1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little nervous

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by mariotwo, Nov 3, 2007.

1. mariotwo

mariotwo Member

Ok

I had 2 xbox 360s, i flashed one with a hitachi drive and then got banned when the Halo 3 beta was released.

I have since been using both of my consoles... one to play my backups, and one to play the online multiplayer games that i HAD to take out of the cases to play.

Recently i started getting RRoD symptoms so i called MS... they had me send it in and i got it back in 2 weeks. The case was in great condition except the USB door was missing off the face plate and the warranty sticker was missing. They very politely sent it back and said it had been tampered with and they wouldnt fix it.

I have checked and people charge $100+ to fix 360s around here... a bit excessive for a non guaranteed fix in my opinion.

I am considering just flashing my second 360 but the idea is making me a little nervous.

I rember reading in one of the firmware NFOs something about not using the standard power supply when flashing the newest firmware now as it raises a flag...? Is that the dvd power supply or the system power supply? I dont get that part...

Is there a NEW definitive guide to flashing and burning? most of the guides that i see are from back in April or May or around that time...

Can DVDMulleter fix my old backups? Can i rip them from my PC drive and fix and recreate the ISO to burn? I packed up most of my retail copies and my son even lost my Viva Pinata disc. blargh.

Sorry if this info is posted in other places... it was hard to find up to date information and things relative to what im concerned with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. mariotwo

mariotwo Member

Anybody?

3. Mehtevas

Mehtevas Regular member

You can use the 360's power supply (DVD power) and not get banned. They only stated that because they thought it raised a flag but it doesn't.

If you have a Samsung drive, you can use my old flashing guide for MS28 and the VIA 6421a card. The only difference now is the prep tools for the floppy. I still use the old one as it works fine.

XDVDMulleter can fix most non-stealth backups. Re-rip and run it through and select auto-fix.

The new firmware won't boot any disc unless it is stealth patched.

4. mariotwo

mariotwo Member

Right on... thanks for the reply! :)

Ok ive been doing more reading and found some more up to date tutorials.

Question, tutorial says to use a crocodile clip to attach the 360 chassis to the pc chassis. Is this necessary? I didnt use it with the first system and i had zero problems for close to a year or so until the system finally went RRoD.

I know that the firmware wont boot the backup if it isnt properly stealth patched, but does the 360 keep a log of when i try to load something that isnt properly patched even though it isnt bootable?

5. Mehtevas

Mehtevas Regular member

I've heard that the 360 does report it through Xbox Live and that's why you got 1.2 instead of the 1.1 firmware. The ixtreme 1.2 fw blocks the 360 from booting the game that's not properly stealth patched and prevents the 360 from reporting that info to Live.

6. mariotwo

mariotwo Member

Hmm interesting. And this has been tested and verified?

7. Mehtevas

Mehtevas Regular member

Ugh yeah.. everything I've said has been verified. No need to be too worried.

8. steimy

steimy Active member

I just love when people do this. So tell me exactly how you tested and verified the iExtreme 1.2 firmware. Look here are the REAL facts:

1. iXtreme stops you from being able to play games that are not stealth patched. In other words it is like idiot proofing your 360 so you can't play games that are not patched. Nothing more.

2. you would not need iextreme if you checked them with DVDmulleter to make sure they were stealth before you burned them.

3. the older firmware and newer firmware have about the same chance of getting you banned. If you use stealth copies on either they will work. If you mod your system you take the risk. Good media and stealth patching everything that you play will surely keep you under the radar so to speak, but nothing gives you 100% immunity from being banned.

4. When MS decides that they will create a way to detect the firmware and start banning everyone with it there will be very little that you can do to stop them. Just look at the old Xbox. They could detect if you had a modchip in your system, had changed the hard drive and many other things (which they would ban you for). Also they could detect a softmodded system if you did not know the way around it, which was to have a dual boot mode that you could boot to either softmodded or stock dashboards. And even then you had to still own and use the original game to get online without being banned. So anyone who thinks the hammer will not come or that some new improved firmware will keep them safe and sound is just fooling themselves. The day will come eventually.

9. Mehtevas

Mehtevas Regular member

Well Steimy, I've modded about 300 360's so far and every one has been banned only using unstealth backups. So your point #1 is right.
    I've also read the xbox live logs from and damn near sit in the #FW channel just to see what is up.
    I've done this shit a LONG time and just for sake or arguing with you or anyone else on here, I just told the guy the exact same thing you did. It "idiot" proofs your 360 against non-stealth backups.
    That's why I said "I wouldn't be TOO worried"

2. True, but I'd go ahead and let the guy who is super worried about being banned to use the "idiot" proof FW. You're right, you NEVER know what the hell Microsoft has up their sleeve.

3. Correct.

4. Also true.

Instead of sitting here explaining every little detail because everytime I answered a question, he had another one, I just gave him the most up to date info.

So don't jump on my ass for not taking the time to explain every detail like I have 100's of times before. If he can post, he can search. These questions have been asked and answered countless times already.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

So what your saying is because i actually gave him the full truth on the matter. And because i tell people that no one is 100% immune to being banned that you now have your panties in a bunch? People need to know that risk in involved in modding. It is the way it is, and the way it has always been. And for the record i have been playing around with consoles since Pong so the 300 systems that you modded really doesn't come into play with me.

And seeing that no one really knows what to be woried about and what not too i find it difficult to tell people anything to that effect. All we know is things that can help you with laying low and HOPEFULLY not getting banned. I can tell you about quite a few people who played online with non-stealth back ups who were not banned. So it was a random thing and not a sure thing. I also know plenty of people who never upgraded past 5.2 and play online all the time without getting banned. It will happen when they want it to and no firmware version will stop them.

It is fine if you disagree or do not like my opinions. I have been around these and other forums long enough to know you can not please everyone.

11. mariotwo

mariotwo Member

geez guys i didnt mean to start an argument... i just had a few questions and sometimes questions spawn questions. No biggie. Thank you BOTH for answering them though. :)

12. Mehtevas

Mehtevas Regular member

No argument here, and I got my "panties" in a bunch only because of the first sentence you stated about you hate how people say things that "isn't verified".

Well man I think it's common sense to know that doing anything to your console runs risks. I've been playing around with computers and video game systems since the C64 and the old Intellivision as well, so I'm not some new comer as well.

Look on these forums, it's full of topics from people who you'd have to wonder how they ever turned their PC on asking about how to mod 360's. If we wanted to truely lay low, we wouldn't be spreading the knowledge to each and every 14 yr old who comes here with the thread title "help me".

13. mariotwo

mariotwo Member

Well i didnt say i hated anything, i just asked if it had been verified... because after i flashed my first 360 i mostly stopped following the process on the newer firmwares.

Im not 14, im actually almost 30... ive modded several systems with success on my own including psx, psp, ps2, ds, xbox... etc

But the 360 makes me a little nervous. This is the first time ive actually enjoyed PAYING for a live subscription to play online with my friends. I know there are risks involved and i've already taken them.

Anyway...

Well i gave it a go but the whole Slax portion seemed different this time... last time when i flashed my first system i seem to recall that it had some errors but then it said everything was ok and i could restart the system. Maybe not... it was several months ago.

However, this time i kept seeing errors all over the place and at the end it said there was a fatal error and that it wasnt normal and to reboot my system. I tried it again with the same results. i kept seeing a message saying port x80 or something was slow to respond. It seemed to take a lot longer to get to where i could reboot this time too.

The drive was in ModeB though for sure the second time, so i went ahead and flashed it and everything seems fine so far... is it supposed to do that on a Hitachi 47?

Also, now if i want to go back and fix my earlier rips from dvd-r, how do i do that with mulleter? How do i extract, autofix, and re-burn?

Those are my last two questions. haha thanks...