1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a question about data rate

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by xcmbm, Jun 18, 2007.

1. xcmbm

xcmbm Member

hi all

I cannot merge 2 video clips (avi files) because they have different data rates. could you show me how to change data rate of a video clip? thank you in advance

2. attar

attar Senior member

What program are you using?
    I find that if you use VirtualDub, the files have to be identical as to frame size and Video and Audio compression, else it end up out of sync.
    This means recompressing the files with something like SuperĀ©

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/super.cfm

Then loading one of the new files into VirtualDub, verifying that the video and audio are exactly the same length and if so, appending the other file.
    If the first file shows any difference between audio and video, then clip a few frames off the end and re-save the file (Video and Audio 'Direct copy');reload it and append the second file.
    Save with direct copy.

3. xcmbm

xcmbm Member

hello attar

thank you answering my question. If you don't mind, I would like to ask you one more question . I used convertXtoDVD to convert an avi file to dvd files. after finish converting, I tested the dvd files with vlc media player, the movie played faster than normal, like those silent movies in the 1920s. I also tried winavi video converter, but the result is the same. Could you show me how to fix this problem? thank you in advance and sorry for my English

4. attar

attar Senior member

When you played the original AVI file was it ok?

5. xcmbm

xcmbm Member

yes, when I played the avi file, it was fine

6. attar

attar Senior member

If this is problem is only observed in one file, compare the FPS (frame rates) of the AVI and the VOB.
    Drag the files onto GSpot and check.

The only difference normally if it went from PAL to NTSC (25 to 29.97)
    but that would not cause the effect you note.
    When the DVD file (VOB) is on GSpot press the buttons and observe the playback.

I think VLC uses its own codecs, so that might be where the problem lies.If the files were burned to DVD and it played ok in a standalone player that would tend to prove it.
    Or try another software player - Media Player Classic comes to mind.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

[​IMG]