1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little Audio help. May be my codecs.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by pchan424, Dec 12, 2004.

1. pchan424

pchan424 Member

I just spent a lot of time looking through all the old posts on here and following advice and ive come to the following problem. I downloaded a movie onto my computer and the video looks great but with my original codec configuration i couldnt here anything at all. well i looked through a bunch of codec posts on here and tried to follow a lot of advice in them so i uninstalled all my codecs and just installed the following. Latest divx codec, ffdshow-20041012, OggDS0995, XviD-1.0.2-29082004, and windows media player codecs. well i went to try to play the file and now i have sound but its mixed in with this horrable scratchy noise. i can here the movie though its just really loud and horrable scratching. The video is encoded in Xvid format. Maybe im missing a codec or something. Anyone have any advice or instructions to help me? Thanks.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The steps you have taken so far sound good but it would help (me help you) if I knew what type of audio compression it has if any? If you have no Idea what I mean...

1) Download GSpot Codec Information Appliance (here)

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

2) Install GSpot Codec Information Appliance

3) Tell me what it tells you about the audio (and othere stuff if you want)

Tip: Use GSpot's rendering feature to see what codecs you have that will play your file!

Tip: The "Stat" buttons under each field are very helpfull.

Hope this helps,
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2004
  3. pchan424

pchan424 Member

First off let me thank you for replying to my post and trying to help me. Ok lets see if i can do this right.
    I installed Gspot and opened it up.
    I clicked file, open and opened the movie file im trying to play.
    Under audio
    Codec
    Name: ac3 (0x2000) Dolby Laboratories, Inc
    Stat: 2 compatable codecs installed.

Bitrate 448 kb/s (6 ch) CBR FS 48000 Hz

Stat detail:
    Audio format
    code 0x2000
    name WAVE_FORMAT_AC3
    The following codecs should both capable of processing this format
    ffdshow audio decoder
    nero digital audio decoder

I think thats prety much all of it. if you need to know anything else from it let me know. Again thanks for the help

4. pchan424

pchan424 Member

Also i was wondering if you could answer another question for me while your at it. I have 2 versions of Gspot one i downloaded elsewhere which is the rar file you can use without installing it. and it says GSpot252b01. I also downloaded the one and installed it from the link you gave me and thats the one i used to give you the info. its file name was gspot221. Which one do you think is better and i should use in the future?

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

gspot question.
    i don't know, use what is convenient to you.

ac3 problem. ffdshow and nero can decode it.
    check nero if its decodeing it. turn it off. and use ffdshow's.

or the other way round.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Good question pchan424. Both GSpot programs were created by the same people. Version 2.21 is the most current stable version that is supported by the creator of GSpot. Version 2.52 is still in its "Beta" testing stage meaning that it isn't ready to be released (not fully tested and may contain horrible bugs that could harm your PC).

So how is it possible to use a program that doesn't exist yet? GSpot is open source so anyone who wants to compile the code and distribute the binary exacutable may do so. The official site (the link I gave you) offers the source code for version 2.21 (stable) for download (.rar) as well as version 2.52. That is what you downloaded, an unstable future version of the program compiled by an unknown third party developer/tester that someone thought would be kwel to offer for download. So, to answer your queston I would recommend that you use the stable version (GSpot v2.21). For that matter only use the stable verions of any programs you come across (except the ones that I recommend... :)).

Now about that AC3 filter. It seems that you have what you need to play the file. Have you thought about downloading Matrix Mixer (AC3 filter). Its very popular among people who encode to such high standards. It also depends on what order you installed your codecs in. The one you installed first would be the first choice for your media player. Did you use the render feature at the bottom of the GSpot window. After rendering the stats it has on the file are more detailed. It will tell you wich filter tried to decode the steam first as well as how it did and how the others did at decoding the stream. If every thing goes well its probably your file that is messed up not your codecs.

AC3 filter project:
    http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/

Matrix Mixer:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/matrix-mixer

Ced

7. pchan424

pchan424 Member

Ok i downloaded the AC3 codec from the site you gave me. http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/ and Success! i opened the video file and there was no scratchy noise and i could actually here. ^.^ thanks so much for all the help. i am curius about one thing though. i had to turn my sound way up. the sound on this movie is so much lower then everything else on my computer i hafta turn it way up to here good. any ideas what can help that or maybe why? Also you said that it matters what order you install your codecs in. So now i have Latest divx codec, ffdshow-20041012, OggDS0995, XviD-1.0.2-29082004, Windows media player codecs, and ac3filter_0_70b. for future reference what order should i install them in and does that look like prety much all the codecs ill need? Again thanks for all the help im really greatful that you guys know a lot more then common people like me heh. thanks

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Awsome! The order of installation defines which codec will be used first. But most times when you install a codec you will have the option to make it the default codec or not. The order only comes into play when you have more than one codec that can decode a file. You should only install good codecs. There is no reason to have more than one codec on the computer that can do the some job unless you are into encoding and converting video files. Installing too many codecs can screw up your PC (If you don't know what your doing)! I would advise you not to install codec packs (the entire codec pack that is).

Your source file sounds like it came from a DVD or something that encodes MPEG-2 standard files. The AC3 standard allows for 6-channels of sound (5.1 surround sound). If the stereo channels are much higher than the surround channels the effect is lost. So, for that reason the L & R stereo channels are dubbed low. Its not a problem with you hardware, your media player, or your codecs!

The list of codecs you have sounds excellent! You shouldn't run into any problem again unless, some codec that nobodies ever heard of was used for encoding :)

I'm glad I could help,
    Ced

9. pchan424

pchan424 Member

Thanks a lot for all the help. I think all of my codec questions have been answered. and Merry christmas to ya!