all of the Settings will be Unlocked...So if you use a Encodeing Method Like "CQ(Constant Quality)" and just set the Minimum and Maximum bitrates and set the Quality slider to about 75% then Tmpgenc will only use the Bitrate needed to encode each Frame within the Max and Min Bitrate range you set......Cheers

9. LAZY321

LAZY321 Member

thanks for the constant help and input