1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for the experts?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by phil.a1, Jan 3, 2005.

1. phil.a1

phil.a1 Member

Hi all,

New to all of this but have done a lot of reading and think I know the basics about HD Loader/Advance, Hard drives, mod chips etc.

However, something has occurred to me & I wonder if anybody can answer a question?

I have 2 PS2's - one unmodded & one modded (Infinity).

I have just bought a Network Adapter and would like to wire up a hard drive. I know from reading the forums that if you don't have a modchip/swap magic/flip top etc., you have to use the ORIGINAL games & ORIGINAL HD Loader/Advance. Likewise, if you DO have a modchip/swap magic/flip top then YOU CAN use back-ups of your games or a downloaded version of HD Loader/Advance, and not have to have the originals. I believe this correct?

So my question:-

Can I download a version of HD Loader/Advance from the net, burn it to a cd and use it in my modded PS2 so as to recognise the hard drive, then transfer original OR back-up games to the hard drive.

THEN, once I've done that, take the hard drive out of the modded PS2 and transfer it to the unmodded PS2 and play the games already loaded onto the hard drive?

I dare say the answer is no (probably as I'd have to have the ORIGINAL copy of HD Loader/Advance EACH TIME I wish to play a game from the hard drive?). However, having said that, if I did have the ORIGINAL copy of HD Loader/Advance, would I then be able to play the games (the ones loaded from CD-R/DVD-R back-up copies onto the hard drive via the modded PS2) on the hard drive in the unmodded PS2?

Perhaps an easier way of saying it is: -

Can I save "back-up" copies of games onto a hard drive on a modded PS2, and then transfer the hard drive to a non modded PS2 and play them (by using an ORIGINAL HD Loader/Advance disk)?

If nothing esle, it may get people thinking!

Thanks in advance.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

You have to boot hd loader everytime you want to play off the hd, so your method won't quite work. What you can do though, is use your modded ps2 to put hd loader on a memory card. You can then use the memory card and an original ps1 game to boot hd loader. This way, you don't have to buy anything, and you can use a slide card to install backups on your unmodded ps2.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005