1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a quick wii question on the internet

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by iwillgetu, Jan 23, 2007.

1. iwillgetu

iwillgetu Regular member

do i have to have a wireless router to connect my wii to the net or can i use my wi fi stick?
    thanks

2. ghost101

ghost101 Member

hey iwillgetu,

its best to use a router or nintendo brand wifi connector. from what i know, the majority of wi-fi stick/card brands arnt compatible with the wii, which is annoying!

by the way, willureallygetme? wheniamaghost?

3. Harerazer

Harerazer Member

Well you can probably leech off of someone else's wireless connection actually. If you already have a Wi-Fi stick then try it out. If it doesn't work (and I can't see why it wouldn't) then I'd suggest getting a low cost wireless router. You can use it for your computer anyway. If you get a dedicated Wi-Fi stick like Nintendo's or Datel's then it'll cost you almost as much and not be as versatile. $50 ain't too much to spend in the long run.

4. carbon14

carbon14 Member

I'm an old-timer here and new to alot of the technology and their pros and cons.

What is the benefit of wi-fi, besides convenience, especially if you live in an apartment or an old building that isn't or can't be wired with CAT-5 to use on a regular router? Seems that it's a security risk to use wirelss networks, but maybe I prefer using the sure-fire method.

5. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

The wireless is nice on the Wii, and I just think it's better than having wires go all through the house. If you don't have Wireless in your house, you can buy an adapter that plugs into the USB ports on the Wii, and gives you an Ethernet port. So if you don't have wireless, that doesn't mean that you can't use the Internet on the Wii.