1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A NEWBIES GUIDE TO MX ANDROID

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by piopat, Feb 12, 2015.

1. hisss

hisss Member

Is there a list which gives all the recommended addons/repos?

As piopat has said about not filling the box with addons/ repos you don't really need. I just ideally want the ones that are a must to have

2. swfc123

swfc123 Newbie

4 and tried them all

3. chubb10

chubb10 Newbie

oh cool trick! it turns out the remote does work. I guess i got a faulty box, this is first time i tried to use it :(

4. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

sounds like it unfortunately, return to supplier and get a replacement

5. piopat

piopat Active member

MUSICBOX ADDON

hi guys if you have this addon installed you may be getting a VK.com authorisation failed error , so you may be thinking the addon doesnt work any more . just so you know the addon works fine and very well . if you dont have it installed its a music addon with any artist / group you can think of , its a top addon for excellent free music that you should install .

if you want to install it ill attach the repo file at the bottom of this post . either way if you have it installed or not the same problem exists , but its easy to fix .

the problem is that the addon gets the musoc from a certain internet site called VK.com , you must be a member to get this music . the addon maker inserted his own VK.com login details into the addon to allow all of us to listen , as you can imagine a top addon like this has a lot of users so there will be huge traffic via his VK.com account . so all that is wrong is that either there is to much traffic on the account when you try to use the addon or the site has noticed the traffic and blocked the account in the addon .

dont worry , this is very easily and quickly fixed . go to the following site

Code:
    http://vk.com/join
    i coded the link as i dont want to get in trouble with the admin , admin sorry if the link is not acceptable please feel free to remove it . but its not a satellite site or anything like that .

but all you have to do is join up (its free ) , type in your first and last names , you can use fake details if you wish but its a sort of social network site so you may want to use real details , its up to you but if your only after the great free music fake details will do fine .

enter your sex male / female

then select SIGN UP , now you will be prompted to enter your mobile phone number , so enter your number or any mobile number (it must be a real number ) , then select GET CODE , then on that mobile phone number you will quickly receive a text message with an activation code .

you enter that activation code into the box on the registration screen and thats the final step . if your just after the free music there is no need to go through the profile setting up on that site or anything .

now go to the musicbox addon and try to open it , you will get the error , press return on your remote and page should appear where you can use the onscreen keypad to type in your VK.com login details . when your done select OK and back out , now enter the addon , it may look as tho its not opening again but t will lol . if you dont see this page press what ever button on your remote that gives you the context menu , on an mx 2 its the blue menu button .

now your login details are the phone number you gave preceded by a code such as +246 (this is the uk code ) and then the username you used .

so when you enter your login details into music box addon when you are entering your phone number you must put in the code first ?(the site shows you the code so take note of it ) , so if you are in the uk start with +246 followed by your phone number and then your password after that , if you dont add the code it wont let you log in .

so if you are in the uk you have to have the uk code +246 and then your phone number , as an example if your number 051 222 8080 well you would enter +2460512228080

if you live in ireland the code is +353 plus your phone number , but the site will give you your code so dont worry .

ok guys ? so thats it , its a top music addon and a must have (im currently sitting back listening to the hits of abba with a big smile on my face lol , showing my age lol ) so thats how you get it working . dont worry lol its got thousands and thousands of songs and artists from all decades old and new its not just for us old fogies lol .

another top music addon is mp3 player which you can install from mettlekettle repo .

6. hisss

hisss Member

Has anyone had problems installing dragon streams? I have it on my box, when I click on install from zip file and click on dragon nothing happens.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  7. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

used to have it and it did work mate, probably will install it again tomorrow, as i put a custom build on it but its slowing my box right down, fresh start again :/

8. piopat

piopat Active member

i had it installed but uninstalled it . there are so many addons out there that i wouldnt waste time with a poor one . one of the problems i find is that people put out addons and then dont support them ,also some addons are not in repos so after installing the addon file you may not get updates causing the addon to eventually stop working . such addons require you to find and install the latest version , which may not be released if the addon is not being supported . one of the best addons out there was movie25 , the developer who made it hasnt supported it since last year . i would certainly retry some addons as they may have improved and gotten better as it costs nothing to try them .

people should be aware also that if they have installed the latest kodi or upgraded to it that some older addons wont work in it .

9. hisss

hisss Member

Thanks piopat. I won't bother installing dragon streams then. Just read somewhere that it was a good add-on.

I need to suss out what's worth installing.

Movie25 is installed but I have never tried it. I probably have other addons that no longer work for whatever reason.

10. piopat

piopat Active member

well if you have time and want to test addons there is nothing wrong with that , personally tho i tried the addon and i uninstalled it as i felt it wasnt up to the standard of other addons i had . but some addons can start poorish and then get much better , so in that sense i suppose its worth keeping tabs on the addons doing the rounds and if you find that people are using it maybe its then worth having another look .

movies25 for me was one of the top movie and tv show addons but the developer who made it hasnt supported it in maybe a year , so its now not working . which is a shame . what annoys me more about it is that there are any number of developers that could sort out a fix but there is a sort of protocol that says one dev doesnt touch another devs addon , which means a good addon doesnt get fixed , i dont see the sense in it .

ive just recently updated all my addons , that is looking for updates or removing addons that i cant get fixes for , non working addons just take up memory space .

11. hisss

hisss Member

Thanks piopat.

Problem I'm finding as a newbie is there is nowhere that lists addons/repos that work or don't. Many of the tutorials tell you how to install addons/repos, but I guess some tutorials are out of date.

It would be great if there was a list of good/bad/unsupported addons.

12. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

They come and go mate. And people use different versions of kodi so one add on maywwork on helix and not on other builds.The llist would be endless. The only one that never let's me down is genesis absolutely great for movies, TV shows and boxsets. Never really found a reliable live TV stream as there always buffering if many people on that stream but I have my sat box for that. Welcome to the world of kodi :p:mad:;)

13. hisss

hisss Member

I didn't realise you have the option to use different versions on the same box.

14. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

yeah of course you can but id delete the previous version

15. piopat

piopat Active member

yes you can use kodi and xbmc at the same time , or kodi and tvmc . they are all effectively the same thing but witb different names , thats how you can use 2 or more versions at the same time . obviously you cant use two versions of kodi as one will over write the other .

16. hisss

hisss Member

Thanks piopat and tongs007.

When I get a bit more confident I'll have a look. Currently mine is running on helix.

17. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

i took the custom build off and put isengard on, nothing different really so if helix is working for you then just leave it be bud

18. liverbird9

liverbird9 Newbie

hi im having problems updating dk-xbmc-repaddon add-on resporitory addon,everytime i try it wont do it ,so is it because im on bt broadband and they are not letting me? new to this so any help would be greatfull

19. Be2be

Be2be Newbie

I wonder if you can help. I've searched and spent a stupid amount of time trying make this work to no avail. I find others asking the same question but they never seem to get answered.
    I am trying to upgrade KODI to Isengard. I downloaded it but I could never run it because I got a message saying there was a conflicting file. So I deleted the downloads and was following steps to add SuperRepo. When I complete steps and hot OK, I get an error message saying:

Could not retrieve directory information. This could be due to the network not being connected. Would you like to add it anyway?

I don't know what this means or how to fix it. My network is up and connected. What am I supposed to make of this? I can't find help anywhere. All the tutorials are only good if everything is working perfectly. There's no troubleshooting. Can you please advise?

20. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

you are either not connected to the internet/super repo is down or you have mistyped the web address