1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A whole lot of problems with my ps2!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by xbirdyx, Mar 19, 2005.

1. xbirdyx

xbirdyx Member

ok first off i've been having way to many problems with the ps2.

My first ps2 was a v3 and it was about 2 years old. I got a duo v2 SE modchip installed in it and it played backups fine until a week later it didn't read any games and when you turn it on, the ps2 would ask what language to put and it resets all of the configuration.

so i sent it back to person who installed the modchip and he gave me a new v4 ps2 with the same modchip installed. I used memorex dvd-rs for my backups and i thought they were good media cause they played perfectly, but then a month later it stopped reading dvd games, I guess memorex was bad media. I tried fixing the problem myself my cleaning the lens, adjusting it etc, but it didn't do anything and I ended up pinching the wires for the fan and now that doesn't work.

so, now i use a large fan to cool my ps2, and I decided I would play cd based games until the laser was dead and needed to be replaced. Well just yesterday the discs weren't spinning anymore and the ps2 wouldn't show anything on the tv when i turned it on.

Is this because of my laser being dead? Is it fixible by replacing a new laser or should i just get a new ps2?

2. xbirdyx

xbirdyx Member

can anyone help me? i really need to know if i should buy a new ps2 or do i just need a fan and a new laser, I want to spend the least amount of money as possible.

3. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Wow, that is quite a bit of bad luck you have going on with your ps2's.

To start off, I would say that you using Memorex dvd-r's is not a problem at all. I have been backing up my ps2 games for about a year now and have used Memorex for 90% of my backups and never had a problem with them. If you would like to change your media, check out this site http://www.geocities.com/modchipzone/dvdmediaguide1.htm

It sounds like your laser is failing in your ps2, seeing that you cannot read dvd-r's anymore. Usually it is the other way around, the ps2 cannot read CD-R's very well, but I have heard cases of this before in the past and never have seen an exact answer on how to fix it. I don't know if adjusting the laser would fix the problem, but it is something you could try.?.

Here is what I think you should do... Go onto http://www.richspsxparts.com/ and e-mail them your problem and ask them what they think you should do. If they suggest getting a new laser, that might not be a bad idea. Also, you can buy a new fan off of this site for $20.00.

If you just end up wanting to get a different ps2, I would highly suggest going to http://www.steelcityelectronics.com/

When on the site, look under the bargains link and it shows that you can buy a refurbished v7 ps2 that comes with any chip of choice (I would suggest the duo2se) and has a warranty for $170. This also comes with 1 controller, hookups, and has free shipping. This site is very credible, and I know this because my friends and I have ordered from this guy before and he does some great work!