1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A NEWBIES GUIDE TO MX ANDROID

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by piopat, Feb 12, 2015.

1. piopat

piopat Active member

MX ANDROID : HOW TO FTP FILES FROM YOUR LAPTOP TO YOUR ANDROID BOX

firstly ftp is a method to send files from one location to another or more specifically one device to another , ftp is short for file transfer protocol .

if your familiar with enigma 1 or enigma 2 boxes such as dm500s / dm800 s / vu + / amiko alien etc etc you will very likely know about such programs as dream control center (dcc ) or filezilla , you will most likely have used one or both of these applications to edit cccam in your box and add your c line . or perhaps you manually installed say tsmedia by sending tsmedia into the tmp/ file in your box , well using such applications to do these sorts of things is what we mean and what we are talking about when we say to ftp .

now if you want to install say an android app or an xbmc addon in your android box well you have two methods for each . to install an android addon you either open play store (or similar ) in your android apps and install from there or you add the android app to a usb stick and then insert the usb stick into your android box and then install the app that way . and in a lot of cases you may not be able to install an app from play store so you then have to get the addon on to a usb stick and install it that way .

similar applies to xbmc addons in that you can either install from a repo or you add the addon to a usb stick and insert the stick into your addon and then install it . that is a bit messy and tiresome as you have to keep moving your usb stick between your laptop and box and back again .

well with this tutorial you will be able to wirelessly send files to a usb stick thats connected to your android box . the first thing you will need to do is insert a usb memory stick into your android box . next in your android apps open play store and from there install a free app called WIFI FTP SERVER . lastly on your laptop install filezilla , if you have an enigma box you may already have this .

ok so the first thing you do is open wifi ftp server app , on the right side of screen you will see

enabled
    your box ip address
    windows ap

in the middle of your screen you will see

start
    get pro version

and on the left side of the screen

wifi status
    ip address
    network

heres what you should see.

[​IMG]

now very simply all you have to do is go to the middle of your screen and select START .

now you will see a split screen , what you saw above will all be on the left side of your screen . and on the right side of your screen you should see information from your box that you will need to enter into filezilla to connect filezilla to it . so you should see

[​IMG]

server url http:// (your box ip ) :2221
    userid android
    password android

above is roughly what you will see on the right side of your screen . the userid / password / port number will be the default settings but for security the userid and password can be changed . PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST LEAVE WIFI FTP SERVER APP OPEN UNTILL YOU ARE FINISHED TRANSFERRING FILES .

ok so now this bit is done , so far that was easy wasnt it ? lol , i know it seems a tad too easy lol but in this case it really is this easy believe me .

right now go to your laptop and open filezilla . when you open filezilla on the left of screen you will see two boxes one on top of the other that contain files in your laptop , and on the right side of screen you will also see two boxes but they will be empty , but once you connect to the android box files will appear in these boxes . so open filezilla and at the top of the filezilla screen you will see

host / username / password / port / quick connect .

[​IMG]

above is what filezilla looks like but the files etc that you see are different to what you will see on your laptop ,also you will see that the boxes on the right of screen have files in them , on your laptop screen at this point you wont see any files there .

ok at the top of your screen in the box where it says HOST put in your android box ip address , your android box ip address should be on the right side of your tv screen as i explained above , just type that ip into the box that says host . then type in android in the box that says username , and also type android into the box that says password , and the type 2221 (thats the default port number ) in the box that says port , lastly click on QUICK CONNECT . now all being well filezilla should connect to your android box and on the right side of the screen the two boxes i mentioned above will now be filled with files , if you see files in the boxes on the right you have successfully connected your laptop to your android box .

now comes the bit where you use filezilla to send a file to the usb stick thats connected to your android box .

on the left side of your filezilla screen you will see a box that says LOCAL SITE and to the right of that it will likely say C: users/ , and below that a box that says FILE NAME / FILE SIZE /FILE TYPE / LAST MODIFIED . in the box that says LOCAL SITE scroll down the list of files and look for DOWNLOADS and click on that to open it , remember any file you download goes there so thats where your android / xbmc files will be . now after clicking on the download file the list of files in the box just below should have changed and all your downloaded files should be displayed .

now you have to go to the boxes on the right of screen , the box will say REMOTE SITES and the box below that will basicly say the same things as the box on the left . in the REMOTE SITES box on the right side of your screen look for and click on the file called EXTERNAL STORAGE . now the files in the box just below that will have changed and you should see SDA1 (this is what your android box calls your usb stick ) , so where you see the file called sda1 double click on it to open it , if there are already files on the usb stick they will of course then be displayed .

right so now go back to the boxes on the left of screen and scroll down the list of downloaded files and find the android or xbmc file that you want to send to the usb stick in your android , left click on the file (keep pressing left click ) and while your doing that use another finger to drag your cursor (the cursor is the little arrow on screen) over to the box on the right side of the screen that displays the files on your usb stick and then stop pressing the left button , now the file you had clicked on in the box on the left should now be in the box on the right . transfer any other files to your usb stick the same way , then install these files on your android as you would install any android or xbmc addon .

thats it , now you can go back to your tv screen and the wifi ftp server app thats displayed there and on the left side of screen select STOP , that very simply stops the connection to your laptop . if you wish to reconnect again simply open wifi ftp server app and follow the instructions above .

this does not give you access to all files in the android many of which are hidden . however you can access files related to apps you have installed . for example if an app stopped working such as movies25 just recently well a file called a pyo file would be updated and uploaded to a site by the app maker to make the app work again , well you can download such a pyo file and with wifi ftp server you can send that file into the folder of the non working app and the app should then work again . ill try and do something along those lines next .

2. piopat

piopat Active member

MX ANDROID : HOW TO FIX NON WORKING XBMC ADDONS VIA FTP

i wont go into how to setup your laptop and box to ftp , its all detailed in my ftp tutorial just above .

so for this tutorial i will assume that you have followed my instructions in the above link and that you are ready to go . as a test if you havent got movies25 installed please install it from THE SILENCERS REPO . now once installed open xbmc and then open the addon and select movies , then select featured and you will see that no movies are listed , thats because a file in the addon called the DEFAULT PY file needs updating .

PLEASE NOTE BEFORE I GO FURTHER THAT I HAVE UPLOADED A WORKING MOVIES25 FILE TO THE SITE SHOULD PEOPLE WANT TO AVOID LEARNING ABOUT FTP .

so you will need a copy of the updated working DEFAULT PY file , i will attach it at the bottom of this post , it will be a zip file so before you can use it you have to unzip it .

right exit from xbmc and go to your android apps , open WIFI FTP SERVER app , and select START . now go to your laptop and open filezilla and connect to your android box as i described in my tutorial .

in the LOCAL SITE box on the left of screen find and select DOWNLOADS , now in the box on the right the REMOTE SITE box open the file called android , then open the file called data , then open the file called org.xbmc , then open files , then open addons . here is the path

/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/addons

now on the right of screen in the box below the REMOTE SITE box scroll down the list of files , you wont see the addon name but you will see PLUGIN , if you place your cursor on the first plugin file it will show you the name of the file . so what you need to do is scroll down the list of PLUGIN files untill you see moviestwentyfive (you will see another file called movies25, that is the wrong file ) the file must say moviestwentyfive not movies25 , when you see the file moviestwentyfive double click on it to open it . now you should see a file call DEFAULT PY , if so place your cursor on it and right click , options should appear , one option will be delete , so select delete and delete the current non working default py file .

now go back to the box on the left that displays all your downloaded files , find the unzipped DEFAULT PY file , left click on that file (and keep pressing the left click button ) and at the same time use another finger to move your cursor right straight across to the box on the right of screen and place the cursor there , then stop pressing the left click button , now the default pyo file should be in the box on the right .

if so you are done , on your tv screen stop wifi ftp server and close the app , then open xbmc and then open movies25 and select movies and then featured , now you will see movies listed where previously nothing was listed , you have now fixed movies25 addon .

BY THE WAY I HAVE DONE THIS MYSELF AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

hi guys
    i came acroos a site for andriod apps , if you google seo-micheal.co.uk/tag/xbmc has an app iptv sport for slysports one and two hd quality excellent and has many others , well worth checking out .
    cheers
    paulie57 ........................

4. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

new addon called FreeStreams,go to get more in videos,should be there,got sky channels,good quality, Enjoy

5. pudzyryan

pudzyryan Regular member

piopat, i got one of these MX android m8,, in the press with 6 months.. as im in rural and broadband is crap, anyway m8 of mine in city looking for it, is there a firmware ready to go , i could stick on it and it work away.. like a back up image about... cheers bud

6. piopat

piopat Active member

hi pudzy didnt the box come with firmware on it ? they usually do . certainly you can get firmware backups for android boxes but these boxes are not all the same . i mean for example take a dm800 staellite box , they have bootloaders and these bootloaders are different versions , lets for example say bl76 , if you flash the dm800 with an image that has a different bootloader version you will brick your box . now that isnt fatal to the box it just means that the box cant boot up , and is fixable if you know how . well similar would apply to android boxes , if you flash the wrong firmware you could brick the box , and could make it un useable there after , so care is needed .

what you need to do is look in the box menus and get the box details and make sure that any firmware you use corresponds to your box details ,if you do that you should be fine. and then do a google search on your model box and add firmware downloads to the search , you should find what you need . however the old line is still very much applicable that IF IT AINT BROKEN DONT FIX IT , so if its got suitable firmware on it that works ok dont change it .
    firmware files are to big to upload to some sites as they have a size limit on some files , so there is no way to upload full firmware backups here .

you can easily change xbmc if you want tho and upgrade to a newer version IF A NEWER ONE THAN YOUR CURRENT VERSION IS AVAILABLE . you can backup all your current xbmc settings and addons before you change xbmv versions , then when you have changed xbmc you can easily reinstate your settings and addons .

i know what you mean about broadband as i have been getting by on about 3 to 4 mb speeds (i was on only 1mb before that lol) , but its done ok for me as i can watch most stuff on my android with no problem with the exception of full hd which requires faster speeds . but the good news is im being upgraded to fiber in about two weeks time , and they say i should have upwards of 90mb speeds lol so then nothing on my android should be out of reach for me .

7. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

hi guys , i hope some one might be able to help with a problem im having with mxbox , i got a new box and gave my old one to a friend of mine , he put in his wifi settings and the worked fine for a hour or so , then he could not get a link to anything, i called to him and checked it out with him and went in to wifi settings but there were no networks to connect to and a message saying wifi needs to be refreshed but gives no options to do a refresh , i took the box back to my own home and got the same message , i got the box to work with ethernet but when i switch back to wifi still getting the same message, so guys if any one has come across this problem and found a out of it , would be glad of any input , thanks in advance guys .........
    cheers .....
    paulie57 ........

8. piopat

piopat Active member

there is a wifi issue that can arise with these boxes , basically for no reason the wifi is switched off and you cant switch it back on . if you cant see any networks via wifi that means the boxes wifi cant see the networks for some reason , obviously if wifi is switched off the box wont see any networks .

as a test from the android apps look for settings mbox (as you have connected to ethernet you have already been in that app) and open that app . ok you will see NETWORK / DISPLAY /ADVANCED / OTHER , under network select wifi , then select OTHER , now select MORE SETTINGS . now the first option you will see on the top left of screen is WIFI , and if you look in the top right corner of screen you should see either OFF or ON . now if wifi has just simply been turned off by accident you should be able to use your remote or your cursor to go to where it says off and switch it to ON .

so try that and see if you can switch the wifi back on , if you can well and good and problem solved . if you cant switch wifi on it would seem that you have a wifi problem that these boxes can develop . dont worry its not fatal or anything lol in fact its very easily fixed , so just try the above and see if you can solve the problem , if you cant let me know here and ill give you instructions to fix this wifi problem .

9. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

piopat did as you instructed but when i go to the on off its highlighted grey and does not give me the option to switch on, in the main screen it says turning wifi on but it seems to be stuck on that ? thanks for coming back with the info so fast
    cheers
    paulie57 .........

10. piopat

piopat Active member

ok paulie you seem to have the wifi issue that these boxes can develop . as i say its not a big thing but it is annoying , very simply a file for the wifi for some reason becomes corrupt . as with a computer all programs have backup copies of all important files , so you can remove / deactivate a corrupt file and then use the backup file which should work perfectly . then the computer makes another backup of the current working file .

so we can do something similar with the android to repair the wifi problem . HERES MY TUTORIAL you can skip to part 2 paulie .

MX ANDROID : HOW TO FIX NON WORKING WIFI

PART 1
    most android boxes work via wifi or ethernet cable , and some android boxes may have or can develop a problem where wifi wont work . the problem im talking about is that wifi is set to OFF and you cant change it from off to on . some people get their boxes and have this problem from the start , and with others their wifi works for a time and then all of a sudden it doesnt . because wifi is off and you cant switch it on your box naturally cant see any wifi networks .

now the ethernet option will of course work and if you should get this problem with your box you can if want (if its an option ) connect your box to your router via an ethernet cable . but if running an ethernet cable from your router to your box is not an option you either will have to use some other sort of wifi devices like homeplugs or you will have to fix the wifi problem your box has . so this tutorial will help you fix the wifi problem should it ever occur in your box .

ok first off lets check to ensure that your box does indeed have the wifi problem . switch on your android and go to the android apps screen (see below )

[​IMG]

now open the app called settings mbox . you will see NETWORK (see below )

[​IMG]

you should have network highlighted by default but if not use your left/ right buttons to go to NETWORK , then below network you should see WIFI and a little tick box and to the right of that ETHERNET and another tick box . at this point if you have an ethernet cable attached to your box and you want to use that just use your up/down and left right buttons to go to and select ethernet , after you select it a tick will appear in the tick box and onscreen it should say ethernet connecting and then ethernet connected followed by an ip address . some times it may not immediately connect so id say exit from settings mbox and then go back in and it should then connect .

ok now if you want wifi go to wifi and select it and put a tick in the box , then on screen it should say REFRESHING ACCESS POINTS , and then the wifi network or networks near to you SHOULD i say should pop up onscreen allowing you select the wifi network you want to connect to . if you can see the wifi networks listed and you can select one well then you dont have the wifi problem that we will be fixing here , in which case all you have to do is select the network you want to connect to and use the onscreen keypad to type in the routers wifi key .

however if you selected wifi above and you did not see any wifi networks appear well that is a very strong indication that your box does indeed have the wifi problem . but we will just make doubly certain of this , so what you need to do is use your up/down and left / right buttons to move from NETWORK and go to OTHER , and then go down to MORE SETTINGS and then press ok button . now you are in the settings menu and the first option in there is WIFI and it should be highlighted in blue . now if all was well at this point and wifi was working on the upper right side of your screen you would see wifi networks listed , if you have the wifi problem you wont see any networks at all . now look up top near the top right corner of screen , you should see OFF (it may be highligted blue ) use your right /left up/ down buttons to go to off and try to change it to ON , you can also switch on your cursor and try to go to and switch wifi on that way . if you have the wifi problem wifi wont switch on , it may say WORKING or similar and look as tho its trying to switch on BUT IT WONT , so at this point if thats what you are seeing well then its confirmed that your box has the wifi problem . so this is where we go and fix it .

PART 2
    to fix the problem you need to install es file explorer , as you have no wifi you can download it online via your laptop and pop it on a usb stick and then pop the stick into your android and install it that way as you usually install an android app . or alternatively connect your box via ethernet for a short while and in your android apps open google play store (you may need a google account to use this app ) and you should be able to install es file explorer from there , meaning it will install direct to your box .

es file browser is an app that lets you look at files in your box that are usually hidden and you cant see them , and thats what we are going to do , we will be looking for a hidden file that you cant see , but as the files are hidden and you cant see them we have to first enable a few settings that will display these hidden files .

ok so open es file browser , now use your down button to scroll down the left side of your screen all most to the bottom and then highlight TOOLS and press ok button to open it . now again on the left side of screen you will see options and about 6 options that say ON /OFF . similar to picture below

[​IMG]

use your down button again and go down to ROOT EXPLORER and change it from off to on , then scroll down a tad further to SHOW HIDDEN FILES and change it from off to on . now press your UP button and go all the way back up towards the top left of your screen to where it says LOCAL and then press ok .

under LOCAL now you will see even more options such as homepage / device / download , what you need to do is scroll down to DEVICE and press ok button . now you will have noticed while doing all of the above that there were some files showing on the right side of your screen in a big white box , well you should now see a lot more files in that box because now the hidden files are no longer hidden .

so now we are all most there , look in the list of files in the big white box on the right side of screen and find the file called DATA , use your usual up/down and left/ right buttons to go to the file called DATA and then press ok button to open it . the files in the white box will again change , now look for a file called MISC , go to that file and open it as you just opened the data file . now once again in the white box look for the file called WIFI and open it , now look for the file called WPA_SUPPLICANT.CONF . go to that file and press and hold the ok button (this is called long pressing ) untill a tick appears on it , if you can see the tick on the file what you have to do next is press your cursor button (my cursor button is at the bottom left corner of my remote ) and move your cursor down to the bottom of screen where you should see options such as copy/ cut / delete , use your cursor to select DELETE , thats right you need to delete the WPA_SUPPLICANT.CONF file as this is whats causing your wifi problem . if you are asked if you are sure you want to delete select yes .

PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND BE SURE TO ONLY DELETE THE WPA_SUPPLICANT.CONF FILE

ok so now you have deleted the file , now exit out of all these menus and exit out of es file browser , and then exit from your android apps screen by pressing home , now place your box in standby by pressing the red POWER button in the top right corner of your remote . now we need to reboot your box , so either unplug your android box or simply remove the power cable from the rear of the box , then plug the back in again and let it boot up .

now go to your android apps menu , then open settings mbox , now at this point you could try placing a tick in the box next to NETWORK and seeing if wifi networks appear below it , if they do thats great and well and good , so at this point if you see wifi networks displayed select the network you want and then enter your router wifi key , you will see INPUT PASSWORD and it should be green and below it is a tick box (tick that box with your cursor ) then where it says INPUT PASSWORD it should be green if so press ok button , now the keypad will appear on screen . then type your wifi key and when completed select DONE on the keypad , now select CONNECT NOW , and all being well your box will work via wifi .

if you tick WIFI above but dont see any wifi networks listed onscreen simply go to OTHER , then go down to MORE SETTINGS and press the ok button , now WIFI should be highlighted , so use your up /down left / right buttons or your cursor to go to the top right corner of your screen and change off to on , if it changes succesfully to on thats it . now exit back to network and tick network and now you should finally see wifi networks listed onscreen . then follow the instructions just above to enter your wifi key .

after this i hope your wifi is working as it should be .

i can confirm that this fix works as ive used it my self .

11. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

piopat it worked a treat , the tut was so easy to follow and for me thats saying something , up and running again , i have one more for you , i have the box set up now with my own wifi settings as i was saying in earlier post, i was giving this box to a mate of mine and if i put in his settings would the same problem accur again ?
    thanks again for the tech info ......
    cheers
    paulie57 ............

12. piopat

piopat Active member

hi paulie thats great , i do try to make my tutorials as easy to follow as possible but also so that they are newbie friendly as possible .

i cant say for certain paulie but the box probably should have your mates wifi key stored in it , so when you go to your mates house it should in theory just be a matter of opening settings mbox and switching network to your mates network and selecting connect . but if not all you have to do is select your mates network and pp in his wifi key . i cant promise you that the problem wont occur at some point again , but it may never ever occur again but atleast if it does well now you know how to fix it .

the problem as far as i know is nothing to do with wifi networks or wifi keys , it is as far as i know just a matter of the wifi file becoming corrupt , what exactly causes that i cant really say . it would be good if we knew exactly what causes all problems , but some times there can be many multiples of things that can cause a particular problem so its not always easy to pin point why a particular problem occurs . but i guess the important thing is that we can fix these things . talk soon paulie

13. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

cheers piopat thanks for the tech info , I give it a go again on his WiFi at least now I'll have some idea if goes after an hour or so what to check .

Cheers
    Paulie57 ............

14. natalieex

natalieex Newbie

Hi looking for some help. I have a mx android box it was working fine then it started to crash i turned it of now it wont power back up theres just a red light on the front of it.

15. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

have you tried entering recovery menu? unplug power cord, stick a cocktail stick down the av port you should feel a button press it in, keep the button pressed down and plug power cord back in, keep button pressed down until you see the android man on the tv, thats the recovery menu, you could scroll to reboot now see if that fixes it if not, repeat the process and factory reset box

16. natalieex

natalieex Newbie

hiya, yeah i have tried that but nothing seems to be happing the android man isnt coming up

17. piopat

piopat Active member

if the box is stuck on a red light it would seem its not even booting up , if a box boots up even a tad (there is the green android screen / the mbox screen etc ) but then stops and goes no further you would then know for sure that your problem is a simple enough boot problem .

as your box is stuck on the red light it may be a more serious problem , it could of course be that the box boot process is completely corrupted and so it simply cant even start to boot . you can fix boot issues , its not as easy as it could be but its do able , however if its a more serious fault a new box may be the only solution . is the box new and still under guarantee ? if it is id say dont mess with it any further and contact the seller about repair or replacement .

i found with another mx that i had problems getting the reset menu up onscreen , and when i did manage it (with much difficulty ) that teh remote control would not function . it seems with the mx that it doesnt recognise the remote control untill after the boot process is complete , so if a box cant boot the remote is some what useless . you can see the reset screen but you cant select anything in it as you need the remote to do that and the remote wont work .

however the wifi keypad remote will work and will allow you to select options in the reset menu but you dont get a wifi keypad remote as standard . i had to order one . so if you did access the reset menu screen but nothing was happening that is why . that said if you can access the reset menu screen well that atleast means that your box is operating and not dead .

for me its either terrible thinking by the box maker , or good thinking so as to make more money . i mean to provide options to repair a stuck box but to then give you a remote that is incapable of being used for that process is a nonsense . so either they were very stupid which i doubt or they had dollar signs flashing before their eyes , id say it was the dollar signs myself lol .

if you can manage to get the box to reset it may fix the problem , if not at the least a firmware relfash would be needed , and for that you must ensure that you have the correct firmware , as the wrong firmware could brick your box .

18. natalieex

natalieex Newbie

Thanks for the reply.
    Its not even booting up atall. It was fine well kept crashing so i turned it of now it wont go back on. Thanks a try get a firmware a think a should have it on my laptop still and try it that way first if not then it be going in the bin lol.
    I have notice that before with the remote it doesnt work on that screen it is silly but a think it could be the dollar sign lol. I have a wireless mouse that does the job lol.

19. piopat

piopat Active member

let us know if you manage to fix it nat

20. natalieex

natalieex Newbie

sure will. just going to try it the now first chance i had all day so fingers crossed lol