1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A semi-solution to poor media problems

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by OzMick, May 6, 2004.

1. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone else has had positive experience in using DVD Idle with poor quality media, and if not, suggest trying it to allow at least your computer to read them satisfactorally. I couldn't find anything like this posted previously, so thought I'd throw it in for discussion.

Because DVD Idle allows such a humungous buffer, I've found that it gives the drive sufficient time to read through most errors, so although the program mightn't be actually allowing the DVD drive to idle much (as it is intended), flawless playback of questionable media is possible.

I know that purists probably won't be big on the idea of not being able to take their backup to many standalone players, for us cheapskates who aren't big on shelling out all our cash on expensive media, it is a solution. I've got plenty of discs that friends claim won't even load, or load but have crap playback, but through this program I get flawless playback of the whole thing.

Hope it helps a few people out.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Interesting point but it costs 50 bucks and does nothing for standalone players.

3. brian100

brian100 Guest

It is a very interesting point indeed. But, i personally feel, that this method is potentially delaying the inevitable. IE bad media will cease to function, period.

Given that the price of good quality media is falling, at least in the uk, like a stone, I feel there is no longer a reason for NOT purchasing quality media. But again, it's up to the individual to make his or her choice on this matter.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Love the new sig, Brian :)

5. brian100

brian100 Guest

Thanks Nephilim. Well, basically, in life if you can't have a laugh the only other realistic option is to maim!