1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A xbox mod beginner looking for a mentor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by 2majestic, Nov 29, 2004.

1. 2majestic

2majestic Guest

SOS- i am a beginner in this whole xbox mod thing. I need someone to show me (teach me) how to modify my xbox so that I can download games and dvds onto my xbox hard-drive. One catch is that I have a Mac (OSX). But, I'm a cpu tech. so I do catch on quickly. What is the first thing I need to do? Someone Help!!!!

2. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

3. Degallle

Degallle Regular member

That is the best place to start, and even now modding has become so easy that it's so much harder to mess up than it was before so you should be a little careful about what you do and make sure you backup when and where possible to ensure a easy fix in case of mess ups.

Have fun getting into the modding scene,
    Degalle

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Can't bold thread titles champ. I fixed it for you :)

5. 2majestic

2majestic Guest

Thanks pimpin'. Do you think it's easier to do the work yourself or order one pre-modified? Because I saw a site that does it for you.

6. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

It's much easier to softmod it. Same result occurs, plus you can get everything at a local best buy or game store.

7. 2majestic

2majestic Guest

But I think I'm going to have to buy it because I don't know how to solder at all!

8. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Well, if you want to then go ahead. Softmodding is becoming more popular because mod chips really aren't all special. Remember, it's the BIOS that allows the xbox to read other DVD/CD media besides retail.

9. 2majestic

2majestic Guest

Oh, really?! So then what exactly is BIOS. I've been hearing a lot about this. This is what makes the xbox do dvd's?

10. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

The bios is manages what the Xbox DVD drive read and doesn't read. All Xbox drives have a standard Microsoft bios that allows them to read ONLY retail games, retail DVD's, and retail AUDIO Cd's. With a new bios, the perimeter expands, allowing the drive to read other discs besides retail, which is how you play backups on the xbox.

11. Stuman

Stuman Member

Fair enough on the games but my xbox played back-up dvd's and cd's before it was chipped.

I think they are more to do with the dvd drive in the xbox...

12. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

And where did you get your xbox? Because there's no way in hell that you played a backup or bootleg without a different BIOS.

13. Stuman

Stuman Member

Dixons.

I do disagree with your statement though. My cousin has an unmodded xbox and he too can play backup dvd's and cd's. i think it is a combination of media used and dvd drive in the xbox. I know of many xboxes (& PS2's ) that have played back up's.

The bios in the chip simply bypasses the security code within the game. This is what allows it to play back-ups.

As far as the media goes I always use ritek dye discs and burn at very low speeds (less than 2x speed) and this always seems to work.

The Samsung drive (in my experience) is the best drive for compatibility, although the Philips and Thompson drives do most often work with ritek discs they can be dodgy with other media. The speed of the burn does make the difference in most cases.

P.S. I am not exactly inexperienced in this matter, I have produced dozens of back ups played on many un modded machines. The only problems I have ever experienced while using ritek dye discs is from too high a burn speed.

14. madcav

madcav Member

Yes an unmodded box will play coppied DVD's. As long as they're good coppies.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  15. 2majestic

2majestic Guest

My unmodded xbox plays bootleg dvd's but not cd's. So, I'm still going to get the bois because i have a ton of good ol' american illegal music to put on there! Where do i get the bois from?

16. Stuman

Stuman Member

dont know if we are allowed to say on this forum.

PM me

17. fadedindi

fadedindi Member

Any ol Xbox will play burned DVDs. The tricky part is getting it to play backup games.

xbox-scene can tell you how to do it (search for UDE for xbox 1.5 and lower, and UDE2 for xbox 1.6). Good luck.

18. crashxx

crashxx Member

Hello, I'm doing a bit of research for a buddy who has an X Box and I want to make sure I understand things correctly. If you want to change to a larger HD and backup your games to that HD, all you need to do is flash the BIOS with one that supports that? No modd chip needed? Thanks for the help.

19. Stuman

Stuman Member

It is possible to do a softmod yeah

20. crashxx

crashxx Member

could you elaborate or direct me to a site on "soft mod"?
    Thanks