1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A NEWBIES GUIDE TO MX ANDROID

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by piopat, Feb 12, 2015.

1. R72

R72 Newbie

Hi all new here,

I've followed the instructions as I had to install Kodi following a complete reset. When I install Kodi I don't get the same screen as described. My screen shows a dude in a space suit and on the right hand side a box with "recent episodes" the the bar at the bottom....TV shows: 0| episodes: 0| unwatched: 0......then below that movies TV shows kids...

Where am I going wrong?
    Thanks

Edit: Just realised I was downloading the wrong file

Yours truly

Numb Nuts

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    tongs007 likes this.
  2. difusion99

difusion99 Newbie

Hi poppet
    Thanks for the info I ordered a minimum I keyboard with trackpad.

Also having another issue I can't backup my system on usb stick formatted to fat 32 it's an 8GB verbatim usb stick I use sd to usb wizard keep getting error and check log. Tried a SanDisk 32GB usb stick still same. I also installed another backup addon from addins installer and same problem.

Any ideas why it won't backup.

Thanks
    Eggie

3. piopat

piopat Active member

hi did you tell the usb-sdcard wizard addon where to save your backup ? . obviously it will be on your 8gb usb stick , but the usb-sdcard addon wont know that , you have to tel it .

open kodi , go to PROGRAMS , then go to PROGRAM ADDONS . usb-sdcard wizard addon should be listed . go to it and highlight it DONT OPEN IT .

with the addon highlighted press the menu button or what ever button you usually press to bring up the context menu . then options will appear , select ADDON SETTINGS . now you are going to see ZIP FOLDER highlighted in blue , and below that it will say CHOOSE USB/SDCARD DESTINATION , use your down button and go down to that and highlight it , and then press ok . now you should see varios things such as ZERO CONF BROWSER , ROOT FILE SYSTEM , EXTERNAL STORAGE etc etc , and you should see an option like sda1 , sda1 is what my box calls the usb stick , if you were using an sd card it may call it something different , but for a usb stick the box calls mine sda1 .

so if you see that go to it and and highlight it , then press your right button and go over to the right side of screen where it says OK and select that option . now you should be back on the first screen you saw , now press your down button and go down to OK and select that to save your work . now you should have exited the addon settings and the addon should be in front of you , now you can open the addon .

you will see BACKUP and also RESTORE , if you select backup you will see various options such as FULL BACKUP , if you want to save everything , settings and addons etc etc you select FULL BACKUP . and the backup process will start , how quick this process is depends on how much you have inside your kodi , but even if its quite full it should only take several minutes .

if you want to use your backup on other boxes insert the usb stick with the backup on it into the box in question . you will of course have to install the USB-SDCARD ADDON WIZARD in any box that you wish to install your back up in ,and you will have to tell the addon to look in the usb stick as you did above via addon settings .

once thats done open the addon and select RESTORE , and then select FULL RESTORE , it shouldnt really take any long restoring a backup than it does to make it . after the backup is sent to the new box i would say to restart kodi , then the kodi in the new box should be exactly the same as the kodi in your box . .

there is one thing tho . some addons especially newer ones may not work on certain older versions of kodi , they may be designed to work on newer kodi versions . so you need to bear that in mind , so if a box that you want to put your backup on has an old kodi version in it well maybe its best to remove it and install the same version you are using or the latest version . that way you shouldnt have any problems with addons not being incompatable .

4. piopat

piopat Active member

hi yes you seem to have installed a ready made kodi with stuff already installed , a sort of backup copy . nothing wrong with that if everything works but personally i think its best to make your own kodi setup , that way as you set all settings and added all addons if something is wrong you should be in a better position to find whats wrong and fix it , also it helps people learn about kodi .

the space picture you are seeing is just whats called a skin , you can change the skin in kodi easily enough . this gives your kodi a different look and a slightly different layout .

5. difusion99

difusion99 Newbie

6. R72

R72 Newbie

Thanks pipat, I'm looking for an addon to watch Arabic channels (well for the wife as I don't speak arabic lol) in particular a channel called 2M. Any advice on this please?

I wouldn't mind one to watch some sport too (football)

7. piopat

piopat Active member

well i dont have your model of box so cant really say if the addon doesnt work in some models of boxes . but it works fine in my mx2 with jarvis . now some devs (developers ) are making addons work with the newer versions of kodi ,and so when that happens certain addons may not work on older kodi versions . so it maybe just that the usb-sdcard addon needs a newer version of kodi than you have , but i dont know that for certain .

you can upgrade your version of kodi to jarvis without losing your addons however you would need to use es file browser .

8. piopat

piopat Active member

hi if you install fusion repo it will give you arabic content . repos usually contain addons but fusion is a repo full of other repos , so by installing fusion you ca easily install multiple repos and many addons from those repos . fusion has both english and international repos including arabic . also it has many addons that have great sports .

here is the fusion repo
    http://fusion.tvaddons.ag

if you dont know how to install fusion or install repos from it let me know .

9. R72

R72 Newbie

I did install fusion but I think I've done something wrong as I keep getting error check the log for more information

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  10. difusion99

difusion99 Newbie

Hi pilot
    How do I upgrade to jarvis without losing addons. I have a excellent version of a file Explorer a paid version called root Explorer which I will install from my apps on play store.

Do I download jarvis as a zip file and use exonerated to install it. Which directory will my download go to please so I can look for it to install. As you say by installing jarvis I won't lose my addons as I have loads of addons .

Thanks
    Difusion

11. piopat

piopat Active member

you got that error when you tried to install the fusion link above ? . is your box connected to the internet ? it cant install a repo link or anything from that link if its got no internet .

12. piopat

piopat Active member

hi difusion if you are familiar with the file explorer you have installed and if it does what we need to do thats fine . but if not file manager may work but certainly es file explorer works , and as far as i know both are free in the playstore .

regarding kodi i usually download the new version of kodi on a usb stick , have the stick in the box and i use file browser or file manager to install it . you can of course use the browser on the box to search the net and then download .

now here are instructions to install the latest kodi version while keeping all your addons , PLEASE READ THIS FIRST BEFORE YOU INSTALL .

the best way to update kodi , while keeping your addons is this .

now if you have file manager (not file browser) in your apps you can use that , if not you can use es file browser .

open es file browser and go to TOOLS which is down along the left side of screen , open tools . now go down the list of options to SHOW HIDDEN FILES , and set this to on .

you see your box hides certain files so they cant be deleted by mistake . regular file browser cant show you these files and thats sadly why its no good .

ok now on the right of screen there will be folders , one is called ANDROID , go to that and open it . then open DATA , then go to ORG.XBMC.KODI , dont open it just go to it , then with the file highlighted press ok for several seconds untill a little tick appears on the file .

when you see the little tick look on the bottom of screen you should see several options and RENAME is one of them , so select RENAME , then rename the file , keep it simple such as AAA . but something you will remember .

the file you are renaming contains all your kodi addons and settings , so we are renaming it so that it wont be deleted when we uninstall kodi . if you dont rename and you uninstall kodi well the org.abmc.kodi file will also be deleted , so changing the name stops it being deleted . we will be putting the proper name back shortly . so you have renamed the file .

now exit from es file explorer and go to settings app , and go to APPS and press ok . all your apps will appear to the right of screen , press your right button to go over there and go to and highlight kodi and press ok . now you should see an uninstall option near the top right , select uninstall . after a few seconds your old kodi will be gone , but your org.xbmc.kodi file will remain as its been renamed .now exit settings and go back to your apps , kodi will no longer be listed .

now download kodi jarvis 16.1 to a usb stick , and insert the stick in the box or download it from your box web browser . now open file browser (or file manager if you use that usually for installing apps ) , i use file browser so i will use that app for this guide .

if you have the latest kodi version on a usb stick thats inserted in your box open file browser , you will see multiple icons across the top of the screen , the first one is a house , select that either by going to it or by using your cursor . then you should see something like this
    local disk
    external storage card
    usbA

or your box may not say usb , it may say sba1 or similar . what ever it says select it and open it . now go to the new version of kodi that you downloaded and select it to install it . if you are asked are you sure say yes , and let it install .

if you downloaded kodi via the box web browser open file manager or what ever file app you are using and go to downloads and select kodi to install it . when thats done exit the file browser app and go back to where all your apps are .

now you will have the latest kodi jarvis 16.1 on your box , DONT OPEN IT LEAVE IT CLOSED .

now open es file browser again and as you did above open the ANDROID FOLDER , then open DATA , and then go to the AAA file (or what ever you called the file ) and highlight the file and press ok untill a little tick appears on it , now go down to the bottom of the screen and click RENAME . now rename the file org.xbmx.kodi

now if you followed my above instructions to a tee you can exit es file explorer , NOW YOU CAN OPEN KODI . and it should be updated to jarvis 16.1 and all your addons and settings should be there for you to enjoy .

13. R72

R72 Newbie

It's connected and I can access some channels but no the arabic ones

14. greychen

greychen Newbie

Someone pls help me with this problem. I have an mx3 android quad core box (bought a year ago). Everytime i click on videos and choose add-ons i get a black screen. The only way to get to navi is by clicking the programs frpm the selection bar ([picture,videos, music etc). When i click on a movie to watch only a black screen is there while the audio is in the background. However, when i click the return button on the remote, the movie and audio are both working but i can get rid of the selection bar on the screen. How do i fix this in simple terms as i'm not a tecchie person. Pls help....thanks a million!!!

15. piopat

piopat Active member

ok do you know how to install fusion repo ? , you should be able to get arabic content from that . do you want me to post a guide on how to install fusion here for you ? . i can do that for you .

16. piopat

piopat Active member

17. piopat

piopat Active member

ok you dont mention what version of kodi you have . i know most people probably dont think to mention that or may not know how to find out but it may be information that can help us find out what the problem might be . also as you say your not a techie (which is fine ) i must assume that you havent updated kodi or the addons inside it etc , if so everything kodi wise may be out dated .

when you first open kodi down near the bottom of screen it usally says what version of kodi it is . failing that open kodi , then you will see PICTURES , VIDEOS , PROGRAMS , SYSTEM , go to SYSTEM an then go down to SYSTEM INFO .

now again near the bottom of the screen you should see BUILD : and then the kodi version you have .

now you mention that you have sound but no video , when that occurs its usually because the codecs in the box are set wrong , however as you have been using the box a year that may not be the case . but we can check anyway .

ok in the main kodi screen again go to SYSTEM as you did above , but this time go down to SETTINGS , now go to and select VIDEO . now on the left side of your screen are several options , the very last option SETTINGS LEVEL likely says STANDARD , wht i need you to do is go down to and highlight settings level and then press ok several times untill it says EXPERT . then go go back up the left side of the screen and go to and highlight ACCELERATION , now options should have apperared to the right of acceleration , press the right button on your remote to go over there .

now you should see 3 codecs and they likely each say ALLOW HARDWARE ACCELERATION . and to the right of each of the 3 is a little circle , if the circle is sort of grey that means the codec next to it is disabled , if all 3 are grey that means they are all disabled . on the other hand if all 3 are blue that means all are enabled .

now what ever way they are set we need to do the opposite . so if all 3 little circles are grey (disabled ) go to each line and press ok on them and the circle go blue and they will be enabled . if all 3 circles are blue when you look go to each line and press ok and make all 3 lines grey to disable them . as i say when you first look at these 3 codecs , what ever way they are set just do the opposite so if all 3 are enabled disable them , if they are disabled enable them , dont worry you can put these settings back easily if need be , just make a note of how they were set before you changed them .

now having changed the codec settings exit all those menus and go back to VIDEOS and then addons and play a move and see if the video is working . however i believe you likely need to install a new kodi version and then install the addons you want .

18. Uparoundthebend

Uparoundthebend Member

that's right piopat, oddly enough its called the lion king 1.5 (haven't got a 'half' symbol on my phone!) even though it's the 3rd one. sometimes i can find a thumbnail for it but the stream doesn't open. ill try a few more times in searches with different spellings etc. thanks!

19. R72

R72 Newbie

You can never know too much so yes please.

I think its the links that are dead though as when I click on the link options (I think theres 4) it just goes back to the link option menus

20. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

wow this has got busy lol, people buying boxes for the new footie season me thinks lol