1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A slew of questions, help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Sam334, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Sam334

Sam334 Guest

I'll start by stating that I've searched through the boards and didn't find anything relating to my question(s).

Also, here is what I'm running

PS2 Version 1
    Swap Magic 3.0 with slide card
    Using Staples brand CD-R 700 MB (Made by imation)
    Nero
    Clone CD

-I only have a CDRW at the moment, but want to purchase a DVDRW. Does anyone have a good recommendation (not too expensive less than 250 please) on one they've used and have not had any problems playing backed up PS2 games. 4X is fine, since burning will be at 1X anyways.

-What exactly is special boot on Swap Magic 3.0? I've noticed a majority of my games need it.

-Has anyone had a problem with trying a to play any game with Swap Magic and slide card, and then getting a disc read error? I had to open up the PS2 and re-align the lens by moving that little white click-ity wheel and find a good spot.

-Finally, the subject on which I found some information but it wasn't completely clear. With a V1 PS2, how can I play backups of PS1 games? I know I need a gameshark or action replay, but that's about all I could find. Some threads say to have a ps1 gameshark, some say for it to be ps2 gameshark. Could someone who plays backed up ps1 games please clear this up and include what GS version to purchase.

Thanks in advance for any help with any of my questions. This group is extremely helpful for those just getting started.

-Stephen

2. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

wow dude *claps his nands* v1 ps2!!! how did you keep it all those years?...

anyway...

you should check the thread that right here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/69318

now as for the prices try the A06 it's really cheap now... about $150... in the second place it's the sony with about 200... and on the last place it's plextor with about 210 depends on who sell it...

well nothing "special" about it only lets you boot up dvdrips... while 2.0 didnt let you do proprly...

this one is common if the ps2 is THAT old... so get used to it or buy another... i dont want to be rude.. but IF it brakes no one will repair it for you...

get... GS lite... or AR for ps1... or GSv4 for psx.. all you do is insert it... then when it stops spining swap it with a ps1 backup... then play nothing to it...

thats aobut all you wanted to know right?...

3. Sam334

Sam334 Guest

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, your reply is very helpful.

In response to my question about the "special boot," you say it's used to boot DVDrips, but swap magic comes with two separate discs, one for CD based games and the other for DVD based games. Special boot is an option on the CD based game boot disc.

Heh, about the V1 PS2 I have, it's never given me a problem and I've had it since a few months after the initial launch. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones :)

Again, thanks for the info.

-Stephen

4. Sam334

Sam334 Guest

Also, in response to your post in the other thread about what dvd rw to get, what is your personal recommendation out of all of those (I want to burn movies, and ps2 dvd games)

-Stephen

5. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

well out of them all... you should give the A06 a try... i got me A05 for 2 years now... and it didnt fail me yet.. so if you want a good DVR get the A06...

as for the dvdrips they quite common today.. a dvdrip is the game taken from the dvd to a cd but missing some movies music and stuff like that... now whats so special you ask?... well some dvd rips have the thing i call 80mins.. they made on 80min cd... and sadly the ps2 wont boot a dvdrip that goes over 74mins... so why you ask?.... why is simple the ps2 reads regular ps2 cd games... but the idea of them that they are on a 74min cd... and not 80 so the ps2 WONT read a 80min dvdrip... so this special option was made to boot a dvdrip that goes over the limit of 74mins... thats all....
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]my love has left me... im all alone again... without you my love... i would just die :([/small]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  6. jay33

jay33 Regular member

WHat ever burner you decide on, getting a dual format (+ & -) is highly recommended. I have 2 Sony dual format DVD burners installed in my computer and they work great.

7. Sam334

Sam334 Guest

Thanks guys. Cyp, I think I'm going with the A06 then. If I have a problem with it, I'll sucker-punch you :)

-Stephen