1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a n00bish question, is there a way to chip the psp

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by luismjr1, Feb 9, 2008.

1. luismjr1

luismjr1 Member

sorry if this question seems to nooby, but i JUST got my psp and i dont nothing about modding my psp to run backups, is there a way of doing that without downgrading the firmware and all that??? THX in advance

2. cored2

cored2 Member

I believe you have to install cfw to play backups. I am not sure if you modchip the psp though. Install cfw by getting pandora battery, even if you brick your psp the pandora battery will help unbrick your psp.

3. luismjr1

luismjr1 Member

u see, i am a noob, lol, whats that cw something, and whats bricking and unbricking the psp? not to mention whats that pandora battery and what does it does??? please help me, dont ignore me please, i really need help

4. qwertydud

qwertydud Member

pandoras battery is a method to unbrick/downgrade ur psp.
    all psp's start with an offical firmware, security updates from sony.
    Cusom Firmwares are what the name is, custom firmwares that enable you to play backups from the memory stick
    bricking the psp happens when you do screwy updates to the firmware or something. the term is BRICKED because your psp is then as useful as a brick. hope that somewhat helps

5. bu22ard

bu22ard Regular member

there are a few modchips out there for psp

Undiluted Platinum
    Devolution

more...?

although installing cfw is a great deal easier and cheaper :) now that we have Pandora, unbricking is so easy

6. PSPgamen

PSPgamen Regular member

Undiluted Platinum is 60 $ so, there's no deal of buying it. Better buy a DATEL Tool Battery and downgrade your PSP.

7. cored2

cored2 Member

Hey luismjr1, sorry for late reply. cfw is custom frimware that needs to be installed in order for you to play back games, and other applications that are not made by sony. Bricking is when you cause the psp not function due to installing the cfw wrong. The pandora battery helps in two ways.

1) If your psp is already bricked it will unbrick it for you by putting the psp in safe mode (something along the lines of windows xp safe mode but in DOS mode).

2) It helps to install the cfw by placing the psp in safe mode.

You get a psp serivce tool from Datel for psp for like $20. It will convert your battery into a pandora battery and back a normal battery when you need to.

Check this link out: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/610313#3685241

This is what I used to install cfw on my psp.

8. PSPgamen

PSPgamen Regular member

I don't think you can turn the datel tool battery into a normal battery.

9. LeadBaron

LeadBaron Regular member

....Flash a normal EEPROM, maybe?

10. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

He was talking about the PSP Service Tool, not a DATEL Tool Battery, from what i heard it is a device that turns normal batteries into Pandora's and back.

At your 1) and 2), that's not technically true - easy for someone to get their head around, but wrong :/

What the Pandora battery does is redirect boot order, so that the PSP looks to boot firmware from the Memory Card, not the internal Flash. The booted files from the Memory Card install the official 1.50 firmware onto the Flash, "unbricking" the PSP. Modifications can now pretty much install any firmware you want, straight from the Memory Stick, though using the same mechanism.

11. PSPgamen

PSPgamen Regular member

All these results come from the special IPL from the memory stick.

12. luismjr1

luismjr1 Member

wow guys, you really helped me here, i am starting to get the hang of it, thx a lot!!!