1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for legit modders

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by davidml3, May 22, 2007.

1. davidml3

davidml3 Member

Why is it that non modders get so upset when it comes to modding not even pirating. I mean those who backup a legal owned game so that in case something happens you always have the original in a safe place. I mean its not like the 360 is the most perfect system because it does scratch games (5 of mine all backups tho). Instead of me having to shell out another 60 that may get scratched as well its more cost effective to play a backup.

Why cant they understand that? How many of them do you think dont backup their pc files or pc harddrive?

2. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

because, they feel that we are inferior to them because they think were stupid. When in reality they cant do it themselves thats why they get angry. :)

3. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

i agree, if they new how they would. only a idiot would not backup expensive or important pc software or files.

4. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

no, because 99% of the people who "backup" games are doing it for illegal purposes thus raising prices on games because companies have to spend $$ on R 7 D to protect their developments from being pirated and then they have to implement the technology, all raising the cost of games. Its illegal to do, and its because of those people that things are expensive.

If you bought a car, would you expect to get free gas with it and then steal the gas from gas stations?

if you buy a CD player or DVD player, do you expect to get music CD's or DVD's for free with it?

no, you don't, you know that, and you know that if you can't afford the gas, CD's or DVD's, then you won't buy the car, cd or DVD player.

if gas stations had to implement technology to prevent theft of gas and then gas prices went up over this, the american public would be in an uproar.

I hope you see my point. If you are backing up to only play the backups, fine, but even still, you're supposed to backup for archival purposes and use the original, not the backup copy. The law regarding backups of computer software is for archival purposes, meaning that the backup doesn't get used unless the original is damaged, and this doesn't truly extend to video games.

5. oosel

oosel Regular member

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  6. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

that is exactly true. also people who can't flash consoles like 360 they go around saying modchip is the best the old and good way and making fun of the people who got banned not realizing their chip will also ban them on live but they have a switch. the old days are over the times of the pc hackers are here! we backup legit since they can't do it they get mad and call us pirates!

7. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

who craped in your cherios.
    i will tell you this my friend, i have a 2005 model car and if i could figure uot how to make it run on water I WOULD AND YOU WOULD TO!!! i have multiple xbox 360s so ill buy 1 game and play them on all three.
    you must be a modchipper.

8. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

When i said technology to prevent gas theft, I meant more so than the obvious cameras ... no one crapped in my cheerios, and great if you can get it to run on water, I meant only steal gas! not use a substitute!

9. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

Bryan, too bad your wrong, any duplication of that stuff is illegal, for backup purposes or not, so on that point your mistaken.

my Ps2 is modded, my 360 is not, i didn't mod my 360 cuz i figured eventually some sort of ban was going to occur, and i very much enjoy live so i didn't want to risk it. all of my games are legit and 1 gets scratched (i've had 1 [GoW]) i take it to the store and swap it.

i would/will edit my next 360 though when i get it, i don't feel like buying games 2 times to play on system link...

and on the gas point > cameras in the pumps, cameras on the buildings, pay before you pump only, pay at the pump only's, clerk authorization before pumping for pay inside pumping......... (u do have 24hrs or something to go back and pay for ur gas though....its the law)

10. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

You are wrong on all those statements. in fact only 5% of people pirate games.

your comparasions are assinine... you get free gas and then steal more? we didnt get free games so its not as though we are ripping MS off even more. if we do pirate games, then you chippers do the same thing. thing is, we are smart enough to save money so we can actually buy the games we want....or buy gas lol

11. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

Ok, come up with a legit source for your only 5% of modders who actually pirate games ... ha! And most people in prisons are innocent - lawyers screwed 'em! Granted, I don't have a legit source for my 95%, but regardless if you are backing up to back up, or backing up a friend's game to play on your xbox, you are infact, get this, pirating your games! And don't tell me that most 14yr old soft modders are backing up their game collections to keep them safe ... please ... they don't work and most kids' parents won't buy them every game on the market - free soft modding + high speed internet = a small army or piraters.

And read what I wrote, I didn't say you get free gas then steal more - I made a comparison saying that you don't buy a car and expect free gas with it - you know the expenses. I said "would you expect to get free gas with it" and then steal it to get it free. It makes complete sense.

12. DodgeM4s

DodgeM4s Member

Here is a question for the "legit" modders, you say you make backups to protect your originals, so why not just pay an extra 3 bucks when you buy the game so if something does happen to it, you get another one for free ?

13. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

I don't do any sort of backups what so ever, but I'll tell you that alot of people don't have instant access to a big box electronics store that offers something like that.

I live 2 to 2.5 hours from the closest best buy, circuit city or CompUSA ... I'm 1 hour away from any sort of store that sells video games (my choices are Walmart, Target & GameSpot) - none of which I know of that offers a service that will replace a damaged game disc.

Yeah, its tempting to get modding going, but I don't wanna lose my Live & I don't wanna pirate games, regardless, whether you think its ok or not, its still pirating.

14. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

Pirating has been around longer then videogames, so who cares anyway??

if your really interested in backing up titles to keep the originals unscathed, then u could buy 2 360's, 1 for the originals to be used online keeping them more mint (keeping dumbasses from handling them) and one for modding.

and Brian, have you never siphoned gas before? what about stolen a pack of gum? crime is inevitable, don't say you've never done it. at least you've exceeded the speed-limit or rolled through a stop sign (assuming your old enough to drive)

you've never installed an OS using a friends disc or anything like that? quit preaching, your flawed too. and i think Best buy offers that replacement crap...Big blue bastards w/ a yellow tag!!

as far as the inferiority complex davidml3 was talking about in the beginning it's just the simple fact, of 1. they're not ballsy enough to do it or 2. they can't follow read-me's.

15. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

if u are saying backing games up is wrong i will see how you feel when your 2 days old call of duty 3 discs fall into your little brothers hand and when you come home to see it shattered into like shards! because he was fighting with cousin to play!! THAT is y i backup games!! i lost 1 original and 3 backups to children. i think i saved the 3 originals and let the backups die! and there is no warranty for $2 get real!! just cuz most of you don't know how to backup you call everyone smart enough to do it a pirate!

16. steimy

steimy Active member

wow, hostile thread here.
    But i think the original question has been answered. People who do not mod get mad because they figure that everyone who does is doing it to pirate games. And modders get upset with that because there are a lot of us that do it for the reasons listed above. We value our originals and do not wish to see any harm come to them and have to shell out more time and money to go and replace them. and for those with kids or younger siblings it is a must. So my thought is if you want to mod then do it, but don't bitch about being banned from Xbox Live because that is the price you pay. And if you do not want to mod, then don;t. But don't sit there and play judge and jury to the people who do. You can state your opinion without being a total a$$ about it or being hostile towards others.

As for the whole gas and car discussion. Well that is just your government ripping you off. Nothing more. They have alternatives that they could use, but it would cost oil companies billions so it never seems to happen. Take for example the fact that they have been making hydrogen cars for years now, testing them. Not only would that kill your need for buying oil from foreign countries. But cut pollution from cars to zero, as the only byproduct of burning hydrogen is water.

Last edited: May 23, 2007