1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aaargh! I've tried everything!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by McNewbie, Jan 3, 2003.

1. McNewbie

McNewbie Member

I'm trying to burn VCDs to play on my standalone DVD players. (Koss C220 & Norcent DP300) Both are capable of VCD playback and using CD-Rs and CD-RWs. I've enabled playback and made them both region free using their respective hacks. Everythng I can do at that end.
    I've used TMPGEnc to convert AVI into MPEG.
    I've used the Nero guides from VCDHelp.com and Afterdawn.com step by step several times...Burned at 4x and eveything.
    AND STILL NO PLAYBACK!
    What could I possibly be doing wrong?

2. McNewbie

McNewbie Member

Me again.
    When I burn using Nero there is a check box for CDi. Do I keep it checked or do I uncheck it?
    I've tried burning a copy both ways and neither one will play on my standalones or even in Media Player....

3. herfy's

herfy's Member

i know this might be a strange question but did it play in your media player to start with before you encoded it with tmpeng.

4. McNewbie

McNewbie Member

Thanks for the reply!
    Yes they did play in Media Player. As well as Quicktime and DivX, since they were AVI files before hand. Even after using TPMGEnc to encode them as MPEGs they played in all of my players. It's only when I try to play a burned VCD that I can't get playback...

5. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

The only thing i can suggest is to start at the beginning and ensure your player really can play a burnt s/vcd. I once had a player that was supposed to do this and that (alba) (stop laughing) but it wouldn't. Get a mate who has a guaranteed working disc to try on your player and go from there.

Frosty

Last edited: Jan 4, 2003
  6. McNewbie

McNewbie Member

Thanks Frostbite!
    I just assumed since my players were capable of VCD and CD-R/RW playback that it would work. It never occured to me that they wouldn't support VCDs burned on CD-R/RW...
    I've just about given up on trying anyway, it's been driving me nuts!
    It appears my Norcent player will play MPEGs burned strictly as data CD's so maybe I'll go that route.

7. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

A bit more info,try www.vcdhelp.com .There are reviews on dvd players and both of yours are mentioned there, although it sounds like u may cry when u read the koss review :)What exactly is happening when u try and play a burnt disc, is there anything actually on the disc?

Frosty