1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A legal Question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sean5775, Jan 4, 2005.

1. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I have an interesting legal question about backups of DVD's.

A friend of mine kept all of his original DVD's (about 25 aprox.) in his vehicle because there is a DVD player there and the backups that he made were at home.
    He had the originals in the vehicle stolen a few days ago. Now Im sure he will keep them anyways but it sparked a thought for me... IS he legally permitted to keep the backups if he no longer has the originals?

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

In a court you would have to prove that you owned the originals. There is not a courthouse in the world that would believe you if you did not have the receipts.!

3. wowzers

wowzers Member

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over something like that. In the Privacy of your own home you can do many things. Its the ones out there that are making a profit from burnt dvd's that are gonna get burnt themselves.

4. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

As wowzers said, also in court there has not been 1 person that has been convicted of making backups for personal use, only the fools that sell them get nicked

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I really have to agree what the previous posts have said, if you sell them & make a name for yourself, you are asking for trouble. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

6. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

so can you go to blockbuster...and rent a DVD...use DVD shrink to burn it...and take the orginal back? can they tell what you have done?

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Yes to your first question, although we cannot condone copying other peoples' movies, as it is illegal in many countries. No to your second, as a dvd is a ROM, as in read only memory. You cannot alter a dvd ROM, by its' very nature!
    Shrink cannot burn, only read & compress, you need a burn engine to do that, i.e. nero or decryptor.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  8. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

So you can go to blockbuster, rent a DVD, bring it home and burn it. Right? Now, is it illegal? Can they check if you have done it?

Also, my DVD Shrink...makes a copy of the orginal. Sure it puts it on the HD, but it also asks to put a blank DVD in there, and then it copies it.

9. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

No i would think it would be illegal, if you read the things at the begining of dvds it tells you all the stuff you cant do with them, and its a big list

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I repeat shrink is NOT a burn engine. you must have nero or another burn engine in your PC for it to burn.

Did you read my last post?

If you cannot alter a dvd ROM, which you cannot, how can blockbuster know that you have done it?

Pulsar

11. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

I know what my computer does! So unless you are here with me, you must NOT know.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2005
  12. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

Also, when using DVD Shrink it has the encrypting status. Which is with a copyrighted movie, I didnt know if you could tell if that has been altered with.

13. wowzers

wowzers Member

It is illegal to go to blockbuster and rent dvd's to burn. You can burn a dvd if you own the original as a backup means. However, you would not be the first one to burn blockbusters movies. Like I said earlier, its the ones that get greedy and want to make a profit from burning that get burnt. There is no need to tell the world about what you are burning. Why does it need to be public? Burn while you can because blue laser discs are entering the market and cannot be ripped. These are the discs that all the big movie corps are gonna be putting their movies on in order to prevent ripping. I'm sure it will take a while for the conversion as well as I'm sure someone will crack these un-rippable dics...........Cheers :)

14. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

Thank you for the response. Your post is exactly what i was looking for. Some other people on this board are assholes. But you cleared everything up, thanks!

15. wowzers

wowzers Member

Anytime.......Happy Burning!

16. wowzers

wowzers Member

By the way,Blockbuster cannot tell if their movie has been ripped.I forgot to answer that question in my last reply.......Cheers :)

17. fastkart8

fastkart8 Guest

Ok, thanks for everything! I wasnt trying to make it public, just wanted to know if blockbuster could spy on you burning their movies.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

I doubt Blockbuster would send a cashier home to watch you even if you supplied your name and address here. However, beware... Big Brother is watching what goes over the net. You'd be surprised how often piracy and forum discussions are brought up while pending legislation of fair use continues. What is said and the instructions on piracy can have an effect on the laws that govern our future.

Hmm... does Blockbuster know if you're copying their movies? No and they care much less than the politicians hired by the movie industry to curtail fair use rights. That means the politicians and hired "guns" for the industry can use what you say about piracy on here against you.

19. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

If you do not own the original movie that you are backing up, then YES it is illegal to copy it. That said, the only way Blockbuster could tell if you copied a disc, is if someone (and they'd have to be pretty flipping stupid to do this) returned the copy of the movie instead of the original. Every DVD that is made, has it's own unique ID#, like a fingerprint. So if you copy a disc, the "fingerprint" gets copied along with everything else. So, theoretically, if someone mistakenly took back the wrong disc, and then later returned the original, they could deduce which disc was copied by this ID#, and then go back through their rental logs to see who rented that disc.

Now the question is, would Blockbuster or any other rental outlet, spend the time and money to do all this?? Most likely not. At the most they might call you and tell you to return the original.

Like I said someone would have to be pretty damn stupid to return a copy. :)

20. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

I have returned wrong games b4 ;-)