1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little help with uTorrent speed (DHT:waiting to log on)

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by P2P2P, May 2, 2007.

1. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

Hi all,
    The speed of my torrents has dropped to almost zero and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

A little background info usually helps so:
    1. I don't have a router so port forward isn't an issue.(Modem straight into network card)
    2. I've followed the setup guides for uTorrent settings on this forum so I'm fairly sure that's not the problem. (encryption enabled etc)A friend uses the same ISP and has no probs so ISP aren't throttleing.
    3. I have the message "DHT:Waiting to log on" (this is the problem and only happened recently)
    4. It's not an internet connection problem as I can surf and download fine. Download manager gets good speeds.
    5. I've OK'ed uTorrent in Norton firewall to accept incoming and outgoings.
    6. It's only in the last week this seems to be an issue and I haven't installed any additional software.

I am currently blaming a Norton update but I can't be sure and would appreciate if any other Norton users are haveing problems in the last week or so.(ie. A recent Norton update)
    Does anyone else have this problem or have a solution for me.

Once again thanks for the help.

2. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

If you are blaming it on a Norton update (I hate Norton) then my first reaction would be to disable Norton completely and then see whether or not the torrents work.

Lets try a test ok? First Do NOT Disable Norton, yet.

1.Go to this website and download their torrent; OpenOffice
    2.Run the torrent like you would for any other torrent
    3.Let it run for like 40 minutes as it takes time to speed up, every so often observe what the performance is like, good speed, bad speed, average, connectable peers?
    4.After completing the torrent, or until you are satisfied, run the test again, BUT this time disable Norton, and see whether that makes a difference.

Interpreting the results
    a)Its basic, if you got good speeds with Norton running, then the torrents you were trying before may have been unseeded torrents, bad torrents, or somehting.
    b)If, however, the torrents were not speeding up at all whilst Norton was running, BUT the torrent ran well when you disabled Norton, then we have reason to suspect Norton.
    c)On the other hand, if the torrent did NOT run well with Norton disabled, and never ran with Norton enabled, then we have reason to believe it is something else that is causing you problems.

In the case of any of scenario B. above
    If Norton continues to give you trouble, then I think the time has come for you to move away from the happy world of Norton, and move into the world of ZA.
    In other words, a change of firewall may be required, and I would reccommend Zone Alarm, why? Because I use it, thats a start, and many others do to, and it is totally torrent friendly, as long as you allow your client, through ZA's easy to use control panel.

Incase of not wanting to change firewalls
    When I posted this, I believed the chances of you changing firewalls, are slim. But I still suggested it, incase of scenario B.

Incase of Scenario C.
    I think a spyware, virus, adware, tracking cookie, check is in order!

How do I run an effective spyware, adware, virus etc. check?
    I do not know what Norton you have, but I think you might have Norton Anti-Virus as well right? If that is the case use that to scan for viruses, if that is not the case, use whatever anti-virus you have, if in the case that you do NOT have an anti-virus program, there is a really good free one out there by the name of AVG-Anti Virus (Free one). You can get it here

The scanning for spyware part is a little easier, because there are so many free programs out there that do the work really well for you, one of the most well known free anti-spyware program is called Spybot Search & Destroy, you can get this here

With spyware it does not just stop there, you should get another anti-spyware program as well, this one is called Ad-Aware SE Personal get it here

And one more program to get, this one is really good for getting those tracking cookies and was shown to me by a user called Rav009 (thanks Rav)
    You can get Ewido here (It is called AVG something, something now.) Anyway this program is free in the essence that it lasts as a thirty day trial BUT after the trial it still works properly, only you do not get real time protection, like anti-spy guard or something.

Ok now that you have all of the above programs, you should start to scan, REMEMBER ONE scan at a time, I have known some people to be stupid and try using all programs and scan at the same time. Anyway start of with the virus scan, then move onto Spybot SD, then to Ad-Aware, then to Ewido (AVG Anti-Spyware).
    Clean all the files you find, ofcourse check them aswell.

After all that scanning and removal your comp should have got rid of some spyware, etc.

Now you can check the torrent agian.

If the above contains any flaw, feel free to tell me, and if I have done or said anything wrong, I apolagise, if there are severe gramatical, spelling, typographical errors, I apolagise for that aswell, it is a long post, and I have tried my best to check it through.

BluRay

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  3. Hvygear

Hvygear Member

I would suggest that you ditch the Norton software ASAP, Using it before i had issues playing certain games etc. Get Mcaffe when you can.

4. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

Hvygear, Suggesting someone to ditch a program and get another one, is far from solving the issue.

What you must understand is that he may have payed a lot of money for his package, and to be told to change it to another program will cost him more money, and just dishearten him.

Changing the program should be the last resort, after all else has failed.

Although I have suggested he change Norton already, I never meant it whole heartedly, it was just there as part of an escape plan. (Whatever the hell that might be.)

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  5. Hvygear

Hvygear Member

Fact is BluRay that Norton compared to Mcafee is inferior. One way or the other i would still suggest a switch over at some point. I wasn't telling him to ditch Norton, i merely suggested it. Regardless of whether or not he payed a lot for his package my suggestion still stands.

You don't know that, it might be. Ive had issues with with software before that required removing it. For all you know there could be an incompatibility issue/conflict with other software on his system.

So yes, my suggestion still stands.

6. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

That's about the best, most detailed answer I think I've ever got. Thanks a mil BluRay.
    It seems the problem has resolved itself which again suggests a Norton issue. They probably twigged they made some dreadful mistake and have fixed it since in a later update. You were correct in your 'ditch Norton' assumption, I paid €80 ($100) for the full Internet Security package and it still has about 9 months to go, so removing it for the moment isn't an option. I'm not a huge fan of it myself and when your subscription runs out Norton IS A VIRUS. The subscription reminder comes up and you can't close or even minimise it. I've heard even removing Norton can cause serious problems as it clings onto system resources for dear life. If you've seen the film 'Alien', I think the little chest bustin beasty's name was norton and, as in the film, the host contracted as serious case of death shortly afterwards. I'm sticking my head in the sand for at least the remainder of the subscription on this one.
    I did a lot of searching on the web at the time to find a solution and I think you've covered almost everything so hopefully this thread can act as an excellent starting point for anyone having similar difficulties.
    Once again thank a mil.

7. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

You are most welcome P2P2P.

I am currently, as a favour, am looking into this whole Norton business. And will find a solution on how to completely remove Norton, then I will PM you the solution.

I will also PM you a anti-virus solution, that is really good, it is the one I use.

BluRay