1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A NEWBIES GUIDE TO MX ANDROID

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by piopat, Feb 12, 2015.

1. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Ya probly config issue , happy viewing cheers lol ......

2. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Melody1 likes this.
  3. piopat

piopat Active member

can you be a bit more specific , what exactly do the app icons say and where exactly do you see them . also why do you want to remove them ? .

4. piopat

piopat Active member

this is an issue related to codecs , you have audio and video codecs in your box that allow you to view and hear content . if codecs are inactive when they should be active you will have a problem such as you are having now , likewise depending on the version of kodi you can have the same problem if codecs are active .

on older versions of kodi all 3 codecs would be set to active by default , and there really wasnt a problem and you could view fine , however if you de activated these codecs you could end up with audio but no picture . for some reason the codecs in some newer versions of kodi seem to work backwards , meaning when they are all active you get audio but no video .

so you need to open kodi , then select SYSTEM , then select SETTINGS , then select VIDEO .now on the left side of screen you will see several options however there is one there that is not yet visible , its called ACCELERATION . so what we need to do is make that option visible .

so go down to the bottom left side of the screen where it says SETTINGS LEVEL and highlight it , it likely says BASIC , but what ever it says press ok button several times untill it says ADVANCED , now if you look the acceleration option should have appeared . if it did go to it and highlight it .

now you will see several options to the right of acceleration . press the right button to move over to the right side of screen .now go to and highlight DECODING METHOD , that will say either hardware accelerated or software . and below that there will be 3 codecs

amcodec
    libstagefright
    mediacodec

now if all 3 are active the little circle to the right of each codec will be blue , if they are all inactive they will be grey .

so what you need to do is this , if decoding method says hardware accelerated (with decoding method highlighted) press ok and it will change to software , if decoding method is software press ok to change it hardware accelerated . very simply you just want the opposite of what you have , so if all codecs are active you need to deactivate them and vice versa . then video will return .

5. piopat

piopat Active member

ah can see why you want to remove these icons or atleast one of them as its a sort of adult icon . if its a non standard android app you should be able to delete it . hen i say non standard i mean not built into the android firmware as in from the factory , i would say its not based on all the boxes ive seen .

so with that in mind in your android apps you should have an app called SETTINGS or settingsmbox or similar . if so open that .

now settings and settings mbox are a tad different . settings usually brings you straight into the android settings , where as settings mbox shows you an additional screen containing internet options such as wifi or ethernet connection .

so if you just have settings and you go straight to the android settings menu scroll down to APPS . if you only have settings mbox go to OTHER , then go to MORE SETTINGS . you should now be on the android settings menu . as above scroll down to APPS and then press ok .

on the right of screen you will then see a list of installed android apps , press the right button to move over to the right side of screen . now scroll up or down the list of apps and see if you can see the two offending apps . if you can see them go to and highlight the first one and then press ok , now you will be back on the left of screen and new options will have appeared on the right . press the right button and move over to the right side of screen . if you look there should be an uninstall (or a disable option ) , if you see uninstall select it , you may be asked if you are sure , if you are say yes and uninstall it . if you don have an uninstall option and only a disable option all you can do is select disable . the icon may remain but the app should be disabled and not usable .

do likewise for the second app .

6. Melody1

Melody1 Member

Thanks very much Paulie for the Alpha add-on. Yes, i'll surely enjoy this after seeing the Youtube video! I had already installed Lilly sports (on it's own) but after a week it stopped working. I appreciate it lots - much obliged Paulie!

7. Sivvy

Sivvy Newbie

Thank you for your instructions Piopat,
    Firstly i tried the Setting mbox found the app Cloud TV with the disable option, that is gone from the homescreen.

The other adult icon came on the homescreen after watching a Thailand movie in Youtube. I could not find this in both Settings as i assume its a popup and when clicked on opens only a URL address in google page.

Im not quite sure if your first option in Acceleration will delete this icon.

8. piopat

piopat Active member

hi sivvy well if the adult icon is not listed in the list of apps that probably means its just really a shortcut . the process to remove this may be different on all android boxes or it it may be similar , also its good to remember that the menus and certain options in android boxes is the same as android phones .

what may work is if you go to the icon in question and highlight it and then press ok and keep pressing , this is called long pressing . A long press brings up (should bring up ) a white box onscreen just inside the window with a red cross and 'remove'. Clicking on this deletes it.

i cant promise this will work for you but its worth trying . another option that may work , is if you go to the icon and highlight it , then press menu button , maybe then an option or options will appear to delete / uninstall or disable .

sorry sivvy my post about acceleration was intended for another person called alyem . that pst is about how to fix a problem of having audio but no picture .

9. Sivvy

Sivvy Newbie

Yes understood your options Piopat and tried them to no avail. and thank you for advice.
    I even found Google history and deleted it but icon still there.
    I considered to go in Settings and click factory data reset, in which i had to reinstall Kodi.
    BINGO haha, the icon is gone.
    BUT i notice my Kodi icon is missing from the bottom of the homescreen taskbar. There was 8 icons.
    Is there a way of adding this Kodi icon back?

Attached Files:

10. piopat

piopat Active member

hi sivvy yes factory reset would delete the icon but would also sadly delete any app that was installed by you or by the box supplier . most stuff on your box will be installed at the factory , so when you do a factory reset your box will return to its condition when it left the factory . and as such most apps will still be installed after a factory reset .

however the factory that makes these boxes dont install kodi , kodi would be installed by who ever sold you the box or by you . so a factory reset will of course remove kodi and any app installed by you or by the box supplier , but it wont remove apps that are installed at the factory .

so now you have to reinstall kodi and then re install addons and from what you say i dont think you have experience with this , this is why i never mentioned factory reset as an option .

ok i dont know what model of android box you have , the kodi side of any box is the same really but menus etc on different models of boxes will be different , so in that sense its a little difficult to give instructions but i will try .

first you need of course a new version of kodi to install in your box , and you need a method to install it . i would say the easiest way is by using a usb memory stick .

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/

from the link above download the version of kodi that is number 3 from the top . the reason i say use the the number option is because the two options above are new or newer , and new versions can have little problems , so i never recommend to use the very latest version , a recent version will do . so download the version i mention to your computer .

then insert a usb stick into your computer . now go to downloads and find the kodi file that you just downloaded . place your cursor on the file and click one time , this will highlight the file , now with the cursor still on the file you need to right click . right click means to press the right button on your mouse , then options will appear , and one option should be SEND TO , if you select that option you should see various locations where you can send this file . you need to send it to your usb stick , your computer will usually call usb sticks E: or F: etc or it may say the name of the usb stick . what ever it says select that option and kodi will go to your usb stick .

when that is done remove the usb stick from your computer and insert it into any usb connection on your android box .
    now i dont know the look or layout of the menus in your box , so all i can say is go to where all your main apps are located , then look for an app called FILE BROWSER . when you see that open it . now you may have to use your cursor for this briefly , you may not but you may have to .

inside file browser at the top of the screen are several little icons and the first one is a little house . now you need to select that , you can try your up/down and left/right buttons as they may get you up there to the house icon and then press ok button , if not switch on the cursor , there should be a cursor button on your remote control , then move the cursor using the up/down and right / left buttons and move it to the house icon and hen press ok .

now what should have happened below the icons is that you will see several options . one option should be your usb stick . now android boxes dont call usb sticks E: or F: etc as a computer does , my box calls my stick sba1 so look for something similar and then select it . you will know if you selected the correct option as kodi should be listed .

if you see kodi listed go to it and select it and it should start the install process . now you will see a install option screen appear , you may have to use your down button to go down to the bottom right of the screen where you should see an option INSTALL or similar , if you see it select it and kodi will start installing . this is a short process and only takes a short while , when its complete exit from all these menus and go back to where all your apps are , now kodi should be back . or you may only have a small selection of icons available and also a + icon , if that is the case select the +icon and then you will see a list of all your apps , uses your up/down and left /right buttons to go through the list and find kodi , and when you see kodi select it , a little tick should appear on the kodi icon when you select it , thats it , now exit back to where you have the small selection of icons and all being well kodi icon should be there .

the next part is install addons , but for the moment work on the above instructions and install kodi . then i will instruct you on how to install addons .

Sivvy and Melody1 like this.
  11. Sivvy

Sivvy Newbie

hi piopat, absolutely clear instructions i followed from you, thank you.
    Im using a M8 OTT TV BOX

The only thing i did notice was when i installed the new kodi, it asked which launcher to use.
    Launcher or Mediabox Launcher.

Mediabox launcher i clicked on and this i assume is where you mention you can tick +icon for kodi which i did and when you return to the homescreen the icon is there. Great.

But i usually use Launcher and this has still no kodi icon on the bottom of the homescreen, only when you click on the middle icon which shows apps and widgets, kodi is there.

12. piopat

piopat Active member

hi sivvy the launchers are just two different ways to get to your android apps , and they have a bit of a different look and layout as you probably have noticed . on my box if i choose one launcher i get a selection of pictures , and i can move left or right , one picture shows a sort of green android and i select that and it shows me all my android apps .and they go from the top of my screen to the bottom .

the other launcher only shows me a few icons , one of these icons sort of near the bottom center of screen has several dots on it , when i select that i see all my android apps . the difference here is that with these apps you get so many , and then you have to press the left / right buttons to go to the next page of app icons .

now either way kodi if installed and you say it is should be there .

now some boxes are different , they show a sort of big icon with xbmc on it (thats the old name for kodi ) and then about 8 small app icons followed by a + sign . now if you have that if you select the xbmc icon all being well it will open and show kodi . if not select the + icon and look in the list of icons for kodi and select it by pressing ok on it . i have to go to work now bu ill be back at 6pm or so .

Melody1 likes this.
  13. piopat

piopat Active member

ok sivvy so assuming kodi is installed and all is well , lets install some addons .

now the best way to install an addon or addons is from what is called a repo , thats short for repository , which simply means a place where files / addons are stored . this is a location on the internet . repos can come in the form of a file , they can also come in the form of a link / url . if you use repos that come in the form of a link / url then then you can simply type in the link into kodi , i mean rather that having to use a usb stick to download the file and then install .

so a repo contains addons . but there are a few special repos , but they dont contain addons , they contain lots of other repos . its sort of a one stop shop for repos , so instead of having to look for and then install lots of repos you install a special repo called fusion . once installed you can select from a list of good repos , install the repos you like and then when the repo (or repos ) is installed you open it and select the addons you would like to install .

i hope that all makes sense sivvy .

ok so lets install fusion repo , and that will give you access to quite a few quality repos with great addons .

ok so open kodi . now as you have just installed it well it should be the standard kodi look and layout , so you should see PICTURES , VIDEOS , PROGRAMS , SYSTEM . this is what i call the main kodi screen .

what i need you to do is go to SYSTEM , use your right/left buttons to do that , most functions in kodi use the up/down and left / right buttons so be ready to use them here .

now when you are on SYSTEM , use your down button and go to and select FILE MANAGER . now you will see two boxes A and B , it doesnt really matter what box you use but i usually use A . so in box A you should see ADD SOURCE.
    select that by going to it and pressing ok , then a box will appear and the word NONE should be there highlighted in blue , if so press ok button . now the onscreen keypad will appear , the keypad can vary a little from older versions of kodi to new ones . on older versions you only had 1 to 9 and a to z , but on the new versions you get important characters like / or . or : , what im saying is that all of those important things may be on the onscreen pad as you look at it . but if not dont worry just look to the left of the keypad and you will see 5 or 6 options , one has a @# etc on it , so if you are typing a repo link and you need a special character and its not in front of you select the @# option and everything you need will be there . to return to the regular numbers and letters select the same @# .

ok so you have the onscreen pad in front of you so its time to type in a repo link , and here it is
    http://fusion.tvaddons.ag

type the above link into the keypad exactly as it is above . when its typed just double check it for accuracy , if its ok select DONE . now you will be back to where you were previously where NONE was highlighted in blue , that probably now says the link you just typed in . next press your down button and go down a bit to where it says ENTER A NAME FOR THIS MEDIA SOURCE , below that is a long thin box , highlight the box in blue by going to it , and then press ok . now the keypad will appear again , all repo links must have a name , its just so that you can find them later , so here you type in FUSION . when you are finished typing select DONE , now press your don button again and go down to OK and highlight it and press OK button .

now thats how you install a repo link , so you can add any repo link this way . but there is a further step to go .

so now exit back a little and go back to SYSTEM , now go down to and select SETTINGS , next go down to and select ADDONS , now go down to and select INSTALL FROM ZIP FILE , a box will now appear with some files in it , and all being well fusion should be there . go to it , highlight it and press ok , now you will see 3 options
    start here
    xbmc repos
    xbmc scripts

go to and select XBMC REPOS

next you will see a few more options , they should be self explanatory . for english repos select ENGLISH , if you want international repos select INTERNATIONAL . for this guide select ENGLISH .

now you should see a large list of repos , each of these contains addons , you dont have to install them all , but you can install the ones you want or ones you would like to look in . any repo you install can be easily uninstalled so dont worry .

ok so for this guide we will install metalkettle repo (this is one of the most popular repos ) . so go down the list of repos untill you see
    REPOSITORY_METALKETTLE

when you see it highlight it and then press ok . the repo then should (all being well ) install and it only takes seconds .

that is the full process of installing repos from fusion .

now the repo is installed , we will look inside it and install one or two addons . so you should be where it says INSTALL FROM ZIP FILE , if you are not exit back a little bit to that point . now just above where it says install from zip file it should say install from repository (older versions of kodi say get addons ) , as yours is the latest version of kodi it should say install from repository , so which ever you have go to it and select it .

now the repo will be opened and you will see some options such as music addons , program addons , video addons , what these options are for is so that if you want to install music addons you select music addons and if you want movie or tv show stuff etc that you select video addons . so select VIDEO ADDONS . now you will see all the video addons in that repository , you will see cartoons for the kids , documentaries and movies etc . towards the end you will see uktv now addon , this contains all the major sky channels , so you should consider installing that . but for this guide go down to and select UKTURKS ADDON , it will start to install , it may say WORKING on screen and you may see a percentage figure , but it usually just takes a few seconds . then all being well to the right of the addon name it will say ENABLED , that means the addon is installed . so now you know how to install an addon from a repo .

now just to check , exit back out of these menus and go back to the main kodi screen , then go to VIDEOS , then go down to ADD ONS , now all being well you should see ukturks addon listed , so you can open it , its got about 15 options , and each option is a little different , some contain movies , some contain tv shows , some contain tv channels and so on , its a top addon and im sure you will enjoy it .

now use the above instructions to go to metal kettle repo and install more addons that you like , any addons you dont like can be uninstalled easily so dont worry .

also use the above instructions to install some more repos from fusion . some top repos are

repository_entertainmentrepobackup
    repository_mdrepo
    repository_tknorris
    repository_xbmchub

those 4 and metal kettle should do you for a bit . so install the repos from fusion and then install addons that you think you might like .

if you have any questions just ask .

Sivvy and Melody1 like this.
  14. Sivvy

Sivvy Newbie

Yes well with my box there is no sign of xbmc, so assume this is a newer one.
    The launcher that i use as you see in the image that i uploaded May 24 i did have 8 icons, now that i have reinstalled the new kodi i have 7 icons (image on 22 June).
    Though its all good, i just have to get the hang of it by going into the next page with apps and widgets to click on the kodi icon home page to open.

Melody1 likes this.
  15. Sivvy

Sivvy Newbie

well piopat what can i say, i followed your instructions and everything yousaid i followed and just all fell into place..
    Great addons and programs.
    Your so knowledgeable and i really appreciate your help. If i could buy you a beer or two i would.
    cheers and thank you.

16. piopat

piopat Active member

what you could do if you want but its a bit of trouble , is factory reset again . then use the other launcher that you prefer . that way you have the icons etc the way you like them . then re install kodi , and install the repos and addons as i described above . but if your happy enough the way things are then theres no need .

when i say xbmc , i mean that on some boxes they give you a sort of big xbmc icon . this icon is sort of always there even if you uninstall kodi , but if kodi is installed you would select the big xbmc icon and kodi would open . if kodi is not installed and you selected the big xbmc icon it simply wouldnt open . and even tho you could have say the latest version kodi installed the big icon will still say xbmc not kodi , but its just an icon or in other words its a short cut .

but clearly you dont have this on your box so it doesnt matter . its just that if i dont know exactly what a person has on their box i like to try to cover all bases , so thats why i mention all these different things , because if i mention three things odds are one will apply to your box . but also other people will be reading this stuff so one of the options will apply to and help them .

Melody1 likes this.
  17. difusion99

difusion99 Newbie

Hi all
    New to the forum I have mxq I pro S905 1Gb ram 16Gb hard disk with android 5.1.1. Everything else ok but one thing I can't do is scroll chrome pages with remote up down keys don't work. Press mouse icon on remote scroll down to bottom page and stops there won't go any further. Tried to Google it but can't find anything on it.

So how do I scroll in Google ease with remote.
    Any help appreciated

Thanks
    Difusion

18. piopat

piopat Active member

hi mate the regular remote with cursor really only allow you to do so much . they are fine in and around kodi and also in some android apps .

however some android apps require more use of a mouse that your regular remote and cursor arent equipped for . to be able to move around internet pages on chrome or facebook or other android apps you have a few options .

one is to buy a wifi remote control , these are not the same as your regular remote . for example mine has two sides to it , one side is a regular remote for the box , but the other side has a keypad on it for typing , and its got similar mouse functions to a real mouse so you can get around internet pages easier .

a second option is to get a regular computer usb mouse , plug it into any of the usb connections on the box and then you can get around the web pages etc as easily as you would on a computer . of course this method requires you to be close to the box , unless you use a wifi mouse .

19. Uparoundthebend

Uparoundthebend Member

ive been trying to find lion king 3 to watch on kodi but cant find it, weve watched 1+2 on exodus but 3 wont open a stream. ive tried salts and that's the same,it finds it but then says stream not available. seeing as salts is like a search engine for streams and it cant find a copy, is it worth trawling through every addon (some addons the search doesn't seem to work so you have to trawl through every page of films) or if salts cant find it does that mean its not available? thanks.

20. piopat

piopat Active member

some times with these addons finding a movie or tv show or not can come down to a mis spelling or as i found using lower case instead of capitals . for example a mate of mine wanted to watch alf from the 80s , its about a loveable but a bit of a rogue of an alien . well i typed in alf in lots of addons and nothing popped up , so my mate was saying ah well its not there so . then i thought i will type in capitals , so i put in ALF instead of alf , and up popped 3 seasons of alf . so you see something like this can stop you finding something .

so you could perhaps try typing LIONKING as opposed to lionking or try typing in THE LIONKING .

is there a part 3 ? like you im thinking there was but i just checked and i can see the lionking 1994 , the lionking 2 simbas pride 1994 , The Lion King 1½ , the lion guard return to roar 2015 .

actually on checking The Lion King 1½ is the lionking 3 , im not sure why its called that , the proper name is The Lion King 3: Hakuna Matata from what i can see . part 3 is a direct to dvd movie so maybe thats why some sites dont have it ? but i dont know . maybe try searching the full name Lion King 3: Hakuna Matata , some times if you dont type enough of the name or all of the name a search can fail .