1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A legal Question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sean5775, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Buik

Buik Regular member

fastkart8

The latest versions of DVDShrink are basically integrated into the latest versions of NERO. They are two seperate programs. They operate independently of each other depending on their settings. Please do not call people a$$holes because you don't know where they are coming from and have not acquired the technical expertise they possess.

TC

2. masakari

masakari Member

I have BlockBuster's movie pass, where I can rent an unlimited amount of disks each month for $25. I have 2 at a time and return them for 2 more when I have finshed watching them. (thats how I decide which one's I will purchase retail and am thinking of upgrading to the 3 disk plan) I live like 5 minutes away from the store so it's very convenient. Now if I were to say...make so many trips each day that the clerk knows I couldn't have possibly watched them in the time I returned to the store, that could make him/her suspicious, even though I am a law abiding citizen. Would the clerk care? Who knows? But thats the main thing isn't it? How much would an individual care about something that really doesn't affect them?
    Now let me tell an unrelated story that reflects just how much people can care. (Ohh...If I ever find the guy I'm refering to in this story I will F#CK him up!)I joined the Army in March of 1998 and was still in training, thus not allowed to smoke cigarettes. When I was close to finishing A.I.T everyone got a 2 day on post pass. My wife picked me up, and we stopped at a gas station on our way to the hotel for some much needed quality time. (the hotel was just off post and no one would know) I bummed a smoke off of the gas station attendant who was a National Guardsman, and put it in my pocket for later. He made pleasant conversation with me in which I revealed my name, unit, company, and training status. I felt I could speak freely with him because he was a fellow Soldier. When he asked me repeatedly to light the cigarette there in front of him I immediatly stopped talking because something was clearly not right. When I signed back in that night one of the guys in my section told me the loser acctually Narced me out to the Sgt. on CQ duty that day. (how much time did it take him to find the correct # to call and report me? I mean honestly...who would go through the effort?) What saved me was that the Sgt. on duty didn't care, even though it made for interesting conversation with some of the guys who didn't have a ride and didn't even leave the barracks that weekend. Now...What was the point of my Story? Like I said before, this is just to illustrate how much some people can care.

3. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Thanks for all the replies everyone, it answered my original question and some other questions I was thinking of. I have never rented movies for the purpose of burning them and don't really intend to. I never would have thought that no one has been charged for doing so but I definitly agree that people who sell them for profit have gotta be the ones that are causing all the problems.

I have one more thought however. Say I rent a movie from blockbuster and reauthor it to copy just the movie itself, that usually leaves out all the FBI warnings etc. Now I could say that I just used my DVD recorder to record it to a DVD and thats how I got it right? Or would the DVD ID be on that still? I suppose it would be I guess.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Fastcart8, you show little knowledge of what you are talking about, Shrink is NOT a burn engine. When will you realise that shrink DOES NOT burn? it uses nero to burn with. You really need to pay attention & think.
    If you call me an bumhole again I WILL report you to a mod. They do not take lightly to insults.
    I cannot understand why you turned on me. I answered your question clearly in my first post.
    You need to to wise up & treat people here with respect, I tried to help you, & you treated me like a complete jackass. If you continue like this you will end up getting banned

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

By the way, fastcart8, you have shown to me & others that you have NO clue how your PC works.
    Bite me, end of discussion.

6. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

first of blockbuster sucks. the new policy on no late fees are total b.s. they'll charge you the full price of the movie in 7 days which can range from $15-$85 freakin' bucks. but they say that they will give you a full refund minus a $1.25 surcharge if it is returned within 30 days. after that your anna nicole smith looking for a dead man.

hollywood video rocks, i'm on their mvp pass. oh the topic, yeah backups are cool.....damn cool

7. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Sorry I just used blockbuster for their popularity I suppose, I never been inside one in my life. I go to movie gallery, they don't have a great selection but my friend works there and usually cuts me a great deal.

8. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

go out and explore!!

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I have Nero, and I know what my computer does! So unless you are here with me, you must NOT know

fastkart8,

Actually pulsar knows exactly what he's talking about. Shrink cannot burn, it must have a burn engine. Since you have admitted to having nero on your PC, most likely shrink is using that.

Go to edit>preferences>fileI/O and you'll probably see that "enable auto burn with nero" is checked.

he doesn't have to be there to know how the software works, Shrink CANNOT BURN, trust me on this one :>)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  10. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Well in the U.K it is illegal to back up a DVD even if you own the original.

So if you have a copy and you get grassed up Trading Standards will pay you a vist and then you will end up with a hefty court fine or imprisonment depending if you have been done before for the same thing.

11. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

"Well in the U.K it is illegal to back up a DVD even if you own the original"

Thats a little harsh isn't it. Why don't they just not sell DVD burners there then. Or DVD-R's thats the only way to stop people from doing it, but wait the companies that make this stuff want to make money so thats not going to happen.

12. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Yes it is harsh i agree.

But that is the law and as the movie and game companies donate money to our goverment they are becoming tougher and tougher on those that offend (obviously this has nothing to do about the money they are dontating LOL)

In the U.K anyone who backs up a disc, will be portrayed as Drug dealers/Traffickers, Terrorists, Child Molesters, all so that the law abiding citizen will grass some one up with some back ups.

U.K law is very stupid, whilst they will fine someone say £3000 for copyright theft, a drink driver who kills another human being will get a £500 fine and a suspended senteance, complete joke !!!!!.

13. masakari

masakari Member

Wow! The UK really sucks!!! I hate it for you Maven! I wonder...are there many people over in the UK that uhhh...how shall I say this..."Care"?

14. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

You will be suprised by how many twats there are that will stitch you up.

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Masakari, in answer to your question, "who in the UK cares". I believe the answer to that would be "not many"

16. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

I have to admit im not entirely sure what you 2 actually mean ?

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Maven, I am referring to who cares about the legal implications of backing up dvds in the UK!

18. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

People in the UK would care, also maven how many people have you heard of that have been fined £3000? AND Trading Standards dont deal with people copyin DVDS the police do, And its only illgeal to back up dvds in the UK without the publishers say so (i think)

19. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

A close friend of mine i can only assume was either grassed up, or a fellow trader of his was busted, as Trading Standards came knocking. He had 75 PS2 backups in his possesion.

It was his first offence for anything yet he had to goto court and was fined £1500 & £1500 costs.

He only avoided a prison senteance because his partner was pregnant at the time and that was taking into consideration.

Trading Standards are evil b******* and seem to have no compassion unlike the police who where present when he was raided, as the officer told him he had better things to do but they have to be present.

The best of it was when they where all leaving the police had to ask the Trading Standards officers if he was going to be arrested or not, needless to say they did not arrest him as they had their evidence.

20. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member