1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Way You Can;t Get Banned

Discussion in 'PS2' started by rhem, Aug 27, 2004.

1. rhem

rhem Regular member

THanx to Thinkdiff and many other people helping me with Dnas I have figured something out.
    Tell me if I'm L8 but dis is wat I figured out.
    1. Sony Ban Your IP adress right
    2. So what If you had a router which updates ur IP frequentlly. U could neva get banned. Cause your IP will always b updating.

Any Good

Buy Here:
    http://www.feama.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=BEFSR41-UK-KK

Rhem

2. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

i think it actually bans your ps2 id. like a computer has a static and dynamic ip address one can be changed and one stays with it forever (cant remember which is which) so the ps2 people ban your ps2 id that cannot be changed as of now. at keast i think thats how it works =/

3. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If I were Sony, I would ban the MAC address of the Network Adapter. The only issue with that is a banned individual could simply buy a new network adapter and sell the banned one to another person who would likely be at a loss as to why they were having so much trouble getting online.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Getting a router wouldn't work. The router assigns ip addresses to things attached to it which can be changed, but the ip address everyone on the internet sees doesn't change (only your isp can do that).

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I still think they probably ban the MAC address of your PS2 Network Adapter.

6. rhem

rhem Regular member

So getting a Router won't help
    Well at least we get 3 warnings
    I'm jus gonna do this Dnas thing untill I;m on my 3rd Warning. THen I'd problly buy the games back.
    Can get them cheap on Amazon and eBay

7. DanN7650

DanN7650 Member

They can't ban the MAC address cos we dont have to register it with them. But My IP address changes everyone once a week. My MAC address is register with the my ISP which is blueyonder. So theres no chance they will give out the info to 3rd Party's and my file is confidtenal.

Raiders

8. Xian

Xian Regular member

Dan, He is not talking about the MAC of your Cable/DSL modem but of the Sony network adapter itself. Every network device in the world has a unique MAC and that is sent with the packet so it would be easy to ban on that.

Every IP address resolves to a MAC through a process called arp. Every manufacturer is assigned a range of MACs that they can use by the IANA. You can type arp -a from a command line to see the arp cache on your computer. The Physical Address is the MAC address. Networking communicates through the physical addresses. IP and DNS addresses are just for people to make it easier than having to remember a 48bit MAC but the IP and DNS still have to be converted to a MAC for networking devices to talk.

9. DanN7650

DanN7650 Member

Well, I know he was talking about PS2 and the Router/DSL Cable MAC address.

I've learned Networking in my Class last year i knw pretty much of it! i got a A in it! anyone can code its to change it automatically every week. I've done that.

10. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Actually, MAC addresses cannot be seen across routers directly with the arp command and they cannot be changed with any code as how they are burned into the ROM's of network adapters but most likely online enabled PS2 game software queries your mac address and sends it directly to Sony much like how I could go into your system query your MAC address and then send it to myself VIA email or some other means. I'm sure that Sony is well aware of the dynamic nature of ISP assigned IP addresses and the way I described obtaining your MAC address above would not require them to contact your ISP.

11. Xian

Xian Regular member

Actually they can. The command "show arp" on a Cisco router will show any active arp entries of a directly connected device. You can also turn on packet debugging to see the layer 2 header which will have the MAC. I do it all the time at work. When someone gets a virus we block their MAC at the router or the switch, depending on their connection. If you only blocked their IP they could just reboot and get the DHCP server to assign a different IP but with their MAC blocked they are dead in the water.

Also, they can be changed. You are right that a MAC is burned in, but it can be spoofed. The old DECNET protocol did it all the time - used it's own assigned MAC instead of the burned in one. That's why when you do a "show interface" command on a Cisco router you will get 2 entries for the MAC - the real one which is the one listed after the BIA (Burned in Address) and the assigned one. Most of the time they are the same but the one can be spoofed.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  12. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Intersting, as far as PC stuff goes I'll have to try that. But as far as the purposes of this topic goes, I don't think Sony could do any of that stuff since I doubt anybody here would be directly connect to a Cisco router that Sony would have administrative access to. Plus online enabled Sony games for the PS2 don't have MAC spoofing capability and I'm almost certain that the PS2 Network Adapter's MAC address is used in the DNAS process leading me to my original theory that the MAC address of your network adapter is the only remotely identifiable part in your PS2 for purposes of banning.

13. endothorn

endothorn Guest

Sony only use your PS2 machine ID to ban you from online play, they dont use your ip or mac addresses because they know as well as anyone that it is very easy to change(ip)or disguise(mac)these. The guys over at ps2ownz are currently working on a PS2 Machine ID Changer the benefits of this will include:

# Change your PS2 Machine ID to bypass getting 'banned' from PS2 on-line play.

# Change your PS2 Machine ID to play any region games on any region PS2 on-line.

# EXTRAS: Undisclosed at this time, but a few other cool MC/HDD things.

14. rhem

rhem Regular member

So does this mean Routers do nothin and are a waste of money in this departmant.

15. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I'm not sure about the machine ID theory as how I believe the MAC address is the machine ID. I have yet to find a machine ID embedded anywhere in the PS2 but in either case, a router will not change the situation. I would be a little more trusting of information from ps2ownz if they would be a little more open with their forums.

16. garycope

garycope Guest

Recently my ps2 will not boot past the ps2 logo when I use an online game. It doesn't matter if it's an orignal or backup after the ps2 logo the screen turns black and I hear the cd-rom running but nothing but black. If remove the network adapter then the game runs fine but I can't get online because NO Adapter! does anyone else have this trouble.I've been online for a month with a backup of splinter cell PT. But I just started trying to get online with star wars battlefront and thats when this started to happen. now I can't get online with any dnas games. I can get online with socom and the older online games. I am starting to think that they ban the network adapter not the ps2.

Gary

17. DanN7650

DanN7650 Member

Or otherwise the copy is copied wrong

18. garycope

garycope Guest

It can't be copied wrong it happens with backups and orignals!

gary

19. DanN7650

DanN7650 Member

go to here psxforums and ask around for the PS2 ID changer. they call back and tell us if it does work or doesn't but it should to the trick.

20. garycope

garycope Guest

I went to Walmart and got a new network adapter and everything works great now. I really think they banned my adapter.

gary