1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A slimline?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by fatleon5, Feb 20, 2007.

1. fatleon5

fatleon5 Regular member

hello, I was thinking of getting a slimline ps2 but wanted to know if there any good or not. I've heard that it does not get the disc read error problem at all, which is what killed off my other 3 ps2's, but is there another error on the slimline? Could someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a slimline and what version would be best ( scph ) I also heard that on a certain version of slimline the laser dies very quickly, and i've heard that the slimline is boobytrapped when you open it up, so how would you replace a broken laser?
    Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. BIGnewb

BIGnewb Guest

slimlines still do get disc read errors.key thing to do is never play dvd movies on it and never plays cds on it.and it does also occur that discs stop spinning so any ps2 is bad and im pissed at sony for being retarded even though i love ps2.

3. fatleon5

fatleon5 Regular member

ok tar. I never play dvd films and cds in a ps2 anyway, if i get a slimline ill want to get a fliptop to use my swapmagic with it, are these easy to install? do you just take the cover off and replace it with the fliptop?

4. BIGnewb

BIGnewb Guest

yea thats a great idea.i wish you lots of luck.use good media.ritek,taiyo yuden,verbatim,fujifilm

5. fatleon5

fatleon5 Regular member

I normally use ritek and they seem to work fine but I might switch to taiyo yuden because there supposed to be even better. Thanks alot for all your help.

6. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

i have a v12 thats just about to go out of warranty. think i might be trading it in on a new one. v14 are supposed to solve the laser problem, but i still recommend doing what BIGnewb said. don't play dvd movies or music cds (kind of ironic huh? LOL) PS2 version chart

7. fatleon5

fatleon5 Regular member

I have another question, Ive recently heard from my friend that if you play a slimline for 2 hours+ it overheats and can mess up is this true or is he talkin out his arse? If he is right then I might just get a good old fat ps2 version 7 or something

8. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

My slim PlayStation 2(Version 14) takes about half an hour to heat up to what I consider to be a dangerous heat level(the fan speeds up twice, and this only seems to occur when I play my backup of WRC Rally Evolved(burnt on a Taiyo-dyed DVD-R, and it's a really graphically demanding game, as well as still running in 50hz, as it's a PAL game) or for a long while on my other driving games. It gets me really frustrated that I can't even drive in peace without worrying about that damn fan speeding up all the time. I might as well get a fat Version 1 to 7 when this one breaks or overheats(which hasn't occured yet, plus, my warranty expired in December, well, prematurely, as I installed the chip in it in July last year).

9. d3r3k

d3r3k Member

I have a Slim V12, (no chip yet) sometimes play for like 6 hrs straight, also watch DVDs and listen to cds on it and its still workin fine, had it for about 2 years.

10. fatleon5

fatleon5 Regular member

hmmmmm..... now I dont know what to do, it seems like 50-50 with slimlines whether they heat up and die or just work fine, and the right version of a fat ps2 seems hard to find, the ones on ebay are mostly the silver one or the v10 one which I had before and I dont know how to solder so I couldnt do the romeo mod thing. I suppose ill just keep an eye on ebay for a cheap V5 or V7, since im a poor student I need to spend my money wisely ;D

11. BIGnewb

BIGnewb Guest

get a ps2 from classifieds on kijiji

usa: www.kijiji.com

canada: www.kijiji.ca

12. fatleon5

fatleon5 Regular member

Thanks for the links but im in the United Kingdom :D