1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Puzzling Problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jrak, Jan 17, 2007.

1. jrak

jrak Member

I have a Plextor PX-708A DVD Drive in a computer that uses Windows XP Home and has 1 gig of ram. It ran without a problem for more than a year until today. After writing a DVD data disk using Nero, the disk ejected and the computer re-booted. Plextor technical support had me swap cables, run a diagnostic test with the IDE cable detached (it passed the diagnostic test), use msconfig to disable all programs in the start menu, and remove and reinstall the device. Nothing worked. Here's the mysterious part: if I use a DVD (video or data) from a manufacturer, it runs without a problem. If I use a CD or DVD that I previously created (video or DVD data), the system crashes and reboots. It does not matter what brand of CD or DVD. Anything that I have created previously crashes the computer. The Plextor people are stumped. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Do you have another drive you can try?

It sounds like something in Windows has corrupted. If you can try another drive, and it still does the same thing, you'll need to reinstall Windows. If another drive works ok, you'll know it was the drive.
    Good luck!

3. jrak

jrak Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll need to buy another drive and install it. I was hoping that there might be something else I could try before doing so.

4. jrak

jrak Member

This is an update on the problem described earlier. I bought and installed a new DVD drive. The same problem occurred with it. It can read a disk from a manufacturer, but when I put a disk that I have created, the system crashes and reboots.

I'm going to uninstall my CD writing software next and see what happens.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5. jrak

jrak Member

I uninstalled Roxio, rebooted and the problem was solved. Not sure why, but I have read in other forums that Nero and Roxio don't always work together. Sure wish that I had done that in the first place!

6. JVC

JVC Active member

I didn't realize you had Roxio on there too, or that would have been my first suggestion...........
    I know about Roxio and Nero conflicting with each other. Some say the main culprit, is an app included with Nero, called InCD. Some folks have Roxio and Nero, without problems. But most experience problems with them.
    Glad you worked it out. :eek:)

7. jrak

jrak Member

I installed Roxio with the drive and hardly ever used it. In fact, I forgot that I had it. Nero is much much better in my opinion. The software products co-existed without a problem for more than a year. Not sure why the problem suddenly surfaced. Lesson learned: if you're not using software, get rid of it!

8. Shardel

Shardel Guest

Didn't see this till today. I might mention something I ran into
    several months ago. My machine was doing the same thing yours was.
    I did not have Roxio as I knew Roxio and Nero could cause conflicts.
    However I have Windows Media Player, (it is my understanding you
    can't uninstall this once you get it). I wrote a backup music CD
    with Windows Media player. It wrote it in a WMA format. I converted
    it to Wav format and did the backup disc. The next time I tried to
    do a disc in any program I ran into this problem. I deleted all
    the files I had written with my media programs and was still having
    a problem. Then I found a file in my documents that was a copy of
    the wma file. Windows Media player had put the file in two places.
    Once I deleted that file everything returned to normal.
    Also I read on one of the sites that when you install Nero don't
    install the Incd file. That helps a whole lot.

9. bigredbus

bigredbus Member

jrak....I had problem that was close to yours. I had a Plextor 716A writer. I performed very well for just about a week over the one year warranty. I called Plextor Support and they were very nice. They had me perform the same diagnostic test and my 716A passed. After several attempts to correct the problem with other solutions, they told me they would replace the drive since it was only a week over the warranty. I was ELATED! I expected to receive a 716A; instead they sent me a PX 760A, Dual Layer writer, and an upgrade! Keep on Plextor; flatter them into helping you.

10. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Make sure your cables are tight no bent prongs on the board or anywhere and make sure your memory is in place and tight if your memory to a crap or staic charge while working on it it will run But not like it should and you will get all kinds of errors

11. bigredbus

bigredbus Member

Thanks for the comeback! I just finished checking all my cables, they are ok. I also opened the case and checked to see if my memory modules were tight and they were. One correction. I did lose 25% of my volume on the discs I burned using dvd shrink; I checked that tonight. One of the gurus at work told me to uninstall the MPEG2-VCR and NERO Vision Express 3 and re-install. I just finished doing that; but its too late to see if that corrected the problem. This bus driver has to get up at 500am and drive a local bus route from syracuse to massena...in heavy lake effect snow on wed morn. Time for bed! Thanks to all of you who responded with tips! Cheers!