1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question of dvd rebuilder about the reduction level

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by carguy696, Apr 18, 2005.

1. carguy696

carguy696 Guest

when dvd rebuilder says "Reduction Level for DVD-5: 58.2%" what does it mean??? IS it like the dvd has been shrunk by 58.2% or the dvd that dvd rebuilder is rebuilding is 58.2% of it;s original quality??
    I am backing up a family guy dvd and on dvd rebuilder it says Reduction Level for DVD-5: 58.2% but when i use dvd shrink it says it can back it up 2 60.5% of the quality. WHich is better in that way??? and which is the best for backing up carttoon dvds casue they both look about the same on my 32inch widescreen tv when hooked up on compoent cables.

2. jdobbs

jdobbs Regular member

It means it will be shrunk to 58.2% of its original size.

Reduction percentage and quality have no real relationship. Quality is more dependent upon bitrate and resulting quantization. It is entirely possible that you might have a DVD that is encoded at a very high bitrate that can be reduced to 50% of its original size with very good quality -- and another that was close to its limit on the origianl that wouldn't look as good at 85%.

70% of 1200 is more than 80% of 1000...

As for which is the one to use: You should use the one that best satisfies your needs. DVD-RB is aimed at high quality, but Shrink has every feature you can imagine.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005