1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A steal on DL disks

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by tucknroll, Oct 12, 2007.

1. tucknroll

tucknroll Member

I ran across these at the Best Buy down the road. At first I thought they were misplaced...25 pack for $9.99? I passed a salesman right as I was looking closer. The price tage below just said DVD+R but the package said DL. I brought this to his attention thinking they were misplaced as I already had a 25 pack of Memorex DL disks in my hand that were marked around $50. He scanned them...nope, correct price!
    I bought a single pack just to see how good they were. Hell, even at a 33% coaster rate they were still a decent price. Out of the first 10 I burned 5 were coasters. HOWEVER...my burner was starting to produce more coasters than I could drink beers in a night. My faithful Lite-On had served me very well for several years, but alas it's writing days were numbered. I bought 2 new Lite-On drives (a steal at NewEgg for ~$35 a piece). Out of the 15 left there were no coasters!!! I went back tonight and gladly bought the rest of their stock, only 4 packs left :( Funny thing, I accidently had a 15 pack, and it cost more!

Anyhow, I just thought I would share my luck and joy. At this price, DVD-Shrink is a thing of the past! If you have a Best Buy near you, keep a lookout for these: http://computers.pricegrabber.com/storage-media/m/7954542/search=review+memorex+32025647
    I hope they stick around for a while, and I hope I'm not the only lucky one! Perhaps they'll serve everyone else as well as they have served me so far.

Tuck

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

the memorex DVD+R DL will code out as Ritek media which is pretty good stuff. I'm sure the price is a mistake and they will correct it quickly.

dvd shrink will still work with help (anydvd or dvd fab decrypter) plus it still works for older movies

3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

I'll bet the DL discs you bought were 8X. If so, you ran into the good news/bad news situation. Bad news--8X DL are inverse stack production that likely will not work with older drives. Good news--inverse stack media are less expensive and have a far better yield rate. Maybe Memorex and Best Buy are passing the savings on to you--unless somebody screwed up the pricing.

4. tucknroll

tucknroll Member

They say 2.4x on the side so I'm assuming they're the older ones. As far as the pricing is concerned...pretty sure it's a screwup. But maybe I'll stay lucky when they restock their supply.

5. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Interesting thing, if you go to BestBuy.com, there a picture of a Memorex DL tub for the "clock on" for double layer discs, click on it to go to the DLs, again, the photo but no Memorex DLs available for purchase.

I think they are selling out their inventory and won't be replacing it (or only with the 8x DLs).

I picked up a Geek Squad Gold 6ft 4pin to 6 pin firewire cable for $6.99, marked down from $35.99. Was told they are coming out with something new and were selling off the old stuff.