1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About 50% of backups work, half dont...HELP please

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ReedW, Oct 5, 2004.

1. ReedW

ReedW Member

Hello, I recently started to back up my dvd collection for college and I have run into a problem I have been using DVDXCOPY Express to copy them and it has been working flawless...or so I thought. I tried to watch one on my Xbox and it didnt work. I got the error msg that said that Xbox didnt recognize the disc. Now this is odd for several reasons. First I have watched several of the discs that i had already burned with no problems, same media, same burning technique. Alright, so i recopied it thinking there was a problem, no such luck, still stalled out loading the disc. I tried it using a stand alone player that I KNOW can read DVD+Rs--no luck. So I went through my whole collection of copies, about 15, and about 7 of them caused the exact same problem. I even tried them in my computer, and it acted like it wasnt even a movie. I tried to use DVDXCOPY platnium, no luck. I also downloaded Anydvd and Clone DVD2, and once again no problems with burning or ripping, but they refuse to play. Could someone please help? Thanks in advance

2. ReedW

ReedW Member

BTW I am using noname media that I bought off the internet. But I cant imagine that the problem is caused by the media because I have retried several of the copies over and over again and each time those movies caused problems. Thanks again

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's most likely your problem. Low quality media is notoriously inconsistent, some work some don't, as well becoming unreadable after a relatively short amount of time due to poor data integrity.

Use this tool to get the manufacturer ID off the media and let us know what it is.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/336091.html

4. ReedW

ReedW Member

I tried that prog to ID the discs and it is not working here is the error msg "
    "
    [23:28:52] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 1 (Original ADIP)
    [23:28:52] ADIP Read M1 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [23:28:52] ADIP Read Method 1 Not Supported ; A Firmware Upgrade Is Recommended
    [23:28:52] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 2 (Copy Of ADIP)
    [23:28:52] ADIP Read M2 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [23:28:52] ADIP Read Method 2 Requires A Written DVD+R/+RW Disc
    [23:28:52] Disc Identification Did Not Complete Successfully"

Also I dont understand why the media would be to blame as I have tried the same disc many times with different discs with no luck. BTW an update. I tried a few on my friends comp with the same set up, save DVDXCOPY and same discs and he is able to copy the movies in questions...the plot thickens.....Thanks for your continuted help!

5. ReedW

ReedW Member

Alright I realized that you need a full disc to do the ID so i put one that was working. It was an Optodisc, by the optodisc technology corp. Media type OR4. Sorry for the confusion

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there ReedW,

Phase CHANGE isn't one of your better dye types. You need a much, much better grade of DVD discs.

USE RiData, Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim DataLife, Verbatim DataLife Plus, media boasting “Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Other media could very well cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is defiantly not the time to put your, "Boy did I save money buying this crappy cheap stuff." in - )

When I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to the type of composite some manufactures use, their method of dye application and the lack of OR the poor quality control used during manufacturing. When I say "Branded" that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

BTW, when I'm talking about "Cheapo" media, I'm not saying it won't burn - Some of it may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. I'm saying that you can expect problems from it. i.e., trouble with it being recognized OR playing in standalone players, "Skipping" and "Freezing". Use it at your own risk and we'll not say, "I told you so." if you don't come back and complain about problems with your backups. That's a good deal, right ? Yea, I knew you'd agree -

Cheers,

Pete

7. ReedW

ReedW Member

Alright I dont mean to harp, you have been exceedingly helpful, but it does it make sense that I have, through three discs have not been able to burn copies of certian movies, while a friend had no trouble whatsoever using the same media. Also, I'll probably buy a pack of ridatas, but am unsure of the GO4s. Are they the one with the arrow and the green spindle
    http://www.meritline.com/ritek-ridata-4x-dvd-r-plus-blank-media.html Thanks again for all your help!!!

8. Nephilim

What make/model burners are you and your friend using? What firmware versions?

Different makes and models of drives use different firmwares which can make a world of difference in performance with any given brand/type of media.

9. HHaVoCC

HHaVoCC Member

Nice tip on the DVD Identifier software. Thank you.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKG04]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disc Type : [DVD-R]
    Manufacturer ID : [RITEKG04]
    Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Co.]
    Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x] (8x Cannot Be Detected)
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

10. ReedW

ReedW Member

Well I have evidently have the infamous toshiba sd-r6252 which has, on other forums (http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=24727&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0), been blamed for systemic problems such as mine. I am calling HP to today to get the scoop

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ReedW,

The site you linked to about the RiData disc are indeed G04 discs. I've got many hundreds of burns with them, you'll do fine with them.

Cheers,

Pete

12. lexxy_pie

lexxy_pie Member

Are all RiData Ritek disks cool to use? The G05's and so forth? I'm about to drop a large amount of money on a 100 spindle and just want to confirm.

13. Nephilim

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Again, let's stick with the G04's, OK ?

Pete

15. lexxy_pie

lexxy_pie Member

there's several different kinds of RiTek here, including the G04s -- but those are only 4x.

http://www.blankdvdmedia.com/ridata8xsm.php

i'm in Canada, by the way. so this is probably among the cheapest deals i can get.

if you guys aren't sure about the G05's, guess i'll make due with the 4X G04's and just wait the extra 20 minutes out.

16. Nephilim

[​IMG]

These are the very same Riteks that I use. They've been very good to me :)

17. hayngirl

hayngirl Guest

i have the same problem. i have been using dvd x copy platinum for the last 6 months with no problems but lately it seems my backups are freezing i use the same media (phillips, memorex and maxell) but towards the end it seems to stall also it adds time onto the reading. i don't think it's the media(same as i've always used) still confused is it time to switch please advise...... i have used this media as a backup several times b4 i tried shutting off mcafee and getting rid of interactual player any other steps i can take?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2004
  18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Haygirl,

I see no reason to shut down McAfee. I've run it for years without problems.

You might want to uninstall it then reinstall it - make sure you have everything for a reinstall first as there isn't any tech support to turn to.

If that doesn't work, let us know and we'll hook you up with a decent FREE proggy to do your backups with -

Cheers,

Pete & welcome to aD

19. hayngirl

hayngirl Guest

i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it still doesn't seem to work. platinum will not backup at all (it doesn't read at all like they are not communicating software and driver) and dvd rescue will backup but i can not get the backups to play on stand alone. is there any other method i can try. before having to go to other programs..... very new at this please help.....

20. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hi hayngirl,
    have you done a defrag of your system lately.With the amount of data that your computer processes due to the transfer of dvd info you need to do one on a regular basis.This might decrease the time it takes to burn a disc