1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Little Help for Home DVDs Needed.....

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by LeoLeroy, Dec 12, 2004.

1. LeoLeroy

LeoLeroy Member

Hello,

I originally posted this in the Newbie section but I deleted it and decided to post it here. I think the Newbie forums are a little too basic for my question.

I have DVDs (DVD+R) with home videos w/audio on them. The audio is Dolby. These DVDs are my personal DVDs and are NOT encrypted or copyrighted. They were created on a stand alone DVD recorder, have chapters every 10 minutes, and all are DVD+Rs that have been "Finalized." Now I'm looking for software to:

1) Copy/capture video and audio directly from my DVD reader/writer in my computer to my hard drive.
    2) Edit the audio/video.
    3) Create a DVD+R with the captured and edited video and audio.
    4) Create other video files, such as WMV files, MPG files, etc. from the same captured video/audio.

Are there any programs out there that will do all this?

I have Ulead MovieFactory 3.5 and it will allow me to capture the video and audio directly from my DVD burner, but when it's done processing it, I get an error message that it doesn't support Dolby.

All my other programs insist on using my a/v capture card. I want to be able quickly take the video and audio directly from these DVD+Rs from my computer's DVD writer and put in on my hard drive to edit.

I have also downloaded the trial version of Ulead DVD Workshop 2, but I'm not able to capture video/audio directly from my DVD drive. It will only allow me to use my a/v analog input device.

I realize beggers can't be choosers, but I prefer to stay away from Nero products. Currently I have Roxio Easy Creator 7, and Ulead MovieFactory 3.5. I use DVD Derypter and Roxio for commercial DVD backups.

BTW, all these DVD+Rs will play in any DVD player computer or stand-alone (well, probably not real old ones that aren't DVD+R compatible).

Just point me in the right direction will be fine! Thanks for any help.

Edit: #3 above should say: 3) Create a DVD+R with the captured and edited video and audio using my computer DVD burner (not the stand-alone).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Nero 6 Ultra is one of the best dvd burning packages on the market. Most members on this forum will suggest it over Roxio every time. There is a free 30 day trial for the full program to download. I think it can do most of what you want to do since your dvd's are not encrypted. You could also try the trial download of CloneDVD2. It should let you edit them also. The only problem may be converting them to different video formats.

Jerry

3. LeoLeroy

LeoLeroy Member

Thanks Jerry. I have downloaded CloneDVD2 trial version in the past, but never installed it because I was doing well with DVD Derypter and Roxio for my backup DVDs.

I'll install the trial version of CloneDVD2 after I check and make sure I have the newest trail version available.

I know most people here prefer Nero, but Nero 6 almost wiped out my DVD reader/writer capabilites earlier this year. Probably my fault, but I'm really afraid to mess with Nero products!

Edit: BTW, anyone used a CyberHome stand alone DVD recorder (model CH-DVR 1500)? That's what I used to create my DVD+Rs, but it went belly-up after only a couple of days. I discovered today that the last DVD+R I recorded did not "Finalize," even though the Cyber machine thinks it did. I made three more coasters before I determined it was the Cyber machine. I can only view my new coasters on the Cyber unit; nothing else. All my DVD+Rs in-house were made by Ricoh, and they have worked flawlessly for everything. I'm going to call Cyber tech tomorrow (Monday). They are located in Fremont, CA. Just curious if anyone else has tried the CyberHome unit.