1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

abnormally slow ripping speed....

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Halen5150, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Okay;

So I just build my own computer and all; but while trying to backup my first movie on this computer, Lord of War, it seems as though it's ripping a lot slower than it should; especially for a burner in 18x ratings...o_O...

....so I did some research and found that some burners come with a block on them limiting your ripping speeds-----and I'm trying to figure out if I just happen to be one of those people that bought into one....because my speeds never get any higher than 3,000KB/s on DVD shrink encodes......which I find to be very weird when you take a look at my specs in my sig....?

Lemme know if you think I'm a victim of this "block" and if you know of a solution to taking it off; please let me know. Thanx.

--Halen5150

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

another reason why for slow ripping speeds is dma issues.
    U should check that first.

What is the make, model and firmware of ur burner?

3. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Well duh; of course dma is on;;;lol...that was the first thing I checked...lool

Anyways; my burner is an LG GSA-H42N--as for the firmware; I'm not exactly sure what revision I have....

p.s. as I was searching over the cdfreaks forums; I found that this burner does in fact have a thing called RipLock; which limits ur read speed; so I was thinking maybe I should just return this burner to the place I bought it......and hopefully somebody could reccomend me a good dvd burner for about 30 bucks or less which will do the same that mine can; except it won't have RIPLOCK??? Because I'm an avid backupper and this RipLock thing is incredibly aggravating when it comes to showing 'how fast your system is'...lol...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

what is the current transfer mode?

As for buying a burner that doesn't have the riplock not sure about that, wait for more replys about that.

Did u use a 40 pin ide cable or a 80 pin cable?

I believe my pioneer has that riplock too, but i am able to rip at 10x-12x rate.

5. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Well; I have all my IDE channels set to the highest DMA levels that are offered; and it turns out that I came back down stairs after a few min. more of ripping and was surprised to see that it was capable of getting about a 4.1x rip speed.....although that's still not as fast as it could be going....

...and as for how pins on the cable; I'm not totally sure; but I'm pretty sure that I'm using a normal 40 pin IDE cable....

...At least; I'm using the cable that was included with my motherboard....

....Really? That's amazing that you can get those speeds w/ riplock; because mine, when running DVD Decrypter; never got over a speed of 4.1x ...?..

P.S. As for "buying a new drive", I decided not to, for I will just wait for a firmware update on my specific drive; and eventually I may be willing to hack/patch the firmware to eliminate the riplock.

Thanx;

Halen5150

6. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Is ur burners Current transfer mode; at Ultra DMA mode 4?

It needs to be that for maximum ripping speed.

Also i too had a problem with ripping speed, my ultra dma transfer mode wouldn't go higher than 2 so i changed my Ide cable to a 80 pin becuz of the suggestion from binkie and that fixed my rippping speed.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hello halen5150,

Unfortunatley most DVD RW's just don't rip very fast no matter which brand you have. I would recommend you get a cheap $20 DVD ROM drive these are much better and quicker at ripping a DVD and they are not locked not to mention it will save on wear and tear of your burner. LiteOns seem to be the best for this IMO.

8. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

@bbmayo

AYE!! I like your idea...

..only thing is; I'm wondering--Do they also put that RipLock crap on DVD-Rom's??? or is that just on the dvd rewriters??? Because I want to make sure that the next optical drive I get doesn't have that crap on it...otherwise it would defeat my purpose of getting another drive after this LG one...lol....

...so if you know of any dvd rom that doesn't have riplock/drm built into it and are sure will work 100% max speed; it'd be cool if you could reccomend me one for the best bang/buck possible. Thanx.;)

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well in my opinion you cant go wrong with a LiteOn drive here is one from NewEgg for $18 LiteOn LH-16D1P-186 you can get them even a little cheaper if you buy OEM. I am not aware of any DVD ROM being rip-locked though so you can probably get any of them and still do better than a DVD RW drive ever will. What I like about the LiteOns is
    I am currently using an ASUS drive, but I will soon be getting another LiteOn. I am not sure why I went with the ASUS on this build I guess I just wanted to try something else as I normally do, but the LiteOn's are much better.

10. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

sweet--one more thing though...

From looking at all those drives; it seems as though they all use the E-IDE interface....

...and my ? is this: What's the diff. between IDE and E-IDE just more pins or what??

Also; if I did in fact get an E-IDE drive; would it be compatible with my MSI K9N4 SLI board; because it doesn't really talk much about the E-IDE interface at all in the manual; it's much more the IDE. So please clarify that.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That board will definitely support E-IDE. There really is no difference IDE is the older standard and much slower than E-IDE, but everyone still calls the drives IDE (especially the manufacturers) when they say IDE now a days they really mean E-IDE. You won't have any problems trust me :)