1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Strange problem with Maxell DVD-R's

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by sean5775, Feb 10, 2005.

1. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I bought 2 100 spindles of Maxell DVD-R's while they were on sale a month ago. Well got through exactly 50 on the first spindle and every disc after that is completely white on both sides, basically they are not DVD-R's or are only partially manufactured.

The store will not refund or exchange them for me, I think they should. Just wondering has anyone else had a similar problem with Maxell or any other media?

I have contacted Maxell in regards to this, I at least want to have the 50 that I cannot use replaced.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Are these the yellow tops -4x or the gold tops -8x?

I have never heard of the maxell 100 packs.Did they look like a generic package like it was re-packaged or did it have the transparent like shrink wrapping with maxell dvd-r?

I used quite a few of both yellow and gold tops and they are very good,no coasters,and re-ripping them is easy.

What store were these bought at?

I get mine at office depot and they said I can return them as long as I have the original shrink wrapper.

Go download the free dvd identifier 3.6.1 in the software tab/dvd-r tools/ and click on dvd identifier. I am curious to see how those will code out for the manufacturers code. It's a very handy program. Test the ones that looked ok. Those ones with white on both sides sounds like there is no dye,so I don't know if they will give you a code. Very strange.

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

[bold]sean5775[/bold]

Can you tell us the name of the store that refuses to refund or exchange defective disks. I for one would love to know who to stay away from when making such a purchase.

4. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

Im in Canada (Toronto) and about 1 month ago FutureShop (owned by Best Buy USA) had the Maxell 100 spindle on sale for $50. They do exist. I purchased 4 spindle 2 DVD-R and 2 DVD+R. I have already gone through 200 with no problems.

They scanned with DVD INFO PRO as RITEK G04 and RITEK R02 and MXL RG03.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/144396

If your in Canada and it was FutureShop call the 1800-number and complain. If the discs are defective they should take them back.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  5. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Yes it was Future Shop they are the yellow top maxell 4X -R's
    They are media code Ritek GO4 and the ones that are plain white will not give any readings in my drives. It just closes and then opens up again, saying invalid disc type or something like that.

I know that package was not tampered with and that they are genuine.

I called the 800 number and they were not a whole bunch of help

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey sean, that's a load of crap.It says on the label"limited life-time warranty"!
    I have heard a few bad stories on future shop. To ALL at AD, let's boycot Future Shop!lol

7. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I got positive results by contacting maxell, I am getting a free 100 Spindle shipped to me by courier they tell me. Thats all I am after.

Yes I know future shop sucks when it comes to customer service. I bought a computer off them once, I learned from my mistake. Also the way they handle rebates is rediculous, I have waited nearly 2 years to get the last thing I bought from them that was cheap, only because of a rebate, I just got the cheque last week. So I already sort of boycotted them, I just buy certain items there when they are on sale for really good prices, Like DVD media.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Good prices or not, if a vendor sells a product they should back it up with either a refund or store credit. In your case, it seems that the DVD media just didn't get to be a finished product. There is no excuse for the store to not honor some form of compensation. You need to contact their main headquarters, their main man, etc. and let them know of your grief, whether you finally got it handled by Maxell or not.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Yeah sean dont buy from them ever again man try ..meritline.com supermediastore.com rima.com newegg.com and others out there, good luck

10. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Well im in Canada Im not paying customs charges to buy from those sites. But I know of others.