1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by LordKyro, Apr 10, 2005.

1. LordKyro

LordKyro Member

I searched and I haven't found anything that covers this.
    Every movie that i have made recently is coming out wrong.
    I am playing all the DVDs in an Apex dvd player which plays just about anything.
    Some movies read partially but won't even get to where I can play the movie.
    BTW I am using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.
    The movies that are single layer, I am just using Decrypter on and burning and ISO with nero but those won't play either.
    I am using Memorex DVDs.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try doing a search on Memorex DVD's and I'm sure you will find out what your problem is...

3. LordKyro

LordKyro Member

I just searched and got lots of results...
    so, is it just bad media?

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I can't stress how important quality media is in DVD backup. I can't count the people whose problems I have solved just by changing their media. Memorex is one of the worse and most inconsistent media on the market today.

It's not just a quality issue as was the mindset in CD burning, or VHS, etc. It is the fact of a burn actually playing or playing properly. Bad or inconsistent media causes jumping, skipping, freezing, and not playing at all.

I mention inconsistent because a lot of media will use different manufacturers and thus different batches will vary in quality even though you're buying the same brand. By using quality media you also eliminate media as a possibility when you do encounter a problem with burning DVD's.

Quality media doesn't mean expensive either. You can get quality media cheaper than Memorex, for example, You can get Branded Riteks +R or -R for under .50 each w/free shipping. ALWAYS buy BRANDED media so you know what you are getting.

I would also suggest getting a little free app called dvdinfopro. Among it's many uses, it will analyze your media. I keep it on my desktop for easy access because it has so many useful features.

Here is a good reputable company with an excellent return policy and great prices for DVD media:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yes it is more than likely your crappy Memorex's

Here's a few tips that should help you out..

Buying Online
    Taiyo Yuden (genuine TY’s there are fakes out there so beware)
    Ritek G04 brand these would be the x4 disks again beware of fakes
    Prodisc 2nd class media, but newer media x8 seems to work well for people

Buying at the store (Best Buy, Office Depot, Wal-Mart ect.)
    Fuji film – Manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, MCC, Ricoh Japan, Prodisc, Fuji Film all fairly good manufacturers
    Maxell – Manufactured by Maxwell, Ritek, RicohJapan, Taiyo Yuden
    TDK – Manufactured by TDK, Ritek, RicohJapan, Maxwell, MCC, CMC Beware of the CMC brand
    Verbatim – MCC, CMC, TY, RicohJapan, Ritek again beware of CMC which it seems Verbatim is using more frequently lately.
    Sony - RicohJapan, MCC, Sony

Note: A good rule of thumb when purchasing your media in the store is to look for “made in Japan or Singapore” stay away from “made in Taiwan or Hong Kong” When buying online always try and get “Branded” media this way you can be sure you are getting the genuine article. There is an exception to that rule and it would be Taiyo Yuden disks. You just need to buy from a reputable dealer when buying online. Here are a few I have bought from with good experience. Of course it isn’t going to be the same for everyone.

Supermediastore.com – Rated number 1 just about anywhere you look.
    Rima.com – Fast and cheap good service
    Mertline.com – Little slower on shipping, but quality media

Ones you should stay clear of
    Shop4tech.com – Let’s just say you get what you pay for.. I received fake TY’s from them

6. LordKyro

LordKyro Member

thanks for spending the time to write that lengthy and very informing reply, I think I am going to go trash that spindle of memorex now...
    now to go about setting up a pay pal account...

7. haimback

haimback Regular member

EDIT> lol by the time id typed my original post the other guys had given more than enough info

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  8. LordKyro

LordKyro Member

I love how so many people just jump right in and help a newb. This place is great.

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Mertline.com – Little slower on shipping, but quality media

I've been buying from them for 2 years, and I ALWAYS get my discs in 2-3 days. Also never had a hassle on refunds and always get free shipping not to mention sales every other week or so. Just got my last Ritek G04 4x-R(the ones you can't find anywhere that were replaced by the 8x G05) for .29 each! I get the Ritek Ridata 4x +R for around .38 each. Both are branded and with free shipping.

I have nothing but good to say for Meritline. Newegg is another favorite of mine. I put both ahead of Supermedia. The best thing to do LordKyro, is check 'em all out and go for what suits your needs best .

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have always had good service with Mertline also just not as fast as Supermedia or Rima, but that could possibly have to do with location. I also didn't say those where in any particular order just that they are all good. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  11. forkndave

forkndave Member

Meritline, Supermediastore and Rima are all located in California. Since I live in Arizona I usually get stuff in a couple of days with UPS ground. I've ordered components from Newegg and some come from California and some come from New Jersey. I've been pretty satisfied with all of these places.