1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A NEWBIES GUIDE TO MX ANDROID

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by piopat, Feb 12, 2015.

1. pitro1234

pitro1234 Newbie

to all who have buffering problems .. 1st clear cache ..also is everyone using wifi or ethernet ? I kno if u use straight ethernet you have little to no problems but wifi yes..did a speed test on both & big difference to 5mps to 30mps.. runs smoother with ethernet.

2. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Pitro ya your right , have my box set up via Ethernet cable and does improve it , having said that runs ok with wifi on the tablet , hisss is your box within reach of your modem if so go the Ethernet route , if it's to far away , should take tongs offer and save yourself a lot of grief , boxes can be a bit of a nightmare when starting off ........
    Paulie57 ...........

3. piopat

piopat Active member

yes with wifi you lose a lot of speed , my speeds using ethernet are about 80 to 90 mb . but if i use wifi the speeds i get drop to about 15 to 20 mb . so where possible use an ethernet cable . that said if you have about 20mb wifi you should be able to watch most content without problems , full 1080 hd will require very fast speeds tho . probably best if using wifi to ensure teh box is no more than 15 to 20 feet away from the router .

its important at all times to watch your memory use and keep it low as possible . ive seen people fill kodi with addons and save everything to favourites and download not to a usb stick or sd card but internally and before you know it the memory is full . clearing the cache wont help then lol , because most of that would come under data , and the only way to free up data memory space is to clear / delete the data . that means you lose everything in kodi , this happens with peoples phones also the data gets full because they take film download apps , take pictures etc etc . so watch your memory usage and in fact make a back up copy of your kodi , if you did have to delete all your data then you could do it and pop in your backup and be back up and running in a short few minutes . as opposed to having to start and load everything again from scratch .

4. hisss

hisss Member

Thanks all for the replies.

Once again I have had zero time to even turn the box on. Must try to make a point of spending some time finding my way around Kodi. I do have the recommended repos/addons on there, just need to learn what to do. Although if it comes to it I may have to take you up on your off tongs lol.

My box runs on WiFi, the router isn't too far from the android box, but will get an Ethernet cable and see what happens.

Don't think I've downloaded or saved anything to favourites, but will have a look.

5. Penners85

Penners85 Newbie

Hi I'm having trouble with downloading off of genesis via kodi. I'm not able to download to the connect hard drive. I've had the box a couple months now and this is the first time it's done it. Any help would be great

6. piopat

piopat Active member

the makers of genesis have changed / updated the addon , and for what ever reason they have removed the download option , maybe they will return it in the next update but they may not . there are other movie addons that you can download from , so maybe try one of those .

7. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

genesis is mainly supported by the latest version of kodi now, maybe dream catcher is too, not been on my box for a while now, but updates sometimes require other addons
    to update too

8. pitro1234

pitro1234 Newbie

Penners85.. also I would recommend using a VPN when downloading any movie

9. piopat

piopat Active member

yes dreamcatcher might work but i know it doesnt work on all addons .

the problem i have with the latest versions of xbmc/ kodi is that some older good addons may not be compatable with it or indeed newer addons not compatable with older versions . one example is the zeus addon , i know people that want this addon but it wont work with the latest kodi so i cant update them to the latest versions .

10. Penners85

Penners85 Newbie

No idea what a VPN is- sorry

11. piopat

piopat Active member

vpn is software you install on your android box which hides your ip address . for example if you are in the uk if you used a vpn you could set it to usa and then in effect your ip address would be american .

i mean if you wanted to say view content on a usa site that was geo locked , that is locked to users with a usa ip only well if you used a vpn you could access that site and the site would think you are in america . or in this case if you downloaded a movie well your ip would be usa not uk or whatever .

another use for vpn is if your internet provider is blocking you accessing certain certain sites or blocking your box accessing them , such as icefilms , well if you have a vpn you can change your ip and access the blocked site .

you can get ok free vpn apps for android on google play store , but you can buy a good one such as hotspot for about £20 a year .

12. Penners85

Penners85 Newbie

Ah ok thanks I'll beat that in mind.

13. swfc123

swfc123 Newbie

First off what a brill forum, now to my problem. I can get 20mb speed wireless but only 6 to 10 when connected via cable. When i plug the cable into my laptop i'm getting over 90mb. Wireless is ok until the kids all go online with the tablets and games so i need it to be connected by Ethernet but dont understand why it is slower than wireless

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  14. chubb10

chubb10 Newbie

My box won't work :S the box is on, the HDMI is connected. Yet all i am seeing is a pretty dim red light. The buttons on the remote don't have any affect on the box and the TV just says no signal. Any help would be great. Thanks

15. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

mx2?

16. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

if its an mx2 and your 100% it isnt the remote then a factory reset MAY help (if it doesnt return box) unplug the mains from back of box> use a match stick or cocktail stick and stick it in the av port (you should feel a button), keep said stick pressed in and button pressed in while attaching power lead, (hard task but do able) keep everything pressed in for around 5 seconds, should now see a android poorly robot with list of options, restore to factory settings is the one you want, if your not getting the recovery menu its pretty much fubar :(

17. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

weird, how many ports do you have on router/hub and how many are spare?

18. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

was also going to say check hdmi lead but if you have a red light and no blue then do as above, have you checked remote with a phone camera?

19. chubb10

chubb10 Newbie

Thankyou for the reply, the box says MX on it. It is a Goopi Tv box. I tried the factory reset but still nothing :( i am unsure what you mean by

20. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

turn your phone camera on, point your mx box remote infrared at your phone camera lens, press buttons on mx remote and look at phone screen, if remote is working you should see white flashes from the infrared