1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A NEWBIES GUIDE TO MX ANDROID

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by piopat, Feb 12, 2015.

1. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

Hi all , ,I have a clone mx running matricom 1.2 firmware and 14.2 kodi , when I tried to update kodi it failed , turns out the matricom firmware I have doesn't support kodi 15 so would any of you know of a firmware I could use to update kodi ? Cheers !

2. Testubeuk

Testubeuk Newbie

Hi I have just bought a MX box and I'm having some problems. I have had kodi and xbmc for many years on different devices and never had a problem but can't work this one out. The playback on HD movies on isengard are really jerky in fact it's not watchable. They work fine on tvmc so can't work out why this is happening. The build on the box is from November 2013 and is running 4.2.2 so I was wondering is this a firmware issue. If it is could somebody point me in the right direction to get the latest one. As I say I'm new to this box so I wasn't sure if there are specific builds I should be getting as I'm just getting kodi from the play store and its useless. I like messing about with the latest community builds etc but can't do anything as its working like crap even on basic kodi. Is this a hardware issue with the box just being underpowered or is there some way of fixing it. Thanks in advance for any reply and sorry if this has been asked before in the thread but I couldn't find the answer.

3. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

@Testubeuk : if you go to settings / about phone it will give you the exact model and firmware you have , you may be able to get ota ( over the air ) and update your firmware if it's supported, if not then you may have to put new firmware in by toothpick method , if you have to do that then it's a case of finding a firmware to suit also find out if it's a clone or not

4. Testubeuk

Testubeuk Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'm at work so will have a look when I get home. OTA update is not working so I guess its no longer supported. If I put the info on later could you point me in the right direction what firmware I need and where to get it just looked at a few things and can't seem to find latest firmware. Could you tell me how I find out if its a clone or not. Thanks again for the help.

5. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

Usually if you buy a box from a Chinese website it could be a clone or how much you paid and it depends on which model you have on telling the difference ( ethernet port may be upside down compared to original ) . I know with my mx2 clone it can take official matricom firmware so it may not make a difference, better to be sure !

6. Testubeuk

Testubeuk Newbie

I wouldn't know mate I bought it second hand so God knows where they got it from but I'm guessing they had it for a while. If I post firmware version etc in a bit I hope one of the guru's here can help me out :)

7. Testubeuk

Testubeuk Newbie

Okay model number is g18ref android version 4.2.2 kernal version 3.0.50 build number jdq39.20131122. If anybody could tell me where to get new firmware I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

8. Testubeuk

Testubeuk Newbie

It's okay found the answer on matricom website. Need KitKat 4.4 for isengard to run hd video and I'm only on 4.2.2 so unless somebody can tell me how and where to get 4.4 looks like the box will soon be obsolete with official kodi builds.

9. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

There could be an option going Linux route maybe open elec ?

10. Testubeuk

Testubeuk Newbie

It's okay I have found a workaround. You just need to change a few permissions cause isengard doesn't give permission for the MX box graphics hardware to work so will only work on software acceleration that's why it stutters. I have only had the box a couple of days but its never took so much effort to get something like this to work but all working as it should now got isengard with beast build on working fine.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  11. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

Good stuff ! Any chance of a tut on how you did this ?

12. Testubeuk

Testubeuk Newbie

First make sure the box is rooted.

Next make sure you have a decent file manager like ES File Explorer installed.

Next go to the Play Store and install Universal init.d

Next open Universal init.d and find the script called 00Start.

Delete everything in it and replace it with this:

#!/system/bin/sh
    chmod 666 /sys/class/display/mode
    chmod 666 /dev/amvideo
    chmod 666 /dev/amstream*
    chmod 666 /sys/class/video/axis
    chmod 666 /sys/class/video/screen_mode
    chmod 666 /sys/class/video/disable_video
    chmod 666 /sys/class/tsync/pts_pcrscr
    chmod 666 /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_raw
    chmod 666 /sys/class/ppmgr/ppmgr_3d_mode
    chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    chmod 666 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

and save it.

Next make sure that Universal init.d switch is set to on.

Open ES File Explorer and navigate to \etc\init.d

Check the properties of 00Start and if it does not have execute permissions (rwx), long press on it and select Properties from the menu and make sure Execute checkbox is checked as well as Read and Write.

Reboot the machine.

Open ES File Explorer and navigate to \sys\class\display and verify that permissions on the \sys\class\display\mode file are: rw rw rw. If they are rw rw r then something has gone wrong and Universal init.d didn't work properly.

If permissions are rw rw rw then it worked and you should be able to run HD on Kodi 15 with no stuttering.

Have a go it worked for me.

atghawkin likes this.
  13. Testubeuk

Testubeuk Newbie

The lad that wrote the tutorial was on firmware 1.2.2 but reports say it works on 1.2 as well.

14. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

@Testubeuk ,thanks very much I will have a go at some stage ! I am in fact on 1.2.2 firmware so all should go well

15. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

@Testubeuk : I have followed the steps as far as " check properties of 00Startx" which button do I press to see properties ?

16. Testubeuk

Testubeuk Newbie

Long press on 00startx and it should come up with option to check properties in menu.

17. babie2284

babie2284 Newbie

I have an android mbox and the other day my dog hit the power bar and it turned off. When I turned it back on everything was wiped except for the preloaded apps. The browser will not work. It is just a blank screen so I can't redownload the apps. Anyone have suggestions to fix this. Thanks!

18. tas1235

tas1235 Newbie

hi i have installed genesis and it loads i click to watch i can hear it but the screen is blank no video show , can anyone tell me why this is .thanks in advance

19. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

@tas1235. In kodi go to : system / video/ ( make sure you have settings level set to advanced or expert at the bottom of the screen ).acceleration , in here take note of what is "on" and then change it so that only " allow hardware acceleration (libstagefright) " is on , can't guarantee it will work but worth a go if it doesn't then put settings back to were earlier

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  20. tas1235

tas1235 Newbie

thanks alot works fine now your a good un :D