1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Set-Up Question (HDMI/Optical/etc)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by PunisherX, May 8, 2007.

1. PunisherX

PunisherX Member

I'm trying to optimize all the next gens with my received/tv set-up...

I've got the PS3 HDMI going into the TV's HDMI port, and the Optical going from the PS3 to the receiver.. Should I have it going to the TV instead, or is HDMI going to provide the optimum audio connection already?

If that's the case, do I not need the optical for the PS3 at all then?

Next up... is the 360. This is an afterthought really, because I've already got decent surround sound with the premium cables going into the receiver.. is there any gain available if I utilize optical as well? Another question with that is if I've got the 360 set to Video 1, how do I use both V1 and Optical 1 at the same time? Or is that not necessary.

ugh. Audiophile noob

2. shabre

shabre Member

If your reciever is HDMI compatibale, plug the HDMI to your reciever, then the HDMI out on the reciever to the tv. HDMI provides lossless audio, unlike the optical audio, which is compressed. If your reciever does not have HDMI, then you have no other choice and I would run HDMI directly to the tv and optical to the reciever. Does the PS3 have 5.1 analog outputs and your reciever have 5.1 analog inputs?

Hope this helps

3. PunisherX

PunisherX Member

I'm good, got it all figured out.

Got the HDMI from the PS3 going to the HDMI in the TV, and optical going to the receiver.. so I can choose if I want TV sound or surround on the fly.

Will do the same with the Elite once I upgrade, but I have the Premium running to the TV as well as the optical going to the receiver. Same set-ups, both systems. ;)

Time to pwn on Gears.