1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A New Newbie

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by gxwarr, Jun 19, 2007.

1. gxwarr

gxwarr Member

I just bought a PSP on Ebay but havent received it yet and dont know the firmware version. Like all new gadgets I buy I have been looking up mods and hacks for it.

I think i have a good understanding of what iso's and homebrew are and how they work, but I do believe some of the info i have read is a bit out dated so I have a few questions.

1) I have read both: If i have firware version 2.01 or higher that i cannot downgrade it, and also that i can. Which is true? And do i still need firmware 1.5 for homebrew apps and ISO's?

2) If i can downgrade any firmware version, are the downgraders on www.psp-hacks.com reliable? I do not want an expensive brick!

3) To play Movie and Game ISO's do I still need firmware 1.5?
    4) To run Homebrew games/apps do I still need firmware 1.5?

5) If i still need firmware 1.5, is it really worth it to not have the latest firmware from Sony?

Thanks to anyone that can answer these questions for me. Like i said i have read alot but im not sure what info is still valid as of 6/19/07.

2. XdogmaX

XdogmaX Member

1: all are downgradeable,u downgrade to 1.5 then upgrade to 3.4 for more options
    2: read the sticky's and yes that site i've had no probs with

3: and 4: you will need to go from factory to 1.50 then upgrade to whatever you wish, higher the upgrade more games and stuff you can run

5: latest firmware you may need to download so you can downgrade properly just need to figure out what version u have

i personally downgraded from 2.71 ta motherboard with no probs but i follow directions to a tee and had many fun nights playing iso's..

3. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

First of all, not all firmwares are downgradable i don't have any idea what he's talking about. You need version 3.03 or lower. Once you are on 1.5 you can update to custom firmware 3.40OE-A which is a mix of version 1.5(homebrew), sony's firmware, and you can run ISO's/backups. And don't update your firmware when you get your PSP no matter what.

4. XdogmaX

XdogmaX Member

sorry dude i was under the impression it was a 2.71 or lower

5. gxwarr

gxwarr Member

Thanks for answering,
    Ok, so as long as its firmware version lower than 3.03 i can downgrade it?

Do i need to get the GTA Downgrade trick?

Ok so my understanding now is i just need to downgrade back to firmware 1.5 then from there i can do custom upgrades and still keep the functionality of 1.5?

This is going to be awesome, ive wanted a PSP for awhile now just didnt get it for some reason. Is there a way to burn ISO's to an actual DVD to use in the PSP or do I have to just copy whatever i need to a memory card everytime i want to play a movie/game/app?

6. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

2.80 - 3.03 reuires the unpatched GTA UMD. 2.71 and below wont need it, if you get a firmware below 2.71, upgrade to 2.71 an use an easy downgrader from psp-hacks.

Yes, going from 1.5 to 3.xx OE retains 1.5 functionality plus a whole lot more, ill let you do the research.

Play iso's off of a dvd??? How do you intend to do that???? Psp uses UMD, you can play iso's using your mem stick or using an app that utilizes a usb connection.

7. gxwarr

gxwarr Member

Thanks for the info, it should definately get me started!

Im new to PSP so im not familiar with the format, but ok, then ill rephrase. I guess you cant burn "UMD" formated disks somehow either? Probably a stupid question but it dont hurt to ask!

If you have to run everything off a memory stick either you need a very large one or several very large ones! Running movies, games, apps, hacks, etc,.. etc.,,, I can imagine takes alot of memory.

Having to load a game and movie on a mem stick, then having to delete to make room and reload others all the time im sure can be a bit tedious, would be great if we could burn UMD format and carry the discs with us. I guess thats the nature of the beast though.

PSP's "UMD" format must have great compression. A regular DVD is about 5gb and you can store a couple movies and other data on a 1gb psp mem stick? Thats incredible!

Well off to read. Thanks for the info!

8. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Dont quote me on this, but I believe a UMD can hold around 1.7-1.8 gigs. Burning UMD's is completely impractible, the hardware required would cost a fortune....I have never even seen said hardware for sale. A 4 gig memory card would be perfect. You can compress both iso's and psx eboot's as well as modify iso's with UMDgen in the name of space savings. It is not hard to do any of these things, just takes a bit of time to learn.

9. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

a umd max capacity is 1.8 gb dual layer