1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A New Build Suggestions

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Guyza, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Guyza

Guyza Member

Hi All,

Due to Intel dropping their prices on 22nd July 2007 (which couldnt come sooner) im going to build myself a new computer. What i was hoping to get out of you guys is some suggestions. My thinking on a chip was that im going to either go for Q6600 or the new E6850 (i think thats what they call it they are that many its the one with 1333mhz FSB) one thing is decided on and that the graphics card 8800GTX. Right my budget is going to be £800 - £1000 (Thank God for a credit card!) obviously the cheaper the better! What would be your suggestions on CPU and maybe motherboard or any other advice you can give me! I need this to last me a couple of years like my current one does and still run games as good! Or maybe you may advise me on AMD rather than Intel! Im currently with AMD right now! Any suggestions? and thanks!

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

So you will spend up to about $2000 USD right? Well, if you want the best, then I would go with a:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (235.474 GBP) I dont think AMD has come out with a quad core processor yet, so that's why I'm going with Intel.

ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX (163.568 GBP)

nVidia 8800GTX

Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive (
    101.616 GBP)

Some Corsair RAM. (This is yours to decide, sine the price can go either way. Also, I like Corsair a lot. They make good reliable products that you can overclock.

3. Guyza

Guyza Member

Sounds good so that RAM is recommended if i want to overclock! Well it did cross my mind after reading back in this thread but id only do it slightly wouldnt want to go all out with a water cooler and that! But thanks for those items i will keep those in mind especially that motherboard! Was wondering if there was any cheaper equivilant just incase! As im a tight ass! And thanks!

4. Guyza

Guyza Member

Cheaper motherboard that is sorry should have pointed that out!

5. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

6. Guyza

Guyza Member

No they dont ship to UK but mate you have done me brilliantly I love that motherboard and it will be in my new build! Just wonding how much the Q6600 is going to be after the price drop later on this month! And ive also decided to go with Corsair RAM! Thanks Again!

7. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

8. AXT

AXT Guest

Go with the Q6600=quad core. the ASUS striker cost too much and performs roughly the same as any other 680i motherboard so don't waste your money on it. OR get a P35 motherboard or the more expensive x38 motherboard (not yet released) which has PCIe 2.0 support. Then once again if you do get a x38 board you will need to purchase DDR3 memory which is expensive. So in the end your best bet would probably be a 680i board. Make your you have good ventilation because you can cook an egg on it.
    nVidia 8800GTX is probably the best card so go with that unless something else better comes out by the time you buy it.

RAM is for you to decide.

Hard drive wise i wouldn't waste money on a WD Raptor when you can just set up a hard drive array in RAID 0 configuration. In RAID 0 the hard drives will perform just as good as the WD Raptor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  9. Azrea1

Azrea1 Regular member

ive just started loooking into the quad core/dual core processors, but i think getting a quad core at this point wouldnt be such a good idea, seeing as its not a true quad core, and for the price its not really a gaming rig cpu but more of a server cpu. corret me if im worng... im just gonig by what ive read.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

If you are ok with Crucial, tigerdirect has them on sale for 35 bucks. They are Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC2-8000 1GB. Maybe 1GB is not enough for you. But you can find them here. I just ordered these, hope they turn out to be good!

11. Guyza

Guyza Member

I will also look into crucial aswell! Tiger Direct is a pretty good site but i dont think they deliever to UK oh the joys of being English! (What joys?) Thanks all you guys for your help so far!

12. Guyza

Guyza Member

Right......Ive got the graphics card sorted only thing im mulling over is the motherboard and RAM im sort of swayed towards the ASUS Striker Extreme SLi as i would be wanting to run sli in the future! Was wondering if you know of any other good motherboards supporting ddr2 at 1000ghz if poss or other types of RAM.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

Do you really need SLI? I have always though it was better to stick to ONE GOOD card than two mediocre ones. Remember you wont exactly be getting double the performance either.

14. Guyza

Guyza Member

Yeah i would like the motherboard to be SLI due to the fact that in the future i will add another 8800GTX but that will be in the future like a year and a bits time! Im not too fussed in keeping right up to date with future standings but i would like that option to be in place.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

The striker doesnt overclock too well and I have heard issues of overheating.

16. Guyza

Guyza Member

Right help again! I really cant decide on a motherboard i seem to get it down to 3 evga nforce 680i sli or striker extreme or ASUS P5N32-E SLI (can you confirm this is definitly 680i?) also i would like to know a recommended PSU just to say i wont be running SLI on it